VOGONS

First post, by aapuzzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm getting a Popping/Clicking sound in Command and Conquer and Red Alert Windows 95 Edition with an Awe64 only when videos are playing like the intro or campaign videos. Gameplay sounds fine from what I can tell. If I go into dxdiag and set sound acceleration to none it disables the direct sound driver and sounds fine. Anything above none causes the issue . Red Alert 2 and other games don't have the issue with sound acceleration on from what I can tell so far. Only built computer a few days ago so there could be other games too. I've tried slowing the game down with moslo and it didn't help. with sound but made scrolling a little better Should I just accept it and remember to turn off direct sound for these games? I hate doing that because that's when you forget to turn it back on and spend a night troubleshooting something else instead of playing.

Reply 1 of 2, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What OS and drivers.

I had a similar problem with Win98 running 7th Guest (win 95 version from 1997). It was the AWE64 drivers. I just updated them. Used the newer drivers built in to Windows ME and copied them to replace the Win98se version.
Also if the video files are in the game directory you can check if you get the clicks/pops by playing the videos in a media player, like MPC-HC. If you don't it is the game, not the drivers (maybe the game has problems with memory above >512MB or CPU speed).

Reply 2 of 2, by aapuzzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Riikcakirds wrote on 2024-05-19, 22:54:

What OS and drivers.

I had a similar problem with Win98 running 7th Guest (win 95 version from 1997). It was the AWE64 drivers. I just updated them. Used the newer drivers built in to Windows ME and copied them to replace the Win98se version.
Also if the video files are in the game directory you can check if you get the clicks/pops by playing the videos in a media player, like MPC-HC. If you don't it is the game, not the drivers (maybe the game has problems with memory above >512MB or CPU speed).

I think I'm running the latest one unless told otherwise. It was from Phil's computer and says Win 98 SE comes with built in drivers but there is a small update tool you run on top of it. I think they are Rev16. Not sure if it's speed related but I did try slowing it down with MoSlo to 5%. The game crawled but still popped.