VOGONS

Reply 21 of 89, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So how far has MESS progressed in terms of emulating the N64 hardware? Is it capable of running any games with a suitably beefy hardware setup?

Reply 22 of 89, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

So how far has MESS progressed in terms of emulating the N64 hardware? Is it capable of running any games with a suitably beefy hardware setup?

Not sure on how beefy a machine is needed (these videos are sped up), but here are videos of it running games: ...
Mario 64 almost a year ago
Mario 64
Smash Bros.
Mario Kart

Reply 23 of 89, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

No.

Generally speaking, if it only uses 2D graphics, it should run very well and be playable framerates and come close to, if not, "full speed".

If it uses 3D graphics, it will crawl at 33-50% speeds on current hardware.

And there's still some graphic bugs and so on.

Here's some recent bench tests, running the first 90 seconds of games without input - not much, but best I can do short-term:

System 1: mess64 -bench 90
n64 sm64u : Average speed: 57.28% (89 seconds)
Mario's head spinning around, not really indicative of in-game work.

System 1 specs: C2D Wolfdale e8400 @ 3.6Ghz.

--------

System 2: mess64 -bench 90
n64 sm64u: Average speed: Super Mario 64: 47% (90 seconds)
Again: Mario's head spinning around, not really indicative of in-game work.
n64: 1080 Snowboarding: Average speed: 42% (89 seconds)
n64: Automobili Lamborghini: Average speed: 41% (90 seconds)
n64: Doom64: Average speed: 34% (90 seconds)
n64: Hydro Thunder: Average speed: 57% (89 seconds)
(mostly due to the 2d logos at the start causing the game to run at 100%, average more like 47%)
n64: Densha de Go! 64 (Japanese Train Simulator): Average speed: 52% (89 seconds)
(again due to 2d logos, average more like 45%)

System 2 specs: AMD Phenom II x6 3.3Ghz:

--------

System 3: mess64 -bench 90
n64 sm64u: Average speed: 70.15% (89 seconds)
Again: Mario's head spinning around, not really indicative of in-game work.

System 3 specs: Core I7 2600k @4.4GHz

--------

Thanks to: John_IV (System 1), MikeAbson (System 2), Reznor007 (System 3)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 24 of 89, by GPDP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like MESS has competition:

http://www.emutalk.net/threads/54131-Announce … pment-underway/
https://github.com/tj90241/cen64

Already this can play light games like Namco Museum, and it might be booting Super Mario 64 soon. I'm very excited for this project, although I doubt I'll be able to run it full-speed when it is finished.

Reply 26 of 89, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think its criminal that the best output available for the N64 was composite video, not even s-video, thats what really puts me off the old console.

Reply 27 of 89, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dirkmirk wrote:

I think its criminal that the best output available for the N64 was composite video, not even s-video, thats what really puts me off the old console.

Nearly all N64s have S-video, Ninty just didn't sell a cable. Depending on the region, you could use a SNES or Gamecube S-Video cable, but Nintendo liked to dick around with adding or removing coupling caps, pull-up resistors, and so forth.

All N64s can be modded to output SCART RGB. Some with just some wires, others with a replacement video DAC.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 28 of 89, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use my N64 over SVideo on my Panasonic CRT. Works great.

To the OP, I agree, N64 emulation has never been perfect, but I understand the difficulty of emulating this system properly. This is why I mostly have given up on emulation these days and keep all my old consoles plugged into a CRT.

To satiate my nostalgia, it takes the real thing.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 29 of 89, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
dirkmirk wrote:

Nearly all N64s have S-video, Ninty just didn't sell a cable. Depending on the region, you could use a SNES or Gamecube S-Video cable, but Nintendo liked to dick around with adding or removing coupling caps, pull-up resistors, and so forth.

All N64s can be modded to output SCART RGB. Some with just some wires, others with a replacement video DAC.

I have a third party cable from the mid 2000s with plugs for the PS2/PSone, original Xbox, and SNES/N64/Gamecube, and it works awesomely for S-video output on the N64. 😁 I haven't actually used it with my N64 in ages since one of my former friends borrowed my controllers and never gave them back, 🤣 but I do remember it working well.

Reply 32 of 89, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lately I've been using PistolGrip's 1964 build to play Perfect Dark, and it's awesome. 😁 It sets things up for not only accurate graphics emulation and widescreen support, but it also adds WASD +mouselook controls, so it plays just like a PC fps.

The only major downsides are that it can be quite CPU intensive at times, especially when it tries to simultaneously render uncloaking effects, motion blur, or the Farsight's aiming system, as well, the framerate sometimes switches between 30fps and 60fps, which can really mess with the gameplay flow. I say this is a small cost to pay to play one of my favorite games of all time in glorious high resolution with awesome controls though. 😁

Reply 33 of 89, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i agree. I wish golden eye worked well with emu - its terrible. Mario kart runs almost flawlessly in project 64 1.6 which is good. P64 2.x?? Wow. I havent checked for a while. Off topic but I am truely dissapointed with sega saturn emu.

Reply 36 of 89, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SSF Work very well, thought there is still alot of unspported game for it. Mortal Kombat II and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 work well, so do Panzer Dragoon. Doom for the Saturn do not work thought

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperDave341?feature=mhee

My Youtube Channel for PC/DOS Gameplays, Mortal Kombat and Glitch Related Video

Reply 37 of 89, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i recall my favourites having very little or no support in SSF. Nights. Shining the holy arc, Shining force scenario 1,2,3 and premium disk - must be difficult to emu those titles

Reply 39 of 89, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rgart wrote:

i recall my favourites having very little or no support in SSF. Nights. Shining the holy arc, Shining force scenario 1,2,3 and premium disk - must be difficult to emu those titles

Ah no, pretty sure most of these work just fine on SSF. It may need some tweaking and a relatively fast PC, although I was playing most of these on my Core2Duo E6550 years ago.
What's your PC specs?