VOGONS

Game Pads

Topic actions

First post, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would like a recommendation for a PC gamepad that will work with Windows 7. I'd like something with USB, solid construction and enough buttons for SNES games. Small form factor is a plus.

Reply 2 of 31, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This product will serve your needs : http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPat … &products_id=29

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 3 of 31, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a ton of various USB gamepads. Some that look like famicom, SNES or Genesis remakes.

The brand I recommend is Buffalo. They do various "lookalike" controllers.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 31, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a Defender GameRacer, would not recommend it to anybody. It's ergonomic and has soft buttons, but wiring is weird, the cross and the buttons on the right duplicate sticks, so it basically has 8btn+ 4axis rather than 12btn+cross+2axis.

I don't know, maybe there's just something wrong with me, but it did not meet all my expectations.

Reply 5 of 31, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There not small but wired Xbox 360 pads work well with emulators under windows 7. Just completed DuckTales: Remastered using it. To me it feels better than the old SNES pad that I have connected via a USB converter. But that's maybe due to the SNES pads age and amount of use its had. I would definitely recommend the 360 pad its cheap, very compatible and widely available.

Steam | World of Warcraft

Reply 7 of 31, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Soupdragon wrote:

There not small but wired Xbox 360 pads work well with emulators under windows 7. Just completed DuckTales: Remastered using it. To me it feels better than the old SNES pad that I have connected via a USB converter. But that's maybe due to the SNES pads age and amount of use its had. I would definitely recommend the 360 pad its cheap, very compatible and widely available.

I second this. I have a wired Xbox 360 controller, and it works awesomely with emulators. One thing I will point out though, I'm not really a big fan of the stock Microsoft drivers since they lack configuration options, and even some of the 3rd party drivers can have issues (I use the XBCD drivers on my XP machine, and sometimes I have this recurring issue with Dolphin where the right analog stick will think it's being pressed to the right when in actuality I'm not even touching it).

Reply 9 of 31, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know you asked for wired USB, but I use a Wireless Xbox 360 gamepad. Love it, and no wires to yank during frenetic gameplay. There just is no better solution IMHO.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 10 of 31, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another vote for the XBox 360 pad here. I use a wired pad (saves messing about with recharching, and the wire is long enough to avoid inconvenience), the pads design (buttons, analogue sticks, shape of the pad, etc) is great, and using XPadder (google for it) you can play any game you like with the XBox 360 pad). It's USB, reasonably priced, long lasting (unlike some that wear away quickly *cough* official Nintendo controller *cough*).

Reply 11 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 360 pad (or a suitable knockoff) is desirable primarily because more and more games these days are designed for it specifically. If you find a pad that doesn't already include a USB adapter, they're widely available, as are suitable third-party wireless transceivers if you choose to go that way.

If you're fond of the Nintendo DS and you have a means of running homebrew, you can apparently use that with a PC, though I never got around to trying it personally.

Kerr Avon wrote:

It's USB, reasonably priced, long lasting (unlike some that wear away quickly *cough* official Nintendo controller *cough*).

Are you referring to the Wii gamepad controllers? The official NES and SNES pads seem to be widely regarded as exceptionally durable.

Reply 12 of 31, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have two 360 pads, and they are great for modern games, but in my opinion the d-pad is absolutely useless for retro gaming. It's way too easy to accidentally hit a diagonal, it's "squishy". This causes your character to get stuck in games that don't support diagonal movement, or move in the wrong direction entirely, in games that do support diagonal movement.

Going by the general opinion here it would seem that I'm the only person in the world who's frustrated by this - I'm not - there's a mod that supposedly improves the d-pad, which involves cutting out and inserting a plastic disc below it in order to make it more precise. I tried it myself but I couldn't get it right.

Reply 14 of 31, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speedlink XEOX Pro Analog Gamepad SL-6556-BK

A pretty good Xbox 360 controller clone with a better D-Pad and a XInput/DirectInput switch on the back.

http://images.speedlink.com/prodpics/_spl/SL- … -bk_rgb_001.jpg

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 15 of 31, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually don't mind the d-pad on the standard Xbox 360 controller. In fact, if anything it's actually one of my favorite d-pad designs due to the fact that it can handle diagonals really really well. I know, call me a heretic, but I seriously like it.

Reply 16 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I actually don't mind the d-pad on the standard Xbox 360 controller. In fact, if anything it's actually one of my favorite d-pad designs due to the fact that it can handle diagonals really really well. I know, call me a heretic, but I seriously like it.

I've never understood any of the complaints about the 360 controllers. Everything works fine for me. I also never understood all the complaints about the original XBox controller. I finally find a controller that is big enough for my hands and they go and replace it with their Japanese market controller, which was designed for smaller Japanese hands. 😠

Reply 17 of 31, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It depends on what you use it for. The d-pad is great for weapon selection or whatever in modern games.

Try playing Mr. Driller in MAME with the d-pad.

All out gamer-rage guaranteed, even if you haven't felt that since you were 14 years old. I can promise that you will want to punch a hole in the wall with your 360 controller before you can finish the first stage.

Reply 18 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sune Salminen wrote:

It depends on what you use it for. The d-pad is great for weapon selection or whatever in modern games.

Try playing Mr. Driller in MAME with the d-pad.

All out gamer-rage guaranteed, even if you haven't felt that since you were 14 years old. I can promise that you will want to punch a hole in the wall with your 360 controller before you can finish the first stage.

If I can play it with the Dreamcast controller, the 360 controller should be a snap.