VOGONS

Common searches

Epic store

Topic actions

First post, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi i would like to buy some games from epic store but im not sure about safety is epic store better than steam or not? Idont want lose games which i pay..

Reply 2 of 7, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure what you mean by lose but Epic games is a store front just like Steam, Epic doesn't have quite the range Steam does but its neither better or worse than Steam and the only reason to use it is for the exclusives you cant buy on Steam or for the free games.

You should also realise that you dont own any of the games you buy on Steam, Epic, EA or Ubisoft. You are only buying access to the games while that store front exists, again you dont OWN anything you buy on these Store fronts and they can revoke your access at any time for any reason or no reason at all.

If you can buy a game you want from GoG then I would suggest you do that if you actually want to OWN the game.

Reply 4 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-05-27, 07:56:

If you can buy a game you want from GoG then I would suggest you do that if you actually want to OWN the game.

Judging by EULA, you do not own games on GoG too. They are linked to your account which can't be inherited/traded/etc. The only difference is the lack of DRM, so GoG is just not stopping you. Now the law is a different thing, but it differs between countries and boomer run governments are slow on adapting to fully digital ownership.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 7, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2024-05-27, 10:05:
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-05-27, 07:56:

Judging by EULA, you do not own games on GoG too. They are linked to your account which can't be inherited/traded/etc. The only difference is the lack of DRM, so GoG is just not stopping you. Now the law is a different thing, but it differs between countries and boomer run governments are slow on adapting to fully digital ownership.

True to a point, Here where I live if I bought it I own it and even the EULA doesn't void that principal and legally the EULA cant be enforced, with GoG they at least allow me to download the game DRM free to put it where I can actually keep a physical copy of it and Im legally allowed to do that since I do actually own it.

Steam would be the same if not for its DRM forcing online verification, Im certain the law here doesnt let me remove that DRM but I could legally emulate the authentication of it so long as its not using any protected Steam IP to do so. Its a bit of a grey area honestly and I think the US is even worse in regards to that.

Not sure how it is in the US or Europe but I have a feeling the EU also has similar laws preventing EULA or TOS from overriding consumer laws and rights.

Reply 6 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, to my knowledge, both Steam and GOG will terminate an account if they have a reasonable suspicion that the owner is dead. So by their definition, once it happens, all offline backups are considered as pirated software and must be repurchased by surviving family members. And no government has challenged that... yet.

Anyway, considering recent Epic shady practices and the whole Unreal collection delisting, I have zero trust in their crippled store. They'll be the first to throw their customers under the bus, same as EA and Ubisoft.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.