VOGONS

First post, by Nilfisken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When OS X Lion came a quite a while back now, I immediately rushed to the app store to download and do a clean install of this fantastic feline fruit child.

Had I known, however, the perils this whiskered wildcat would bring me, I'd have thought twice - if not thrice - before throwing myself into the reckless endeavor.

For - alas - because of its stubborn belief in old-fashioned (binary) values and ideas, Rosetta was thrown out - abandoned by the lion's flock - left for the hyenas (and late-movers) to feed on.

Anyway: Without Rosetta, I had to say goodbye to some of my beloved older Mac games, most prominently Command and Conquer Generals. I've been without for quite some time - but now I simply miss it too much 😀

However I know for sure that Generals (after the last update) is a Universal Binary, which means it should be able to run on Intel Macs.

Unfortunately the CnC Generals installer isn't a Universal Binary, which means - that although it should be able to run in the end, I can't be allowed to install it.

Therefore I'd love to know if there's any way to manually put the different game files in the right places in Lion, and if anyone knows where all these "right places" might be?

I have an installed version backed up on an old Time Machine and on my old G5 PowerMac. So would there be any way to grab the files from there and put them in place on my Lion?

(And no, I'm not going to make a Snow Leopard Partition just to run Generals ) 😀

Edit: I realize that this doesn't actually concern emulating games on mac - but I don't know where else to turn.

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't help you with the Mac version of Generals but if you want to play the Windows ver then it would probably work fine in a VM.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you should be able to connect via firewire and target mode... or put the files on the g5 on a media and pop that into the new mac...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 7, by Nilfisken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you should be able to connect via firewire and target mode... or put the files on the g5 on a media and pop that into the new mac...

That's what I'm thinking too - but does anyone know where - apart from the main applications directory - C&C Generals place files?

Reply 4 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The usual places probably, shoudn't take too long to find. /users/yourusername/documents or library/preferences library/application support or somewhere in library (both /library and ~/library in all cases)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 7, by Nilfisken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The usual places probably, shoudn't take too long to find. /users/yourusername/documents or library/preferences library/application support or somewhere in library (both /library and ~/library in all cases)

I'll try to boot up the old dusty powermac and look around your suggested locations.

I'll be back!

Reply 6 of 7, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should be able to explore the installer file and find the game folder inside it. Just drag it to your applications folder and you're ready to go.

Reply 7 of 7, by Nilfisken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well sometimes things are almost too easy!

Here's what I did:
- I copied the (fully patched) C&C Generals (and Zero Hour) folder from the Applications folder on my old PowerMac to the Applications folder on my OS X Lion MBP.
- I copied the two files "com.aspyr.command.conquer.generals.plist" and "com.aspyr.command.conquer.generals.zero.hour.plist" from the "users/'username'/Library/Preferences" folder.
- I put in my Zero Hour disc.
- The game just worked right away.

So that was pretty amazing.

Thanks a lot for all the help in here.

Next up is trying to see if multiplayer will work (I know from experience that trying to play a multiplayer game PowerPC vs. Intel Mac doesn't work at all, but maybe two Intel macs will do the trick).