VOGONS

First post, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure that this is the correct place to post this question, but the Apple IIGS isn't an old Mac, and none of the other categories seemed to apply. Someone may move this topic if another location is better.

At any rate, my family has an Apple IIGs that we got when I was in kindergarten or so. We used to play the first four King's Quest games on it, plus some other games.

Recently, I just got my first Mac, which brought back memories of the IIGS, so I started playing through the King's Quest games again. I played them on a couple of Windows collections that I had -- one from 1997 and one from 2003. After I finished replaying through KQ 1, I decided to go on the Internet and searched for something -- my score was 159 and the highest listed in the game was 158, which confused me.

I ended up coming across someone's youtube video of music found only in the IIGS version of the games. I watched the files, and I'd forgotten the superior music and sound effects from the IIGS games. (It had been over 10 years since I'd played them on the IIGS). This got me interested in trying to play the games on an Apple IIGS emulator.

After doing a little searching, I found a site that let you play the GS versions in a browser. I thought that was neat, so I continued to search for how I could play it in an actual emulator, outside of the browser site. I finally came across the Sweet16 emulator as well as Kegs. I downloaded both of them. Then, I searched for how I could connect the Apple IIGS to the Mac so that I could copy all of my disks to my Mac to play in emulators.

I found the ADTPro site and was able to do just that. I copied all of the disks from the IIGS to the Mac. Fine. Some of the disks had errors on them, but they all copied.

I went to go play the disk images in the emulators. I had problems with some of the disk images being copy protected. I had problems with all the 5.25 disks that we had for that computer, plus some of the Sierra disks.

The ones I cared the most about were the King's Quest disks. Disk 1 of King's Quest 2 tells me that I need the original disk, even though the disk that the image was made from was the original disk.

I played the original disk in the IIGS, and at the same spot that I got the message telling me to put in the original disk, I got a message that said something else. It told me that if I didn't want to play on the original disk, I could insert a backup copy.

This is definitely some sort of copy protection issue. It didn't think that the disk image that I'd made was the original, so it wouldn't let me get passed that screen. On the real disk, it knows it's the original, so that message pops up to let me know I can play a backup copy or I can play on the original.

On the disk image, it wants me to insert the real disk, but I can't do that on the emulator.

I was able to find copies of KQ 2 on Apple IIGS sites. However, there must be something left over of the copy protection on them. My own disk images causes Sweet16 to freeze, as do all the copies of it that I found online.

However, I could get the images that I downloaded from IIGS sites to play in Kegs. It was just that when I mounted them, a message came up saying that they were 0 instead of the expected size. I could even get my image to load in Kegs -- however, like I said, that message came up that I can't get passed. The images I downloaded from the Internet play fine in Kegs, without that message popping up.

I also had problems with the disk images for King's Quest 1. Looking at the original box cover of the game, it was not the IIGs version. Rather, it was the IIe version. It came on 5.25 disks. There must be a copy protection on that disk as well because it won't play in Kegs.

I looked online, and I can't seem to find the Apple IIe disk image anywhere.

Does anyone know how to get passed the copy protections on Apple IIGS or Apple II 5.25 disks from Sierra?[/i]

Reply 1 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If a real IIGS is telling you to put the original disc in when it's trying to read the original disk then you probably have bad sectors on the disk that can no longer be read.

We also don't promote the use of cracked copies of games here so you're on your own to find that information.

Reply 2 of 6, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sliderider wrote:

If a real IIGS is telling you to put the original disc in when it's trying to read the original disk then you probably have bad sectors on the disk that can no longer be read.

We also don't promote the use of cracked copies of games here so you're on your own to find that information.

No, sorry -- what I said wasn't clear then.

The real Apple IIGS reads the disk fine -- it just has a box that pops up at the beginning that says "if you want to play on a back up disk, insert it now." And there are two buttons that you can decide to click -- one of them is "okay" and the other, I think was "quit." If you press okay, the game starts up. At first I thought that this whole box thing was an error on the disk (like I said, it had been over ten years since I had last touched it.), so I pressed quit. After getting the error in the emulator, I pressed okay, and it went right to the game on the real Apple IIGS.

What I meant is that this is a copy protection feature on the real disk.

When I copied the disk and played it in Kegs, at the spot where the box came up on the original disk, a different box came up. That box asked me to put in the original disk. This only happened in the emulator, not on the real Apple IIGS.

So there is something in the disk that recognizes the Sierra actual disk, but decided that the disk image in the emulator wasn't the original disk. Does that make sense?

One message comes up if it recognizes it as the original disk, and a different message comes up if it recognizes it as a copy. Therefore, it has to be a copy protection issue when I try playing it in the emulator.

It allows me to play the original disk in the Apple IIGS, but it won't let me play the copy of that disk image in the emulator.

All right...thank you anyway. It was worth a try. I honestly don't see the problem with using copies of my original disks in emulators, since I don't know of any Apple IIGS disk images that I can buy for use in an emulator, nor do I know of any AppleIIe disk images that I can buy for use in an emulator. If someone knows of where I can buy those at, let me know. If I have to buy disk images, then fine. But again, I don't know where to find them.

The only copies that I know of that are still for sale are the Dos versions of the games, which I already bought twice -- one was the 1997 collection and one was the 2006 collection.

I prefer the GS versions of 1-4 because they have better sound and music than the Dos versions. I don't know of any King's Quest collection that uses the Apple IIGS versions or the Apple IIe version of King's Quest 1.

Reply 3 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great post!

Takes me back to last year when I played all the Space Quest games (apart from the last one) and also Kings Quest 1 and 2.

I found the exact same website (apple games in a browser) and used the offline version of the same emulator. As you say, the music is superior.

Still I ended up playing all the games in DOSBox (the old ones in Tandy Mode for a little bit better sound compared to PC mode) instead. Not sure why, but I blieve I wasn't totally happy with the emulator, the save function or aspect ratio or something like that.

The Amiga versions are also very good!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 6, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Great post! […]
Show full quote

Great post!

Takes me back to last year when I played all the Space Quest games (apart from the last one) and also Kings Quest 1 and 2.

I found the exact same website (apple games in a browser) and used the offline version of the same emulator. As you say, the music is superior.

Still I ended up playing all the games in DOSBox (the old ones in Tandy Mode for a little bit better sound compared to PC mode) instead. Not sure why, but I blieve I wasn't totally happy with the emulator, the save function or aspect ratio or something like that.

The Amiga versions are also very good!

I just checked back with that browser site and looked at their Apple II (not the GS version) of King's Quest 1. I didn't think that one was the same as the one that I had....but I just got back from actually playing it on the real GS -- just a few minutes to check to see if it was the same one.

Sigh.....it is the same one. Not very rewarding -- there seems to be no sound in the KQ 1 Apple IIe version, and there is no score, and I can't use the mouse with it.

I have no idea why my dad bought us that version of the game instead of the GS version. Maybe they were sold out of it or something.

Anyway, problem solved with finding disk images for the Apple IIe version. I'm not too disappointed that the disks were copy protected. I did think it was neat how the colors would fill in on the screen.

All our other games were the GS copies, which is good 😀

I hadn't remembered that there was no sound on the IIe, and that I couldn't see the score, and that there were no file pull down menus in the game.

Thank you kindly for your compliments 😀

I couldn't figure out how to get their off-line emulator to work. It loads, but it comes up with this weird space music thingy instead of playing the games. That's why I used Kegs and Sweet16.

I never played the Amiga versions.

Reply 5 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Arwen4CJ wrote:

I couldn't figure out how to get their off-line emulator to work. It loads, but it comes up with this weird space music thingy instead of playing the games. That's why I used Kegs and Sweet16.

The "space music thing" is a demo disk that comes with this emulator.

I believe you can access all the options by right clicking or something like that. Then you insert all the floppy disks (I think 2 disks for KQ1) and restart the emulator.

I should check out Sweet16, but in the end I found the gaming experience through DOSBox heaps better. I also grew up with the DOS versions of these games, so the "worse" music feels more natureal to my ears.

That emulator didn't have the option to correct the aspect ratio (DOSBox has). I think that was the main reason why i didn't play it through the MAC emulator. Stretched people in games really stand out to me 😁

Reply 6 of 6, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
The "space music thing" is a demo disk that comes with this emulator. […]
Show full quote
Arwen4CJ wrote:

The "space music thing" is a demo disk that comes with this emulator.

I believe you can access all the options by right clicking or something like that. Then you insert all the floppy disks (I think 2 disks for KQ1) and restart the emulator.

I should check out Sweet16, but in the end I found the gaming experience through DOSBox heaps better. I also grew up with the DOS versions of these games, so the "worse" music feels more natureal to my ears.

That emulator didn't have the option to correct the aspect ratio (DOSBox has). I think that was the main reason why i didn't play it through the MAC emulator. Stretched people in games really stand out to me 😁

Sweet16 is only for Macs, and I had some problems with it. I couldn't get it to load the 5.25 disk images. Also, I had problems with all the disk images of King's Quest 2, disk 1 causing it to freeze.

Kegs seems to work better, and there is a Windows version of it as well. You have to find a Rom for the emulator, and you can use the System 6 disks. I have the original System 6 images that came with my family's GS, but you can get them from free from the Apple site as well.

Hmm...I'll try the GS emulator just to see if I can get it to run the disks images. Yeah, I saw that it was a demo, but I just couldn't figure out how to get the silly thing to play my disk images instead of the demo.

I suppose that we get attached to what we grew up with. The GS sounds and music just sounds right to me, even though I hadn't heard it in over ten years. When I heard it again, I remembered.