VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Angel Devoid

An well-done version of the game (I don't know if this is a port...or the original). This game was an absolute dog for me to get running on the PC. In fact, I don't think it's possible to run this on a PC at present unless you have a compatible video card. UniVBE, soundcard bugs, etc...

Fortunately, the Mac version runs quite well. Even better than "7th Guest". Note that this game requires a 68040 as the bare minimum and prefers a PPC. Full-screen video works adequately, although it can "chug" slowly when it displays detailed "panning" video. Fortunately, this doesn't happen all that often and has little-to-no effect on gameplay. Using the "dynamic" version of Basilisk speeds things up a little, but everything becomes a lot less stable.

It does appear to "crash" when you quit the game (generates a system error, followed by a Mac reboot), but this is the only noticeable bug and it does no harm to the OS or it's files.

<Mac Disadvantages>
A little on the slow side for video. Finding the Mac version can be a pain.

<Mac Advantages>
Easy start-up. Does everything it should with no fussing with Soundcard IRQ's etc... Runs smoothly, graphics are excellent. No UniVBE, no game-destroying bugs, no annoying "work-around" files needed. Just insert the CD's, install, and click the icon to play.

Attachments

• angeldevoid.png
    Filename
    angeldevoid.png
    File size
    104.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Tried putting the Mac CD into your PC? You'll notice, it's a hybrid.

But if it's truly a hybrid game (and not just using the PC version as a template), why would it be identified as system-specific?

*grumble*
Now I have to track down the PC version and re-test.

Reply 23 of 28, by GeckoKid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello, where can i get prince of persia 1 and 2 mac version? i suppose they are not on sale anymore.... I have the dos versions years ago and they absolutely don't work on my windows xp....

thanks.

Reply 24 of 28, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GeckoKid wrote:

hello, where can i get prince of persia 1 and 2 mac version? i suppose they are not on sale anymore....

This is no excuse to pirate the game. You can still find copies on eBay. Usually, the DOS/Windows versions also include the Macintosh version...

Still, obligatory link: http://mac.the-underdogs.org
BTW, VOGONS hosts no abandonware. There is no material that is knowingly illegal here. zetafleet.dom will not be held responsible for users' posts. 😉 (BTW, Snover - you posted the link before...)

I have the dos versions years ago and they absolutely don't work on my windows xp....

Use the search.
Prince of Persia II

Or, use DOSBox: http://dosbox.sf.net
It does work: files/dosboxprince2.gif
Prince of Persia 2...
Prince of Persia 2 - can't save

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 25 of 28, by GeckoKid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks 😀

using dosbox, prince of persia 1 runs perfectly, however, POP2 seem to freeze all the time when the prince dies and doesn't respond to my command keys etc, also the sound is weird on this. i need to constantly close dosbox due to the freezing.

on the mac emulation, i encountered this, any help? both pop1 and 2 don't run here. my mac version is 7.5.5

Attachments

• Filename
    help.JPG
    File size
    116.37 KiB
    Downloads
    403 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 28 of 28, by ribbon13

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you own the pc version, whats wrong with getting the mac version for compatibility? And besides, some countries have laws that specifically allow for you to do such things. 😜 Not everyone lives in the US. Yet.