VOGONS

First post, by Holering

User metadata

So how fast can you legally emulate it in Mame?

I'll start by saying I get usually 80% frame rate with occasional dips to 120; sometimes it will drop to %45 however (especially during attract mode when scores show with cars lined up at night). This is on a bootstrapped 64-bit Linux install with optimal CFLAGS; Mame has some additional cflags. Stock FX6300 CPU with 4.1ghz turbo enabled.

This has to be the most underrated game in history. Always heard people back in the day talking about Doom and its amazing technology. This game was around the same time as Doom I believe, and I only knew about it when I traded all my SNES stuff for a playstation (1995 ish). Didn't realize how amazing the original arcade technology was since I was so hooked on the game at home (one of my all time favorite racing games), but this blows any other technology I've seen in 1993 out the freakin' water! Full 60 FPS 640x480 resolution, perspective correct texture mapped polygons (with a zbuffer I'm pretty sure; no twitching polygons); it smokes the N64 IMO. This makes Virtua Fighter look like Atari. Amazing stuff at the time!

EDIT:
Had time to benchmark under Windows and compare to my Linux install.

Linux 64-bit Piledriver-GCC bootstrapped (Piledriver-GCC sdl-mame-0152):
Average speed: 125.90% (89 seconds)

Windows 7 64 Bit (Stock Mame64 0152b.exe):
Average speed: 78.05% (89 seconds)

Command used:
Windows: mame64.exe -rompath \whereitis\rom -inipath \whereitis\ini -bench 90 ridgera2
Linux: mame -rompath /whereitis/rom -inipath /whereitis/ini -bench 90 ridgera2

Both windows and linux used very similar inis. Windows used directx 9 with filtering disabled, and Linux used sdl-opengl with filtering disabled. Also, no matter how many times I ran Windows build, I couldn't get better than 78.05%, and cpu usage wouldn't climb beyond %50 (usually hovered around 15-37%). Had multithread "1", numprocessors "6", and priority "100". Same settings on Linux (except I don't know about priority setting). All other settings were the same (sound enabled @ 48000khz and 0 latency, 640x480 resolution, no throttling, vsync off, switchres 1). Couldn't check cpu usage in Linux, as screen became blank during benchmark (Windows doesn't open a blank screen or anything so you can monitor it easier).

Perhaps someone else with piledriver could confirm this speed in Windows? I'm using the fx6300 which is a six core cpu.

EDIT:
CPU usage hovers around 50-70% on each core in Linux (dips a few times to 0%). Speed hasn't changed in Windows.

Last edited by Holering on 2014-05-25, 06:36. Edited 12 times in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is MAME multithreaded, i.e. how many cores are loaded when you run the game? Does it use any specific instruction sets?

An overclocked Haswell would do considerably better than your FX. I don't know whether it's fast enough to prevent the frame rate drops though.

Reply 2 of 8, by truth_deleted

User metadata

It would be interesting if you could compare the speed between the linux binary and a win64 binary already built by the developers.

Additional information:
Ridge Racer on slower CPUs (for Windows; perhaps runs under Wine):
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/arcade/vivanonno.html
-or-
console ports
PSX port with GSdx (or OpenGL) video output allowing enhanced graphics
N64 port

MAME's CPU requirements to play Ridge Racer:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=130988.0

CPU benchmarks, FX6300 versus other CPUs:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-6300+Six-Core

Reply 3 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Surely an i7 will make mince meat of that game 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you put together a ready-to-go ZIP so we can test this?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 8, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

mame64 ridgera2 -bench 90
Average speed: 270.48% (89 seconds)

Windows 7, 64-bit MAME .153
Core i5-3570k. All four cores maxed out during the benchmark @ 4.2 GHz.

Running unthrottled, the lowest I've seen it go is 130% during the attract mode night scene.

Reply 8 of 8, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used a default .153 .ini generated with mame64 -cc, no settings were changed.

It's no secret that MAME favors Intel but the gap is too big here I think.
There's something wrong on your end if you're seeing less than 100% CPU use, but I don't know what it is.