VOGONS

Heart Of Darkness PC vs PS

Topic actions

First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Game has exactly the same resolution as PC version (256x192) (250x192 on water/lava screens) but has more colours for backgrounds.

ePSXe 2.0.5
doesn't need any plugins
doesn't need any dlls

cpu overclocking x1

core gpu:
internal resolution - 1: normal resolution
remove screen filtering
remove top/bottom bars
remove overscan

Last edited by robertmo on 2019-07-09, 17:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 25, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually PSX version doesn't have hot air effects on lava levels so they are also 256x192

file.php?mode=view&id=44006
file.php?mode=view&id=44005

Attachments

• hodpc.png
    Filename
    hodpc.png
    File size
    43.64 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Heart Of Darkness PC
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • hodepsxe.png
    Filename
    hodepsxe.png
    File size
    111.93 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Heart Of Darkness ePSXe
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 25, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice observational skills, these all do tend to showcase the dithered PC palette. However, it seems like the PC version features somewhat higher quality backgrounds? For example, the destroyed hut beneath Andy seems far more compressed in the PS1 version. Could this just be ePSXe messing with the output?

Reply 10 of 25, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
holaplaneta wrote on 2020-04-28, 01:02:

Thanks for this comparison. So you would say that the colors and certainly having a good gamepad make the PSX the best version?

At this point it is probably worth considering HODE, the engine rewrite.
http://cyxdown.free.fr/hode/

Reply 11 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the PS1 version sure has more colors, but some parts of the picture look a bit like a compressed jpeg. This is my personal opinion, but not everything looks better imo. It depends what I look at. The water is better, but the picture overall looks "compressed" to me.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 13 of 25, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks to the open source nature of the HODE engine, this game has been fan ported to the original XBox*. You can read about it here:

https://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=6935

source.gif

* Your XBox has to be modded (i.e. able to run unofficial software, using either a hard mod or a soft mod) to run this, of course.

Reply 14 of 25, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As the user above already mentioned the PS1 version look like it has compression artifacts. It is not a problem with the screenshot, I just checked.

What a shame that this game runs on such small resolution on PC. Captain Claw released in 1997 and ran at 640x480.
All those 3D models and scenes just rotting somewhere on old hard disk and probably lost forever. They could have used it for a remaster. Only 2D sprites would have to be remade.

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 15 of 25, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
antrad wrote on 2021-04-10, 21:57:

As the user above already mentioned the PS1 version look like it has compression artifacts. It is not a problem with the screenshot, I just checked.

What a shame that this game runs on such small resolution on PC. Captain Claw released in 1997 and ran at 640x480.
All those 3D models and scenes just rotting somewhere on old hard disk and probably lost forever. They could have used it for a remaster. Only 2D sprites would have to be remade.

A 640x480 version was planned but has been canned probably because of the delay.

Reply 18 of 25, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote on 2021-04-11, 19:20:
640x480 would require a dvd game was released in 1998 ps2 (with a dvd) was released in 2000 standalone dvd price was the same as […]
Show full quote

640x480 would require a dvd
game was released in 1998
ps2 (with a dvd) was released in 2000
standalone dvd price was the same as ps2 😉

640x480 version was only for pc not PS. Dvd is not neceesary for a 640x480 game.

Reply 19 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, yes, The Heart of Darkness.. I rember that one!

(That awesome game which's development took so long, that people were afraid it wouldn't make it to release.)

About 20 years ago, there was a little drama because of it, if memory serves.

From what I remember, in Germany, people were upset because a major cornflakes company
did include this game and other titles on little CD-ROMs as gimmicks (gifts).

You know, these kind of gimmicks/extras that are hidden surprises in the box..

Well, the issue was not the gift as such,
in some EU countries they're fine still (but are forbidden in the US?),
but the fact that these were "demo" versions only (trial?)..

The spokesman of the company then felt forced to make a statement.
I *think* it did go like this:
"You didn't seriously expect to get a full version for this price, didn't you?"
😂

Edit: Typos fixed.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//