VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had this card for a long time and I am looking to sell it as I never use it. I want to test it to make sure it is working. I recall it has power requirements (-5v rail) and maybe motherboard requirements (????) in order to work properly. I was going to test it on my 486 board which I've definitely paird with the card but I can't get it to boot.

I have a mid/late Slot 1 board with an ISA slot and an ATX power supply that definitely does -5v. Will the card work in this board? I don't want to damage either!

Reply 1 of 3, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does not do somehing bad. But one problem is OPL2 is speed sensitive. 486+ are better with OPL3 based cards.

Last edited by Cyberdyne on 2024-05-19, 10:16. Edited 1 time in total.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 3, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should work, but it also depends of software.
The FM synth (OPL2) is known for heavy distortions on fast CPUs if the software doesn't add proper delays.
Slot 1 CPUs are definitely fast enough for this problem to occur.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.