VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi folks, just trying to establish something. I have a retail copy of UT for the PC. In many such cases (e.g. UT2004) this qualifies for a Mac license too (Quake III has Mac and PC partitions on the DVD) but I can't find any information on how to do this if it is the case. Or do I need a Mac retail copy? That seems a little nuts if it's the case. Any advice appreciated.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 1 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There were more times that you needed to buy the game again for another platform than owing it once made it okay to play it on others.
If the Mac version didn't come with the PC version this is probably such a case...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 9, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fair enough. What makes it all the more frustrating is that a friend gave me his copy back in the day (we used to Deathmatch in the office at lunch time) and I can't find it! I bet there's a copy in a charity shop somewhere...

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the Mac version even remotely compatible to the PC and Linux versions?

I remember there was a Mac version of Unreal 1 but it is not compatible with the PC version at all.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 9, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Is the Mac version even remotely compatible to the PC and Linux versions?

I remember there was a Mac version of Unreal 1 but it is not compatible with the PC version at all.

Apparently the 436 patch breaks network gaming with Windows clients. I'm planning a series of articles and videos on Mac retro gaming and one on cross platform gaming would be pretty awesome. I had problems playing a LAN game of UT2004 between Windows and OSX and never bothered to try and fix it.

Reply 5 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that this forum is for the emulation of Mac hardware, not running things on real Mac hardware.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the incompatibility problems arise from big endian vs little endian, but that's stretching it because one could just simply convert via software to maintain binary compatibility...

In the end I imagine Mac users just Darwine the windows version of Unreal and UT99. Linux users can play Unreal and UT99 in Linux, the former via 227 and the latter via Loki Software. The Loki Software UT99 is compatible with PC version UT99.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 8 of 9, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah yes, the endian issue - I forgot about that! On that basis it shouldn't be an issue with a universal app i.e. Intel vs Intel.

Reply 9 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes it shouldn't ba an issue if there were an Universal ppc/intel release. But just judging by release time, UT was released for classic OS at a time when there was no OS X yet and there weren't intel Macs.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper