N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Emulation of old consoles and arcades.

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby Jorpho » 2013-9-22 @ 17:18

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:All I want is to be able to run the Perfect Dark/Goldeneye-optimized build of 1964 at a consistent speed.
Well, gee, if that's all you want, just get the XBLA version of Perfect Dark, and maybe Goldeneye Reloaded. Problem solved.
User avatar
Jorpho
l33t++
 
Posts: 7043
Joined: 2003-2-14 @ 19:50
Location: Canada

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby mr_bigmouth_502 » 2013-9-22 @ 20:06

You can't play those with a keyboard and mouse like you can with the enhanced emulator. Also, the textures and models look screwed up in the XBLA Perfect Dark remake, and Goldeneye Reloaded is just a modernized bastardization with things like regenerating health, a 2/3 weapon limit, QTEs, etc. Essentially, it's like a Goldeneye-themed mod for Halo or Call of Duty.
My NEW(ish) desktop:
Image
User avatar
mr_bigmouth_502
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1936
Joined: 2009-5-16 @ 19:43
Location: Canada

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby Kerr Avon » 2013-9-25 @ 18:19

Jorpho wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:All I want is to be able to run the Perfect Dark/Goldeneye-optimized build of 1964 at a consistent speed.
Well, gee, if that's all you want, just get the XBLA version of Perfect Dark, and maybe Goldeneye Reloaded. Problem solved.


Goldeneye on the 360/PS3/Wii has almost nothing in common with the N64 classic. The modern "re-imagining" is nothing but Call of Duty with a James Bond re-skin - it's only similarities to the N64 game are it's story, it's name, it's characters and some of the locations, though in all these cases there are enough differences so that Rare can't sue them. The areas they didn't apparently even try to copy the N64 game are; fun, imagination, replayability, and atmosphere. Though the modern games do have some great weather effects.




Jorpho wrote:For Perfect Dark, It already has the graphical effects and overall gameplay feel down-pat, but it annoys me just how inconsistant the speed is. Sometimes it runs with a 30fps limit like the real system, which works well for the pace of the gameplay. Other times, it forgets the limit and runs at 60fps which while fun, is inaccurate in terms of replicating the gameplay feel. Then there are the motion blur and cloaking/decloaking effects, which tend to momentarily hang the emulation and sometimes even make it go down to an absolute crawl for several seconds, usually when more than one of these effects happens at once. This is especially annoying in the Combat Simulator, as the Farsight and the tranquilizer gun are some of my favorite weapons to use.


At the moment, the best thing you can do is to use a real N64. You will have to get used to the blurriness and low frame-rate, but when you do you don't notice the problems any more, at least not if you're playing games that really grab you.

If you do decide to use a real N64, then you might want to get a backup cartridge, so you can play all commercial games (some play all regions of games - check before you buy) and all of the game hacks (aside from the ones that don't work, such as the Super Mario 64 hacks :angry: )



As for Goldeneye, I haven't really tested it yet because while it's a decent enough game, there's almost no point in playing it other than for the story mode, since Perfect Dark does pretty much everything Goldeneye does, but better.


Goldeneye's single player is still excellent, and *well* worth playing. Some people think it's better than PD's, though I don't - but I do think GE's levels are more atmospheric than PD's.
Kerr Avon
Member
 
Posts: 358
Joined: 2007-6-29 @ 14:33

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby swaaye » 2013-9-25 @ 19:27

Yeah nuGoldeneye is one of those "reboot" things. It's almost completely different. It isn't awful, it just is not the old game. Just like JJ Trek lol
swaaye
Moderator
 
Posts: 6912
Joined: 2002-7-22 @ 21:24
Location: WI, USA

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby mr_bigmouth_502 » 2013-9-25 @ 23:44

Kerr Avon wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:All I want is to be able to run the Perfect Dark/Goldeneye-optimized build of 1964 at a consistent speed.
Well, gee, if that's all you want, just get the XBLA version of Perfect Dark, and maybe Goldeneye Reloaded. Problem solved.


Goldeneye on the 360/PS3/Wii has almost nothing in common with the N64 classic. The modern "re-imagining" is nothing but Call of Duty with a James Bond re-skin - it's only similarities to the N64 game are it's story, it's name, it's characters and some of the locations, though in all these cases there are enough differences so that Rare can't sue them. The areas they didn't apparently even try to copy the N64 game are; fun, imagination, replayability, and atmosphere. Though the modern games do have some great weather effects.




Jorpho wrote:For Perfect Dark, It already has the graphical effects and overall gameplay feel down-pat, but it annoys me just how inconsistant the speed is. Sometimes it runs with a 30fps limit like the real system, which works well for the pace of the gameplay. Other times, it forgets the limit and runs at 60fps which while fun, is inaccurate in terms of replicating the gameplay feel. Then there are the motion blur and cloaking/decloaking effects, which tend to momentarily hang the emulation and sometimes even make it go down to an absolute crawl for several seconds, usually when more than one of these effects happens at once. This is especially annoying in the Combat Simulator, as the Farsight and the tranquilizer gun are some of my favorite weapons to use.


At the moment, the best thing you can do is to use a real N64. You will have to get used to the blurriness and low frame-rate, but when you do you don't notice the problems any more, at least not if you're playing games that really grab you.

If you do decide to use a real N64, then you might want to get a backup cartridge, so you can play all commercial games (some play all regions of games - check before you buy) and all of the game hacks (aside from the ones that don't work, such as the Super Mario 64 hacks :angry: )



As for Goldeneye, I haven't really tested it yet because while it's a decent enough game, there's almost no point in playing it other than for the story mode, since Perfect Dark does pretty much everything Goldeneye does, but better.


Goldeneye's single player is still excellent, and *well* worth playing. Some people think it's better than PD's, though I don't - but I do think GE's levels are more atmospheric than PD's.


I actually own a real n64 and a copy of Perfect Dark. I'd still be playing it if it weren't for the fact that I lent my two controllers to a "friend" of mine two years ago and never got them back. XD I'm especially pissed since the analog sticks on those things were in great shape, not 100% perfect, but tight enough that they would still properly center.

Also, somehow one of my posts got misattributed to Jorpho. XD
My NEW(ish) desktop:
Image
User avatar
mr_bigmouth_502
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1936
Joined: 2009-5-16 @ 19:43
Location: Canada

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby swaaye » 2013-9-26 @ 00:31

Perfect Dark just doesn't feel right if you're not fighting the analog stick aim along with 8 frames per second. ;) The AI is all slow-motiony for a reason!
swaaye
Moderator
 
Posts: 6912
Joined: 2002-7-22 @ 21:24
Location: WI, USA

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby mr_bigmouth_502 » 2013-9-26 @ 21:49

As far as analog sticks go, the one on the N64 controller is actually pretty nice for FPS games. It's fragile as all hell, but it is just so damn precise compared to what you find on other systems. Most analog sticks only really offer the amount of precision needed go from walking to running, but they are poor as far as aiming precision in FPS games. Unfortunately, part of what makes them so imprecise is the fact that they're build "hardier", with thicker stems and a different movement tracking system.
My NEW(ish) desktop:
Image
User avatar
mr_bigmouth_502
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1936
Joined: 2009-5-16 @ 19:43
Location: Canada

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby d1stortion » 2013-9-26 @ 22:40

It's a piece of shit. :) Fortunately (or maybe not, in terms of sales) for Nintendo they came up with a perfect and durable solution on the Gamecube.
d1stortion
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: 2012-7-19 @ 20:42

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby mr_bigmouth_502 » 2013-9-27 @ 01:26

The Gamecube controller as a whole is quite possibly one of the best ever made, though I find the C stick to be a bit lackluster due to its shape, and the lack of "clickability" on the analog sticks is puzzling as well. Other than those two things though, I love it.
My NEW(ish) desktop:
Image
User avatar
mr_bigmouth_502
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1936
Joined: 2009-5-16 @ 19:43
Location: Canada

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby sliderider » 2013-9-27 @ 13:26

Kerr Avon wrote:The areas they didn't apparently even try to copy the N64 game are; fun, imagination, replayability, and atmosphere.


You made milk come out my nose! Lol!
User avatar
sliderider
l33t++
 
Posts: 5752
Joined: 2010-6-25 @ 13:02

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby Holering » 2014-5-25 @ 01:08

Yeah. N64 emulation isn't what it should be IMO. Think the glide plugin for project64 is about as good as it gets. You ever try running Yoshi's Story without problems? NullDC Dreamcast emulator despite not being very compatible, and glitchy, seems more robust than N64 emulation IMO.
Holering
 

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby mr_bigmouth_502 » 2014-5-25 @ 01:23

Holering wrote:Yeah. N64 emulation isn't what it should be IMO. Think the glide plugin for project64 is about as good as it gets. You ever try running Yoshi's Story without problems? NullDC Dreamcast emulator despite not being very compatible, and glitchy, seems more robust than N64 emulation IMO.


I second this, it actually amazes me how well NullDC works. Then again, I don't think the Dreamcast had an overly-complicated architecture.
My NEW(ish) desktop:
Image
User avatar
mr_bigmouth_502
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1936
Joined: 2009-5-16 @ 19:43
Location: Canada

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby KJ_Jose » 2017-1-09 @ 12:23

A common glitch with Nintendo 64 emulation is when you can see through objects when your 'camera' is very close to them. This is a common limitation of DirectX (and possibly OpenGL).
Follow me on Twitter @kristoffer_jose
https://twitter.com/kristoffer_jose
User avatar
KJ_Jose
Newbie
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 2015-1-12 @ 23:15
Location: Philippines

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby mr_bigmouth_502 » 2017-1-09 @ 23:15

KJ_Jose wrote:A common glitch with Nintendo 64 emulation is when you can see through objects when your 'camera' is very close to them. This is a common limitation of DirectX (and possibly OpenGL).

I'm pretty sure this was a problem on the real system too, though I can see why it would happen more frequently under emulation.
My NEW(ish) desktop:
Image
User avatar
mr_bigmouth_502
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1936
Joined: 2009-5-16 @ 19:43
Location: Canada

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby leileilol » 2017-1-10 @ 06:18

yes it is worth bumping an old thread to mention the common 3d essential near clipping plane.
User avatar
leileilol
l33t++
 
Posts: 8678
Joined: 2006-12-16 @ 18:03

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby Evert » 2017-1-10 @ 09:00

Is anyone else as excited as I am about the progress being made with CEN64? The rendered is primarily software based, for now, but so far, so good.

Footage of Zelda: OoT running on the latest build of CEN64
Image
User avatar
Evert
Member
 
Posts: 356
Joined: 2014-6-15 @ 12:04
Location: Pretoria, South Africa

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby mr_bigmouth_502 » 2017-1-10 @ 10:36

leileilol wrote:yes it is worth bumping an old thread to mention the common 3d essential near clipping plane.

I should've checked before I drew more attention to this thread. XD I haven't actually played around with N64 emulation in ages. What's the "best" setup to use if I don't have a monster PC?
My NEW(ish) desktop:
Image
User avatar
mr_bigmouth_502
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1936
Joined: 2009-5-16 @ 19:43
Location: Canada

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby lightmaster » 2017-1-10 @ 12:36

leileilol wrote:yes it is worth bumping an old thread to mention the common 3d essential near clipping plane.

This!!
Image
User avatar
lightmaster
Oldbie
 
Posts: 602
Joined: 2005-10-01 @ 12:09
Location: Sol III(¡¿

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby Jorpho » 2017-1-10 @ 14:33

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:I haven't actually played around with N64 emulation in ages.
I am not aware of any big changes happening.
User avatar
Jorpho
l33t++
 
Posts: 7043
Joined: 2003-2-14 @ 19:50
Location: Canada

Re: N64 emulation - does anyone else share my dissatisfaction?

Postby lightmaster » 2017-1-10 @ 18:01

Somebody teach KJ_Jose and close this pls.
Image
User avatar
lightmaster
Oldbie
 
Posts: 602
Joined: 2005-10-01 @ 12:09
Location: Sol III(¡¿

PreviousNext

Return to Console & Arcade Emulation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest