VOGONS

First post, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi
me again
switched from FCE Ultra to nesterj so I could play fullscreen (Vista definitely has kinks to be worked out) and I must have done something weird with my battery-backed save files; the ones I had for StarTropics and StarTropics II (great games, BTW) are fine but my Zelda save is gone
tried retrieving from the Recycle Bin and all that and all I get is a save file with nothing (no progress, no names)
I tried looking for save files (I'm lazy and don't want to play all that again 😅) but astoundingly Google has failed me 😳; looking for first 2 swords, first 3 dungeons; good repository anyone? thnx

Last edited by general_vagueness on 2007-10-31, 16:31. Edited 1 time in total.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 1 of 9, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

anything not too far along (this is the first time I've palyed the original [wasn't alive when it was released!])
like I said, repository (place with a bunch of 'em), if that's doable
once upon a time I had a thing for altering text in video game files (I want to say XVI but I don't think that's it); if you know what I'm talking about or know something better, please tell me

if this really just doesn't belong here & I'm acting like a total n00b, please tell me and I'll take it down

How to become a hacker

Reply 2 of 9, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it's something with the switching of emulators. I changed again to nnNesterj and now my save file (for StarTropics II) is gone or has been reset somehow (a function I don't think is built into any emulator). I "restored" (from the Recycle Bin) old copies of the save files for ST and ST II and there was no save info in either of them (but I may have done that when I had the problem with Zelda). Fortunately I wasn't more than a few seconds into the game (StarTropics is fine). Yes, I realize that I forgot the first three rules of computers, but before you post back, I'm going to make backups of all of my transient video game files right after I post this.
I'd rather not have a conversation with myself 🙁&:lonely:.

How to become a hacker

Reply 4 of 9, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know, I was talking about the battery-backed (virtual) save file; FCE Ultra and clones of Nester use .sav.

I saw a file somewhere that was what I wanted but I don't remember the Google or the depth that got me there.

I'm just going to re-play it and diligently back up and eventually make my own repository and put it online.

My focus now is the old Doom games; I direct you to Doom Issues (well, issue).

some1 plz tell me how to get rid/this effect (like justify in Word); annoys me
oh now it's not there
WTF is going on with spacing here? 😕
the link was wrong and I fixed it and now the effect is gone (maybe); 😕

How to become a hacker

Reply 5 of 9, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Remember what I said about FCE Ultra? I found a way to have it show fullscreen, and nesterj and unofficial nester don't have a turbo option, and nnnesterj uses A-E for Famicom disk functions, and I like to use D and F, and I hope I didn't lose anybody with all those "and"s. So I'm going with FCE Ultra, but it doesn't have an "associate with" button like nester clones. I used the "Open with..." box to change it but it won't work, and it won't let me change it via the registry ("error writing to key" or something), which I used a lot in Win9x.
In short, help, please. 🙁
note: the open->command thing already says "C:\Program Files\FCE Ultra\fceu.exe" "%1"
other note: you might think this is a Vista question and shouldn't be here, but technically this is about me conveniently running old games on a new system
forgot something: I used Custom Video 640x480@8 bits per pixel (bpp); I wanted to put that in in case someone stumbles across this with the same problem (full screen)

How to become a hacker

Reply 6 of 9, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just switched (yes, again) to virtuanes (someone tell me the proper capitalization, please), and it's actually what it's cracked up to be, except for one thing: it kind of doesn't show everything. I was making sure it was what I wanted and I thought I'd use Zelda and it didn't know about my save file so I tried to register my name and it wouldn't let me. I was pressing the right keys (D and F, of course, and I set it that way) and the cursor advanced but nothing appeared and I tried the register option (I thought maybe it was putting in spaces) and it would only let me pick register or delete.
Please help.

How to become a hacker

Reply 7 of 9, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try NEStopia - good feature set, joystick support, runs in fullscreen at whatever screen res you want it to. Keyboard binding interface is fairly good too.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 8 of 9, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks; if anyone knows why that happened, please...
In the mean time I'll try NEStopia... 😐

How to become a hacker

Reply 9 of 9, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried NEStopia and I think I've finally found the emulator I know I can stick with. I'll edit this later to make my point. thnx 😀

and here we go:
I don't know if anyone here has ever played StarTropics, but just looking at them, which one looks more like it's from a Nintendo hooked up to a TV? I'm going with #2, which is from NEStopia (with several video options set).
st1.jpg
st2.jpg
Are these too big?

Attachments

• Filename
    st1.jpg
    File size
    187.25 KiB
    Downloads
    545 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    st2.jpg
    File size
    168.42 KiB
    Downloads
    534 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

How to become a hacker