VOGONS

ITX-Llama (Vortex86EX ITX motherboard) - DONE!

Topic actions

Reply 480 of 501, by ahmadexp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snipe3687 wrote on 2024-05-18, 14:14:
ahmadexp wrote on 2024-03-27, 21:33:
Thank you for your words. Of course I will share the case. Here is the link: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/355147325878 and here is wh […]
Show full quote
Dothan Burger wrote on 2024-03-27, 18:00:

I love this setup. You truly have created something special here my guy. It fits with what I feel the whole principle of this build should be.

Would you mind sharing the name of the case you used? If not that's cool

Do you think the AGP riser would work without shortening it? I just don't have the skill to do all that soldering without spazzing out and ripping something.

Thank you for your words. Of course I will share the case. Here is the link: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/355147325878
and here is where I got the riser: https://www.moddiy.com/products/AGP-16X-8X-Ex … Riser-15cm.html

I think you probably need to go the copper shielding to get it work. I believe, you should give it a try. Worst case I will try my best to help you.

And here is a picture of the IO panel.

I just ordered the same case, how did you cut out the I/O shield? I want to give it a try but don’t want to have to redo it a bunch of times either!

I use an ultrasonic knife. You can do it with old soldering iron with the sharp tip or a Dremel

Reply 481 of 501, by ahmadexp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snipe3687 wrote on 2024-05-18, 13:32:
Absolutely! […]
Show full quote
ahmadexp wrote on 2024-05-18, 02:01:
Any chance you can provide more info to how you got the lower and higher fuse value set. If you can add your hex file that woul […]
Show full quote
snipe3687 wrote on 2024-05-08, 12:23:
That's my thought as well! My gut was telling me that I needed to flash something on it but I'm a noob at this stuff still, so I […]
Show full quote

That's my thought as well! My gut was telling me that I needed to flash something on it but I'm a noob at this stuff still, so I thought there was a chance I missed something and maybe the BIOS flash also covered the ATTINY.

I found a firmware he posted for someone to test a while back for the ATTINY but when I tried it the only thing that happened was now the red LED is blinking non-stop. still can't enable the LED or clicker in the BIOS.

Eivind: if you read this, could you PLEASE post the firmware for the ATTINY and the RP2040 somewhere? I really appreciate what you do!

On a side note:
I've built 2 tinyLlamas so far and am hoping to have similar success with this project as well!

Any chance you can provide more info to how you got the lower and higher fuse value set.
If you can add your hex file that would be fantastic. I am getting the rapid fast red blink on mine based on compiling the main.c file and with the platformio.ini.

Thank you

Absolutely!

I'm going to assume you have a TL866II programmer since that's what I have but after you select your attiny84a chip go to the config tab and remove the check from CKDIV8=0 and add a check to RSTDISBL=0. you will see in the lower right hand that the values for fuse high and fuse low change to the appropriate values. I'm also attaching the hex file I used but it sounds like you got the same thing I did without setting the high and low fuse values so it's likely you did it right aside from that.
Let me know if that works!

Thank you so much. That's right, I used the TL866II and was able to get it up and running when I put the right fuse settings.
Initially I tried to program it via an Arduino Uno as an ISP programmer using the PlatformIO. Well, at the end I figure that one out too.
Basically, you have to add the correct hfuse and lfuse as well as the COM port (where is says SERIAL_PORT_HERE) for the Arduino. Then when you are done flashing (upload), you should go to the Project tasks under the PlatformIO icon and click on "Set Fuses" (show in the attached picture) as simple upload does not include the fuses.

If you wonder how to get the Arduino Uno to become and ISP programmer, well it is really simple. You go to the Arduino IDE and load (compile and upload) the Arduino ISP example. Then you use the wiring https://content.instructables.com/FO4/WIJ7/JC … adfb9e665aa43a3
For more details, you can use the following Instructable article https://www.instructables.com/Arduino-Uno-to- … -Arduino-V-185/

To make it easy for anything in the future looking into this, add the following to the platformIO.ini file that is provided by Eivind on the Github
PS: I put a pull request to the Tinyllama ITX github with the following addition to the PlatformIO.ini. I also attached the modified ini file here.

board_fuses.hfuse = 0x5F
board_fuses.lfuse = 0xE2
board_fuses.efuse = 0xFF
upload_protocol = stk500v1
; each flag in a new line
upload_flags =
-P$UPLOAD_PORT
-b$UPLOAD_SPEED
; edit these lines
upload_port = SERIAL_PORT_HERE
upload_speed = 19200

Attachments

Reply 482 of 501, by snipe3687

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe a completely ridiculous thought but I was doing some research on custom built graphics cards, and I came across a few 3Dfx recreation cards that use the VSA-100 chip that's seemingly still floating around out in the wild.
Probably not as well stocked as other NOS chips like the CS4237b but I was wondering if maybe there was ever a ITX llama v2, I bet there's room on the board to add the necessary support chips to have one of these cards on the board itself and tied into the PCIe to PCI bridge. I bet you could also use some kind of bios setting to allow for an external AGP graphics card instead if you still wanted to use your own but just thought that would be a neat idea. It looks like there isn't a ton of supporting logic and could probably put some stuff on the bottom of the board if need be.
Granted I'm still very new at this stuff so maybe it's a completely ridiculous idea and who knows how many of those VSA-100 chips ACTUALLY exist in the wild so maybe it's not practical in large quantities, but man would that make a great all-in-one retro PC board!

Reply 483 of 501, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snipe3687 wrote on 2024-05-22, 12:52:

Maybe a completely ridiculous thought but I was doing some research on custom built graphics cards, and I came across a few 3Dfx recreation cards that use the VSA-100 chip that's seemingly still floating around out in the wild.
Probably not as well stocked as other NOS chips like the CS4237b but I was wondering if maybe there was ever a ITX llama v2, I bet there's room on the board to add the necessary support chips to have one of these cards on the board itself and tied into the PCIe to PCI bridge. I bet you could also use some kind of bios setting to allow for an external AGP graphics card instead if you still wanted to use your own but just thought that would be a neat idea. It looks like there isn't a ton of supporting logic and could probably put some stuff on the bottom of the board if need be.
Granted I'm still very new at this stuff so maybe it's a completely ridiculous idea and who knows how many of those VSA-100 chips ACTUALLY exist in the wild so maybe it's not practical in large quantities, but man would that make a great all-in-one retro PC board!

You can get VSA-100 chips off of ebay easily enough, but the whole design around these is fairly complex from what I understand. Search for "Anthony ZX-C64" and "Oscar Barea" to see screenshots of the layouts of these boards. We quickly run into the need for more expensive multilayer boards (more than 4 layers at least), and of course BGA soldering which I don't have the equipment to do myself, and JLC doesn't accept parts shipped to them from outside of China. Then there's the issue of thermals. In other words, not something I'd easily jump on to...

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 484 of 501, by snipe3687

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2024-05-22, 13:30:
snipe3687 wrote on 2024-05-22, 12:52:

You can get VSA-100 chips off of ebay easily enough, but the whole design around these is fairly complex from what I understand. Search for "Anthony ZX-C64" and "Oscar Barea" to see screenshots of the layouts of these boards. We quickly run into the need for more expensive multilayer boards (more than 4 layers at least), and of course BGA soldering which I don't have the equipment to do myself, and JLC doesn't accept parts shipped to them from outside of China. Then there's the issue of thermals. In other words, not something I'd easily jump on to...

Ah well. Might be worthwhile just building my own card to plug in but I bet the concept would work for other chips. I know the SM-750 chips are pretty readily available and have great performance with the SOM based on the video Rasteri did anyway.
Since those are already available on cards in the mini-PCIe form factor the size and space shouldn't be an issue and I doubt they are more than 2- or 4-layers max. that one might be more viable or at least maybe adding a mini-PCIe slot on the bottom of the board in addition to the AGP slot so you could go either way. Again, this is all just a wild idea from someone who knows very little about board design, but I just like the idea of having an onboard video option for use in a small case.
This also assumes there's going to even be a version 2 of the ITX 🤣.

Reply 485 of 501, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snipe3687 wrote on 2024-05-22, 13:48:

Ah well. Might be worthwhile just building my own card to plug in but I bet the concept would work for other chips. I know the SM-750 chips are pretty readily available and have great performance with the SOM based on the video Rasteri did anyway.
Since those are already available on cards in the mini-PCIe form factor the size and space shouldn't be an issue and I doubt they are more than 2- or 4-layers max. that one might be more viable or at least maybe adding a mini-PCIe slot on the bottom of the board in addition to the AGP slot so you could go either way. Again, this is all just a wild idea from someone who knows very little about board design, but I just like the idea of having an onboard video option for use in a small case.

The SM750 is a 256-pin BGA part, so the same challenge goes for this. I could absolutely make an ITX board with a mini-PCIe slot instead of a PCI or AGP slot, but that almost seems to defeat the purpose of going ITX in the first place. My TinyLlama boards (I'm working on v3 right now) share much of the same functionality (and SOM) as the ITX board, but are much smaller.

Also, keep in mind that even if the SM750 is a great video chip for its size and power draw, it's in another league (way slower) than 90s PCI and AGP cards.

I think I'll wait for the Vortex86EX3 chip to be released before I make another go with the ITX board, it's quite expensive and time-consuming to make these... 😉

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 486 of 501, by snipe3687

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2024-05-22, 14:00:
The SM750 is a 256-pin BGA part, so the same challenge goes for this. I could absolutely make an ITX board with a mini-PCIe slot […]
Show full quote

The SM750 is a 256-pin BGA part, so the same challenge goes for this. I could absolutely make an ITX board with a mini-PCIe slot instead of a PCI or AGP slot, but that almost seems to defeat the purpose of going ITX in the first place. My TinyLlama boards (I'm working on v3 right now) share much of the same functionality (and SOM) as the ITX board, but are much smaller.

Also, keep in mind that even if the SM750 is a great video chip for its size and power draw, it's in another league (way slower) than 90s PCI and AGP cards.

I think I'll wait for the Vortex86EX3 chip to be released before I make another go with the ITX board, it's quite expensive and time-consuming to make these... 😉

Gotcha. yeah, was just a curiosity more than anything. back in the 90s I was enamored with ATX boards that had video, sound, LAN, modem, etc. like the PC Chips M599LMR boards and the ITX llama is dangerously close to replicating that for me which is why I built one.

Is the EX3 the one with a dual-core CPU? A while ago I was thinking the SOM that Rasteri used on the WeeCee would probably be cool to try to use on one of these boards but I think modding the BIOS would be much more difficult. I just like that it has an 800MHz CPU and 256MB of RAM but the SOM on the ITX is plenty fast for my purposes.

Reply 487 of 501, by Vridek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The SM750 is a 256-pin BGA part, so the same challenge goes for this. I could absolutely make an ITX board with a mini-PCIe slot […]
Show full quote

We won't see EX3 this year 😒.

Reply 488 of 501, by snipe3687

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vridek wrote on 2024-05-24, 12:36:
Show full quote

Where can you find information about this?

Reply 489 of 501, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you pull this out of your ass, or do you know more than I? 😉
I have it on good authority that DMP will get their chips delivered from TSMC in July, so your statement seems overly pessimistic...

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 490 of 501, by snipe3687

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2024-05-24, 20:10:

I have it on good authority that DMP will get their chips delivered from TSMC in July, so your statement seems overly pessimistic...

Ooohh you have an inside guy? Ask them when they are going to restock on SOM-128-EXs! I need to buy another 5!

Reply 491 of 501, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snipe3687 wrote on 2024-05-24, 20:26:

Ooohh you have an inside guy? Ask them when they are going to restock on SOM-128-EXs! I need to buy another 5!

Have you tried asking them directly? No need for inside information about restocking current parts! 😀

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 492 of 501, by Vridek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A couple of days ago placed an order for 20x VEX-SOM to be delivered in 4 weeks. I assume the SOM-128-EX will have a similar one.

Reply 493 of 501, by Vridek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No need to be rude 😀, you're not the only one waiting for this.

Reply 494 of 501, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vridek wrote on 2024-05-24, 21:42:

I'm sorry, I was trying to be funny, not rude. Apologies!
Have you heard anything that contradicts what I wrote above though?

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 495 of 501, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2024-05-24, 21:55:
Vridek wrote on 2024-05-24, 21:42:

I'm sorry, I was trying to be funny, not rude. Apologies!
Have you heard anything that contradicts what I wrote above though?

Is this going to be a drop-in replacement for the vortex86EX?

Reply 496 of 501, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dothan Burger wrote on 2024-05-25, 00:27:

Is this going to be a drop-in replacement for the vortex86EX?

Nope, the EX3 will have way more IO than the EX, and the SOM will most likely have more pins as well.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 498 of 501, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ahmadexp wrote on 2024-05-30, 03:29:

Sorry if this questions was asked before, can we have the fan RPM adjustable on the BIOS?

You mean on the current ITX-Llama rev E? You can already set the RPM from the BIOS menu. Or did I misunderstand what you meant?

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 499 of 501, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eivind wrote on 2024-05-24, 20:33:

Have you tried asking them directly? No need for inside information about restocking current parts! 😀

I dunno if you reached out to DMP and asked about the SOM-128-EX restocking situation - but I just thought I'd mention that the 86Duino Zero board (that includes the SOM) is still in stock, and only costs $1.80 more than the bare SOM. 😉

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC