VOGONS

Versions of MAME Compatible with Windows 98?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to know which versions of MAME are compatible with Windows 98, with or without KernelEx? Obviously the latest version dosen't work, even with KernelEx.

Reply 2 of 8, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dont think its a unicode problem since kernelex installs unicode with it. The error messages I get when attempting to run the latest version of MAME with kernelex are the link to missing export or import and the device attached to system not functioning errors.

Reply 8 of 8, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A Raspberry Pi port of mame (and its derivatives) target versions 0.37b5 and 0.106. I think the 0.106 could be tested, or modified if necessary, for Windows 98. The 0.106 version is also used by the more recent versions of advmame which has some Windows binary and also a DOS version. The DOS version has advanced capability to work with arcade monitors, but does show that the 0.106 branch is adaptable to other systems.

The other issue is the CPU requirement. I would think by ~2006 that the emulator has a CPU requirement that exceeds a typical Windows 98 system. It would pay to first test the >0.106 versions for their CPU requirement before considering them for Win98.

Edit: here is a good one to test - mameui v0.62.