VOGONS

NEOGEO X

Topic actions

First post, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like many of you on this site, I collect retro game consoles in addition to retro PC hardware.

I've been wanting a NEOGEO AES system for a while, but SHEESH.. talk about outrageous pricing!!

1groupshot2-672x360.jpg

For $199 SNK is releasing a portable unit that plugs into a base station to connect to ur TV. It even has a controller that's supposed to be 100% accurate to the original. It has 20 built-in games and there's a FREE cart-based game available with preorder!

Just wondering how many of you are thinking about getting this? I'm seriously contemplating it, along with the $99 OUYA Android console, if it comes out.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 2 of 14, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

It's all running in emulation. Hardly worth getting excited about.

Are you sure it's emulated?? I couldn't find where it said one way or the other. If that IS the case, yea I'm not so excited. 🙁

Reply 3 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of course it is emulated. Putting something resembling the original hardware in there just wouldn't be cost effective. (I don't think anything even vaguely mainstream uses a genuine Motorola 68k CPU anymore.)

Reply 4 of 14, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Of course it is emulated. Putting something resembling the original hardware in there just wouldn't be cost effective. (I don't think anything even vaguely mainstream uses a genuine Motorola 68k CPU anymore.)

I just figured 10-20 yrs later it would be cheaper to reproduce. Sometimes emulation doesn't get used.. like the Atari Flashback 2 (not that it's remotely similar to SNK hardware). Oh well, guess it was just wishful thinking on my part.

Reply 6 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
simbin wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

I just figured 10-20 yrs later it would be cheaper to reproduce. Sometimes emulation doesn't get used.. like the Atari Flashback 2 (not that it's remotely similar to SNK hardware).

To be fair, I guess they could have gone with something like the ColdFire, which looks like a modern version of the 68k.

Reply 7 of 14, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't really see the point of this thing.

It's quite expensive and I don't expect the full library of NeoGeo games to become available on this device, at least not legally.

So for someone who wants to enjoy more than the bundled titles (and maybe the few games that get released afterwards) it's not really an option.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge SNK/NeoGeo nerd. I've got tons of original games and hardware (arcade, handhelds, console etc.) but this isn't much better than a modded PSP with emulators.

Getting a NeoGeo isn't that expensive.
I recommend everyone to get a consolized MVS. It's got the full library of games (more than the AES) and the games are a lot cheaper. Just take Garou:MotW or Ninja Master's as an example. And theres no emulation involved either 😉

::42::

Reply 8 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tricky... It's way too expensive to be sold through cheap chains as a "wow that's cool, I'll just grab it" product like with the Atari and Sega products. Those who care will be interested in comparing it to the real thing, and if it's different enough won't recommend getting it.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 14, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Mystery wrote:

You would seem to have unusual ideas about "expensive".

Yea, seriously.. I see individual AES carts go for 800-$1,200 on eBay. Some of those titles are VERY hard to come by.

Mystery wrote:

I recommend everyone to get a consolized MVS. It's got the full library of games (more than the AES) and the games are a lot cheaper. Just take Garou:MotW or Ninja Master's as an example. And theres no emulation involved either 😉

I've seen people talking about this. That's like putting a NEOGEO arcade cabinet in a console right?

Reply 11 of 14, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since I already own the original hardware, I don't think I'll be getting this. It's a cool idea, but I cannot imagine the sales will be all that high. It is a pretty niche market.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 12 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
simbin wrote:

Yea, seriously.. I see individual AES carts go for 800-$1,200 on eBay. Some of those titles are VERY hard to come by.

To be fair, MVS carts are indeed much, much less expensive than AES carts; hence the recommendation of a consolized MVS. (An AES can also use MVS carts with an adapter, but I understand it is not always reliable.)

Still, even then it is far from cheap, or so I understood.

I've seen people talking about this. That's like putting a NEOGEO arcade cabinet in a console right?

Da.

Reply 13 of 14, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't quote my out of context 😉
I was obviously referring to the MVS and not the AES. Yes, AES carts can cost hundreds and thousands of dollars, that's why I recommended the MVS. Games still don't come dirt cheap like they are for other systems, but compared to the AES versions my statement is absolutely correct. It's not that expensive.
Getting Metal Slug, Garou: MotW, Ninja Master's, Blazing Star etc. won't cost you more than 50-100$ a game, while each individual title will be 1000$ or more for the AES.
The MVS is the exact same system and the games are exactly the same. A consolized MV-1A board is also a lot cheaper and more reliable than an AES console with a MVS converter, which won't run certain titles.

I never said it was "cheap" 😉

simbin:
A consolizes MVS is removing the MVS mainboard from the arcade cab and soldering video out, controller ports etc. to it. It connects to the TV and uses original NeoGeo controllers.

This is an example of a consolized MVS: http://home.arcor.de/supergoose/neo_geo/conso … v1fz_roy_06.jpg
This is how it looks unmodified: http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/6/6f/MV-1A.jpg

::42::

Reply 14 of 14, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your other option is getting a AES system, then picking up a MVS to AES cartridge adaptor. You can then play MVS carts on your AES.

Any way you look at it, collecting Neo Geo original parts is an expensive hobby. If you just want to play the games, there are plenty cheaper alternatives. Many of the best games have been already been ported to other systems.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube