VOGONS

First post, by aapuzzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My voodoo 2 appears to be causing video distortion over VGA. I understand this was a known issue with them. I'd take a picture but if the image isn't moving it would be very hard to see. The distortion is slow moving faint diagonal ripple going through the image. It happens in Glide and on the 2d desktop. The creative CT6670 doesn't have any radial electrolytic capacitors to replace from what I can tell. Looks like it has tantalum and small SMD capacitors which people don't usually talk about replacing. What would be my best options other than physically swapping cables all the time?

Reply 2 of 2, by aapuzzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ux-3 wrote on 2024-05-19, 18:38:

You can try to enable "spread spectrum" in bios.

That was a good guess.

I am actually starting to think the problem is a poor connection or outside interference which automatically dismissed because I noticed the problem was happening in 2d and even glide games which uses the voodoo 2 daughter board. How can it be the passthrough in that case right? Well I removed the passthrough cabled turned my head and the issue was gone. Plugged the cable back in and the issue was actually still gone which I didn't expect even more? I have removed and reconnected this cable a number of times before this but maybe that's why the issue is inconsistent with me noticing it more at times. I thought moving the computer before may have had an effect. When the issue inevitably returns I will test this again. I actually have a 1 foot vga extender on order for a different purpose which I can also try.

a vga kvm might do the trick so I can remove passthroough but I really don't want to connect another stupid box.

I'm going to do more testing if/when the issue returns. I actually have a 1ft vga extension cable on order for a different use.