VOGONS

First post, by decibelx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I wonder if any of you guys can help me figure out what the name of this game was. I played this in the mid '80s on the original Apple Macintosh. It looked similar to Ultima ][: Revenge of the Enchantress (played similar too), but this one had enemies like "Pumas". At some early point in the game, you discover an "Amulet" which was either near or hidden under what appeared to be little bones.

There *may* have been safe points or houses, I don't recall seeing "towns" in the classic sense. I can't recall if you have a party or a single avatar.

I remember this game being hard - I couldn't have been older than 8 and never got much farther.

This has been driving me up a wall for years: what was this game called? 'Legacy'? 'Legend'? Argh!!

Reply 1 of 5, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could that be Temple of Apshai by Epyx or Phantasie by SSI? No idea if any of these were ported to Mac though. Mobygames does not list them but then again their database gets less and less complete the further to the past you travel 🙁

Reply 3 of 5, by Daxeria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This has been driving me up a wall for years: what was this game called? 'Legacy'? 'Legend'? Argh!!

There were Mac games in that period called "Legacy" and "Legends of the Lost Realm" which you might also have played, but they had first-person rather than overhead views. Neither of these has turned up online yet, although you can see a screenshot of LotLR in this thread.

However, the Ultima-like game you describe with the amulet hidden under bones is called "Xyphus," and it can be downloaded here. Works great under mini-vMac emulation. 😀

Reply 4 of 5, by decibelx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so bad form for replying to a thread that I haven't visited in six years, but Daxeria knocked it out of the park. It was indeed Xyphus by Penguin Software for the original Apple Macintosh.

Reply 5 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keep in mind that this forum is about the emulation of Macs, not Mac games or actual Mac hardware.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers