VOGONS

Not working - no$msx 386 protected optimized

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

msx_sony_hb_10p.jpg

Hi! can someone with a 386DX do a favor to me?

I want to emulate MSX in my 386, and the no$msx in real mode works a little slower but perfect, but with the protected version (the faster), when i load a DSK (disk) the PC reboot

I try with different memory managers, like emm386, QEMM, 386MAX, same problem

Can someone try the 386 protected version for me?

no$msx 386 protected
http://nocash.emubase.de/no$msx3p.zip

And here a nice MSX game to test, just put the dsk in the dsk folder, and load
http://www.caetano.eng.br/snatcher/

Thanks! im getting crazy about this, and don´t find any solution beside use the slower realmode version ;(

THANKS

Reply 2 of 4, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why, exactly?

Because MSX has so many great games

Have you tried not using any memory manager at all?

Yes, this is the first i tried. I try every configuration i know

Sadly the emulator ask for more than 600kb of conventional memory, or having EMS. I don´t have any idea how to get this amount, without himem.sys

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
theelf wrote:

Because MSX has so many great games

Fine, but you can probably get a much more accurate emulator (there are tons of them out there) to run with much less effort on any modern machine. Heck, even if you really wanted to use this particular emulator, you could run it under DOSBox on a modern machine. So why use a 386 DX?

Yes, this is the first i tried. I try every configuration i know

Sadly the emulator ask for more than 600kb of conventional memory, or having EMS. I don´t have any idea how to get this amount, without himem.sys

Does that mean you've tried himem.sys without also using "emm386, QEMM, 386MAX" and suchlike?

You might as well also post your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, so we can see if there's some reason you can't free up more than 600 kb of memory. (If you're loading CD-ROM drivers, you obviously won't need them to emulate an MSX, for example.)

Reply 4 of 4, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fine, but you can probably get a much more accurate emulator (there are tons of them out there) to run with much less effort on any modern machine. Heck, even if you really wanted to use this particular emulator, you could run it under DOSBox on a modern machine. So why use a 386 DX?

Because emulate a MSX/whatever in a modern PC don´t have any funny.

And also, the computer i have in my bedroom is this 386, i don´t need more for now

You might as well also post your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, so we can see if there's some reason you can't free up more than 600 kb of memory. (If you're loading CD-ROM drivers, you obviously won't need them to emulate an MSX, for example.)

mm.. difficult, because i try too many different ones, but the one that give me most free convenctional ram is:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=100
BUFFERS=20
LASTDRIVE=E

With this i get: 615kb, whitout himem.sys the most is 576kb. Using emm386 up to 630kb

No CDrom driver, nothing weird, etc

I try the same emulator in a 486SX33mhz, with exactly same hard disk & configuration and works perfect...

Thats why i ask someone with a 386 to try