VOGONS

First post, by lonelysith66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, guys, do you know how to install The Dark Eye on Mac? I'm running Snow Leopard and I really want to play it.

Reply 1 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This one? A 1995 System 7 game? That is a game designed for a computer with very little in common with the current Macintoshes. You'd likely have to set up Basilisk II or Sheepshaver.

You'd do just as well to get the Windows version and use Virtual PC.

Reply 3 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would tell you to Google it, but come to think of it Virtual PC wouldn't be too helpful here. I could say VMware Fusion, but that's not free either. I suppose I should say Boot Camp.

(Please don't ask what the website for Boot Camp is.)

Reply 5 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lonelysith66 wrote:

Well, I have Windows 7

Well, have you tried running the Windows version under Windows 7?

(Running the Mac version under Windows 7 would once again require setting up Basilisk II or Sheepshaver, which is not a trivial operation.)

Reply 7 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lonelysith66 wrote:

I actually have the hybrid CDROM the game. I tried to install it on Windows 7, but it wasn't compatible.

It is extremely probable that it will be less problematic getting the Windows version to run under Windows 7 than it will be to get the Macintosh version running on any computer sold in the last five years.

You're going to have to provide more details than "it wasn't compatible", however - that could mean anything! Did you get a specific error message?

Also, are you running Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit? If you don't know, use Google and I am sure you will find out how to determine this information.

Reply 8 of 13, by lonelysith66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Windows 7 64-bit Home. Whenever I would try to setup, it would say that it's not compatible with the current OS. I even tried Troubleshoot Compatibility, but that didn't work, either.

Reply 9 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's not very specific, but yes, 16-bit Windows applications won't run under Windows 7 64-bit. Your best bet is to install Windows 3.1x in DOSBox and run the game from there. People have successfully done this in the past with The Dark Eye:
The Dark Eye - Win 3.11 in DOSBox - Solved

Reply 13 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Not as far as I know... There is only Vmware Fusion (which works nicely). For free you can have Virtualbox though.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper