VOGONS

Which games are better on a Macintosh?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 261, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lameduke only has them because Ken loves experiementing. The game designers definitely didn't support them (the hud isn't made for it and the water reflection was made only for chained 320x200 VGA and also the SVGA modes still weren't double-buffered or VESA2.)

filipetolhuizen wrote:

Some games like Hi-Octane took 2 or 3 PC generations to run fast enough in SVGA mode,

Not really. 2 generations after Hi-Octane's 1995 release would be way too fast in SVGA. Bullfrog didn't throttle then and their engine programmers were second to Abrash in x86 optimizing

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 21 of 261, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hioctane ran acceptable in SVGA on a PII-300Mhz and slightly fast on a PII-450Mhz. It took several Pentiums before reaching the ideal speed. I guess where I said generations I really meant eras.

Reply 24 of 261, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

PC-98 has Ultima 1,2,3,4,5 in high res
I wonder if this thing has more high res stuff than mac 😀

Interesting. If you come accross more titles, let us know. If they're too many, let's create a dedicated topic.

Reply 29 of 261, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

what's the differentce between indy3 fmtowns and indy3 dosvga?

Digitized SFX, CD audio soundtrack extracted from the originial movie and runs in 320x240 instead of 320x200, as well as a few corrected EGA graphics left behind in dosvga.

Reply 32 of 261, by blackmasked

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another World
Mac version can run in 320x200, 480x300, 512x384 and 640x400. All other releases run in 320x200.

Lemmings
Only Macintosh and Windows 95 versions of Lemmings run in SVGA as far as I can tell.

Prince of Persia 1 / 2
SVGA graphics on Macs, and SNES if I am not mistaken, VGA everywhere else.

Flashback
Played it on Mac today and the resolution looks higher than DOS/Amiga version.

Abuse
Runs in SVGA with 'graphics partially redone to work better in the 640x480 resolution'.

DOS build: Gigabyte GA-586T2, P200 MMX, 64MB RAM, Tseng ET6000 4MB, Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, Roland SC-55mkII, Yamaha MU-80
98SE build: MSI MS-6163 Pro, PIII 650MHz, 256MB RAM, Voodoo3 3000, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum, Yamaha SW1000XG

Reply 33 of 261, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blackmasked wrote:

Another World
Mac version can run in 320x200, 480x300, 512x384 and 640x400. All other releases run in 320x200.

Windows remakes have higher res.

blackmasked wrote:

Prince of Persia 1 / 2

SNES is actually lower res, but somewhat different gfx and a few more/different levels and kind of more arcade gameplay.

blackmasked wrote:

Flashback

SEGA CD ver is fully voiced
Flashback REminiscence allows combining best features of different versions.
http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/

Reply 34 of 261, by blackmasked

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:
Windows remakes have higher res. […]
Show full quote
blackmasked wrote:

Another World

Windows remakes have higher res.

blackmasked wrote:

Prince of Persia 1 / 2

SNES is actually lower res, but somewhat different gfx and a few more/different levels and kind of more arcade gameplay.

blackmasked wrote:

Flashback

SEGA CD ver is fully voiced
Flashback REminiscence allows combining best features of different versions.
http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/

I've had the impression that we were discussing old releases not modern remakes.

If that what we are doing you may as well remove Prince of Persia, Doom and Hexen from your original post due to the existence of PoP Classic and Doomsday Engine. ;]

Also Mac version of Blackthorne runs in SVGA.

DOS build: Gigabyte GA-586T2, P200 MMX, 64MB RAM, Tseng ET6000 4MB, Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, Roland SC-55mkII, Yamaha MU-80
98SE build: MSI MS-6163 Pro, PIII 650MHz, 256MB RAM, Voodoo3 3000, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum, Yamaha SW1000XG

Reply 35 of 261, by blackmasked

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dJOS wrote:

Lemmings is best on the Amiga, simply no contest imo!

It helps that Lemmings was developed on the Amiga first and ported to other platforms.

It may have the best music (IMHO), but not everyone will agree with that. Some folks prefer MT-32 or even OPL version.

In terms of graphics it certainly isn't the best as both Mac and Windows 95 versions run in SVGA.

Reply 36 of 261, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blackmasked wrote:

I've had the impression that we were discussing old releases not modern remakes.

everything, but Another World has also a 3DO ver. that has way better completely redrawn backgrounds 😀

blackmasked wrote:

If that what we are doing you may as well remove Prince of Persia, Doom and Hexen from your original post due to the existence of PoP Classic and Doomsday Engine. ;]

PoP Classic is different, definitely not better, gfx looks better, gameplay more arcade.
I was tempted to remove wolf, doom, hexen and dark forces, just don't have enough info. I think Dark Forces remake was not completely finished. And don't care much about three other games, they are too popular to write about them in this thread 😉

blackmasked wrote:

Also Mac version of Blackthorne runs in SVGA.

SEGA 32x ver. has better completely different backgrounds and one completely new scenery (snowy) with very nicely designed new levels.

Last edited by robertmo on 2018-05-15, 18:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 37 of 261, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm going to be snarky as I have no love for Macintosh.

The hardest game (better some might say) compared to a PC, is figuring out how to run a file system check on a MAC in order to fix a corrupted file system.

Yeah... requires dropping to the CLI to run some commands on a platform that "just works" is laughable.

Way back in the day the grade school I went to had a MAC. We mainly used it for playing Oregon Trail. That sucker would lock up all the time, from the moment it was new.

Then, in college I was forced to use an iMAC for my art classes. Those suckers were the definition of unreliable. Wanna save your files to a Zip disk? Ok, well, we'll just wipe the disk instead.
Or, maybe we will say we saved your files, but the next time you try to use the disk, it will be blank or unformatted yet again.
Or, maybe I'll just refuse to work today at all... or pretend I am going to work and then lock-up while you are working on a project.

The powermacs for the art majors had just as many issues and about 50% of them were always broken.

The game of playing "will it work or not" is probably the main game I have played on MACs over the years.

Flamesuit on 🤣

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 39 of 261, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

You know you can play all above games on platform of your choice in emulator. Nobody forces you to use real mac here 😉

But does the emulator emulate the unreliability of a real mac? If not, then it isn't a good emulator. 😈

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK