VOGONS

First post, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to find the name of a certain old graphic adventure Mac game. I've played it very briefly in 1990 on Mac IIfx -- that gives pretty good time reference. My recollection is very fuzzy but here it is. The game was essentially an illustrated fantasy(?) text adventure but all actions were entered using menus. I think all actions were one- or two-word commands and menus could get fairly long. The graphics seemed to be tuned for b/w Mac and it was vector/fill style (typical for that period). Text and graphics background was white. The game starts in the middle of the road and I've reached some kind of a cave in a few steps. There was also a big bird that did not let me to proceed. That's pretty much all I remember about it. I am pretty sure that it was a commercial game, could be something well-known and multi-platform but I cannot identify it. Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 15, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anybody?.. All right, let's make it more interesting. The first person to name this game will receive a complete boxed copy of Zork: The Grand Inquisitor (PC CD version), I will pay for shipping anywhere in the world. If the winner does not want this particular game there will be a choice of a few more of a similar value.

Reply 2 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could it by one of Cyan's old pre-Myst games?
The Manhole
Cosmic Osmo
Spelunx and the Caves of Mr. Suedo

See http://www.fourfatchicks.com/Rants/Commentary … Myst/Myst.shtml .

Reply 5 of 15, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting closer but still not there. The Fool's Errand looks more like a puzzle game than adventure, the one I am looking for was definitely of an illustrated interactive fiction kind. For a while I suspected that it was one of Sierra High-Res Adventures but I never heard about any of those for Mac.

Reply 9 of 15, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting even closer. Not Quarterstaff or Theldrow, I would remember if it was RPG. Not Little Pythagoras although the graphics quality was in the same ballpark. I don't think it was World Builder game, it definitely looked like a standalone commercial (at least shareware) game, but I will have to download it and check.

EDIT: Finally got some time to check. Definitely not a World Builder game -- those seem to have distinctive look. The one I am looking for looked very differently, using the entire screen area.

Reply 10 of 15, by decibelx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I came across this post hoping to find an old Macintosh game myself.

In response to your question: Maybe if you could scan a rough sketch of the interface from memory and post it to Imageshack (or the like) we might be able to get a better idea.

Might this have been a *griffin* blocking your path as opposed to a bird? Do you have companions in this game? The name escapes me, but this all sounds familiar.

Reply 11 of 15, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No companions and no griffin... I've attempted to draw something but failed miserably -- I am pretty sure I can recognize if I see it but I cannot draw anything that looks "that way." My drawing skills are quite poor which does not help either.
The strange thing is that I could not even find anything that fits the most basic description: illustrated (first person) text adventure, one- or two-words commands (Scott Adams style) selectable from very long menu, graphics in black and white, released no later than 1989.

Reply 12 of 15, by UnderMine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am going to look back a bit futher :-

http://www.lysator.liu.se/tolkien-games/entry/hobbit.html

It was orignally released on the Specturm about 1982 but was later released on other platforms including the Macintosh as The Hobbit Software Adventure

It appear to have most of the required features.

http://www.oshistory.net - History of operating systems.

Reply 13 of 15, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting... I will try to find Mac screenshots. It definitely has some similarity but most likely it is not the one as I don't remember the very characteristic setting in the beginning of it. OTOH, I did not know that Hobbit was ported to Mac.

Reply 14 of 15, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

not adventure! is it? They do mention on wikipedia that some later versions had graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

There is a version of it on the macintosh garden anyway.

Reply 15 of 15, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would recognize and remember THAT one! I think it was Level 9 that made the illustrated version. Part of Jewels of Darkness, IIRC.
EDIT: Silly me -- the screenshot on Wikipedia says that it is from Jewels of Darkness.