VOGONS

Archive or warez?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by smartelik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it considered warez on this board to trade vintage Mac software?

I only mention it because most people are missing the real vintage experience. There were any number of utilities and gadgets everybody loved. These things made the Mac what it was. But I can't find them anywhere. Nobody talks about it. I can't find it to purchase. If the software simply doesn't exist anymore that would really suck.

Like the After Dark control panel w/flying toasters. Back then if you wanted a screen saver you had to add it. After Dark allowed for animation on the desktop too. The 20th anniversary startrek plugin for After Dark had different people from star trek interact with your desktop. Spock might scan your trash while nomad disintegrated documents on your desktop. Quite a bit better than the starfield screen saver that came with windows. In fact nothing like that runs on windows today?

We need to be archiving this stuff or it will be gone. And people will think windows did it first.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Regardless of whether it is permitted or not, from a purely practical standpoint, you might have noticed that there's only ten threads in this forum that have been posted in during the last year. If you really want to trade Mac software, you'll probably not find a lot of interested people here.

There are in fact a good number of communities devoted to vintage Macintoshes and older Macintosh software. Plenty of people "talk about it". If you haven't been able to find them, you haven't been looking very hard.

Anyway, trading in warez and whatnot is generally frowned upon here.

Reply 3 of 6, by smartelik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. Nobody has this old software. There was a time when the Mac could ray trace an image in Photoshop and scale postscript text to laser output, when most PC's were struggling to display more than a few colors and output to a 9-pin dotmatrix printer. I loved using Microsoft Word in 1987 when most PC's were using PFS write. Ever try selecting text without a mouse? Not pretty. But no one will ever know this because the software isn't available. That makes me frown. In any case if anyone needs help with old Mac hardware or software let me know.

Reply 6 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anything which has not been released into the public domain by the most recent copyright holder is warez even if the copyright holder has not done anything with it for a long time or has gone out of business. Just because the most recent copyright holder is unknown or can't be located does not mean the rights terminate. Copyrights last for a very long time, so there's a lot of material that will still be under copyright protection after many of us are long dead. Copyright terms can be longer than 75 years so practically every computer program ever written is still covered.