VOGONS

First post, by kataetheweirdo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, me, maximumspatium, and a few other people are currently working on a PowerPC Mac emulator meant to accurately emulate the hardware.

As of now, this emulator is in early development. It can play the boot-up jingle, but crashes somewhere before reaching the blinking floppy disk screen due to unimplemented CUDA commands (i.e. getting and setting the 6805 address) and interrupts not being fully implemented.

We're also working on implementing a more efficient interpreter.

This emulator also only supports recognizing Old World ROMs, so iMac, iBook, and other New World ROM Macs are not yet supported.

You can see the progress being made over here.

Reply 2 of 8, by kataetheweirdo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sheepshaver is not bad, but it definitely uses a lot of hacks to work and even directly hijacks Toolbox calls. Basilisk II works in much of the same way. The aim of DingusPPC is to partially avoid this.

Reply 5 of 8, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a fork of qemu called qemu screamer is the best imho. emulates ppc with working audio.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
List of ALL Android vulnerabilities
Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 6 of 8, by kataetheweirdo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A small update here:

We've made some progress for the Power Mac 6100 - being able to play the audio jingle, but crashing while setting up the 68k emulator.

Meanwhile, the Power Mac G3 stops just shy of being able to boot. We've got some work in for an SCSI emulation, but it will be a while before it's implemented.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you for the update. 🙂👍

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 8, by nightbanshee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for doing this. It's great to see new attempts at accurate emulation being made. Also, thanks for making it open source and easily accessible so the curious (like me) see how it's done. 👍

Compaq Portable ii - Lucky find
Compaq Prolinea 486 - Long term restoration
Frankenstein Socket 7 166Mhz Pentium MMX - In progress
Random Pentium III
Dell Latitude D800
Mac Powerbook G3 Pismo