Game Pads

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Ironically, I've heard that the Dreamcast controller has one of the best dpads out there.

Almost everything else about it is uncomfortable for me to use, though. I never rated the Dreamcast controller very highly overall compared to a Dual Shock or XBox controller. Even the weird looking Gamecube and N64 controllers were more enjoyable for me to use in some respects.

Reply 21 of 31, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Ironically, I've heard that the Dreamcast controller has one of the best dpads out there.

Almost everything else about it is uncomfortable for me to use, though. I never rated the Dreamcast controller very highly overall compared to a Dual Shock or XBox controller. Even the weird looking Gamecube and N64 controllers were more enjoyable for me to use in some respects.

Don't knock the N64's controller, or especially the Gamecube's controller. The n64 has probably the most accurate analog stick I've ever used on a console controller, making it awesome for FPS games. And as for the Gamecube, it's insanely comfortable, and it has a great, ergonomic button layout. Not to mention, the triggers on it are some of the best I've ever used. The only things that would make the Gamecube controller better would be clickable analog sticks, and an extra trigger on the left side.

Reply 22 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To answer the OP,

What you need is this :

$%28KGrHqJ,!hIFBc3rpYRzBQgEQseJGw~~60_3.JPG

Or if you prefer, you can get the USB adapter to plug in the original SNES controller, like what I have :

dsc00578u.jpg

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 23 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
To answer the OP, […]
Show full quote

To answer the OP,

What you need is this :

$%28KGrHqJ,!hIFBc3rpYRzBQgEQseJGw~~60_3.JPG

Or if you prefer, you can get the USB adapter to plug in the original SNES controller, like what I have :

dsc00578u.jpg

Hey, you do know that the North American SNES and Japanese Super Famicom controllers are a little bit different right? I can never get my Super Famicom ones to work with right with my North American SNES even though they work fine with the Japanese console. I think the buttons are mapped differently.

Reply 24 of 31, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A very brief / rough review of SNES USB controllers for Emulators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9n5NG_Knn8

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 31, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I loved it, but not everyone is comfortable with the batarang shape.

I like my wireless 360, but the Dpad is mushy.

I used to use a Logitech Dual Action, which is great for emulators, but is a bear to get working with newer games. rumblepad2.blogspot.com has methods to get most newer games working with it, usually work arounds.

Reply 26 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The SNES/SFC "dogbone" controller is a classic. Even Gravis sort of copied it, though they did make theirs asymmetrical.

I like my 3dfx Hammerhead and have a Microsoft Sidewinder on the way.

Reply 27 of 31, by Holering

User metadata

There's the pixel art controller from hyperkin (M06096-xx) which I like, but the buttons are a bit mushy and might seem unresponsive to some because of that; they're like a Lego set on edges and come in different colors (same buttons as SNES but looks neat).

I think the 360 controller is too heavy and bulky, but of you need a controller for current-modern games it's the one get. Actually, the hori pad is the best (360 pad with six face buttons for fighting games); comes in black or white I think.

Reply 28 of 31, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i know of guy who not only convert legit super famicom and snes controller to USB he rebuilds them and test them him self. and i don't mean he cleans them, i mean this guy must using a feeler gauge and measuring down to the thousands even my picky friend was jaw dropped when got this thing in, hell we though it was fake re pop until we found a few wear marks on the nintendo stamp on the back. man the buttons were TIGHT.

Sure i'm talking it up a little but look at the guy's feedback, http://www.ebay.com/usr/00hondasilverex?_trks … 788.m1543.l2754 read the comments they left. even if it isn't the most perfect controller my friend REALLY liked it and, the controller weren't sloppy, it wasn't to faded (retro bright or bleached or something) and it look professionally done, nice and neat.

sure you can use and original but, might consider the fact this guy goes through the whole controller and puts in the best condition parts and play test them him self.... or he used to. you might have to send him a message and ask if he will make you one.

Reply 30 of 31, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

nes30-1.jpg

I recently picked up one of these. Works either in usb or bluetooth mode. I'm not having the best luck with it in Linux, in BT mode, it always wants to work as a keyboard, and I'd rather it work as a joystick. But, in Windows, I think it might work better.

As for the feel, it does feel good, much like the old NES it is based on, just with the SNES button layout.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 31 of 31, by ColdBrain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for bump. I've been considering USB adapters for my vintage controllers, since some classic systems can't be accurately played with the Xbox 360 controller. The Genesis and N64 are good examples since they have six button layouts and the N64 has the Z-trigger in the back. If you want the full experience you must play with the original controllers or something that resembles them.