VOGONS

Duke Nukem 3d

Topic actions

First post, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Is the Mac version of Duke Nukem 3d identical to the PC version? Has anyone tried emulating the Mac version in Basilisk II for the PC?

-Truth5678

Reply 1 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by truth5678 Is the Mac version of Duke Nukem 3d identical to the PC version?

No, not exactly.

Mac version has:
Digitally recorded music (About the same quality as really good PC MIDI)
Switch keyboard layout on the fly.
Record your own taunts
Play against PC's or Macs
Switch screen resolution on-the-fly
Play over any Macintosh network
Play head-to-head against any Mac via the Internet

Has anyone tried emulating the Mac version in Basilisk II for the PC?

Yes, and yes it works. But now the bad news. Chug..chug..chug..

It's "playable", but good luck getting the framerate up beyond the low "teens". The problem is that the (emulated) 68040 is just barely enough power to run Duke and it was obviously optimized for PowerPC chips (and I wouldn't want to wait for PowerPC emulation). Also, there is no 320x200 mode which is the one thing that could easily get the framerate back up.

So the question is just how desperate are you to run the Mac version of Duke3D?

Attachments

• macduke.png
    Filename
    macduke.png
    File size
    70.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by truth_deleted

User metadata

I'm impressed you tried this! I had Basilisk running a couple of years ago and had the slow framerate problem too and thought there would be a chance it improved beyond an usual expectation.
So there is no PPC emulation either! That is too bad, and am a bit surprised no one has done this.
The problem was I don't have my first partition formatted as FAT (any variety) and so can't install win9x. DOS is a no-go cause of PCI sound card has no dos driver.
Basilisk II plays a mean pacman though!

-truth5678

Reply 3 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by truth5678 ...thought there would be a chance it improved beyond an usual expectation.

No, the main bottleneck for speed is the 68040 processor. Until there's emulation of a faster Mac processor, performance will probably continue to be poor.

So there is no PPC emulation either! That is too bad, and am a bit surprised no one has done this.

Why would that be a surprise? PPC processors are substantially more complicated that 680x0 processors. There's not much of a market for their emulation and it would take a lot of hard work.

...I don't have my first partition formatted as FAT (any variety) and so can't install win9x.

You can install Win9x, it's just a much bigger headache than when you install it first. Partition Magic now even includes a "wizard" to help guide you through such an installation (new for version 😎.

DOS is a no-go cause of PCI sound card has no dos driver.

That is entirely dependent on individual soundcards. Some may no have no DOS drivers, but many do.

Reply 4 of 4, by Proud_Persian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well they have released an OFFICIAL OSX Duke Nukem 3D...
U can get it over at www.macgamefiles.com
Its the shareware version, and if u have the retail CD it can transform that too! 😉

Long Live Iran(Persia), Long Live Freedom!
Down with the Islamic Republic