VOGONS

First post, by tombraidernut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI - I love the original Tomb Raider game but I've got a problem. I have a new (mid - late 2007) Macbook computer. Using VMware Fusion, I've been able to intstall Windows XP as a virtual OS and play all my old PC version Tombraider games 2-5. However TR I and UB won't install properly even if I follow the instructions using the installer and VDM Sound and DGVoodoo and Glidos from the various sites like Tomb Raider CHronicles and Stella's site.

I also have a Macintosh version of the game but when I try to instal it like a regular Mac game, I get an error message saying something like "Installer no longer supports Classic environment"

I run the latest version of OSX, I believe it's called Leopard and I keep it up to date with the latest downloads.

Does anyone know how I can emulate an older Mac OS to run the Macintosh version of Tomb Raider I and Unfisnished Business? Or what I need to do to get the PC versions of the games running on this Macbook throught VMware Fusion in the Windows XP virtual environment?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

THanks

Reply 1 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Your TR1 and UB are DOS games, right?
Use DOSBox then.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to run the MAC version then you need to use SheepShaver.

If you want to run TR in GLIDOS then you'll need to run it in Vmware under Windows XP (assuming GLIDOS works there)

You can run the DOS version of TR in DOSBox using the OSX version of DOSBox. The only difference between this and GLIDOS is that you will not be able to use the texture packs but it will probably be faster and easier to play the game than using GliDOS in Vmware.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 11, by tombraidernut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi - I downloaded what I believe is the OSX version of DOSbox, but I'm unclear what I need to do from here. THe Instructions are somewhat cryptic, at least to me.

Once I have DOS Box running - then what?

Also, do I use the PC version of the game?

Thanks

Reply 4 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

(scroll down for OSX version)

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reply 5 of 11, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tombraidernut wrote:

Also, do I use the PC version of the game?

Well, if you try to run it in DOSBox, you'll need the PC version of TR1.

If you want to run the Mac version, you'll need SheepShaver to run it (as mentioned before), but to setup SheepShaver is somewhat complicated until it runs (and boots MacOS 9).

Link to SheepShaver:
http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver

Well, this emulator needs some ROM file to be executed, which is not legal to get, if you not own an old Macintosh (8600/9600 series preferably). Also you'll need a retail version of the MacOS 9 install CD which isn't bundled to a specifically Macintosh model.

Klimawandel.

Reply 6 of 11, by tombraidernut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Excellent! I've followed the intrucrons and I've got both TR 1 and UB apparently running. So thank you guys SO much.

I have other question: both of the games currently run in a small window at the center of the screen even if I hit alt-enter to get into full screen mode. All the rest of the stuff disappears, but the game image doesn't actually get any bigger. Is there something I ca do about that to get it to true full screen?

Thanks

Reply 7 of 11, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Set fullscreen to your native Mac screen resolution, like

fullscreen=1440x900

Also play along with scalertype.

P.S.:
Your Mac version of TR1 has two problems:
1) It's created to run with MacOS 9
2) It's created to run with PowerPC-Mac

Klimawandel.

Reply 8 of 11, by tombraidernut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off - Thanks to everyone for all your help so far.

What is scarlet type?

Also, when I type fullscreen=1280X800 into DOSbox it doesn't change anything.

I'm a real neophyte as far as DOS goes.

It I could just get the games to run true fullscreen, I'd be set.

Thanks.

Reply 9 of 11, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tombraidernut wrote:

What is scarlet type?

Somewhere in the config file there is a line "scaler=normal2x"
Just try with other settings to get real fullscreen.

Klimawandel.

Reply 11 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If you had a Windows machine: http://www.tombraiderxtra.com/
I think there is a way to get better graphics in DOSBox, some special versions, but most likely they too are for Windows only.