VOGONS

Emulation on MS Windows 3.1x ?

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 331, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. Found an early emulator for the NEC PC-6000 series, iP6/Windows.
This platform was better known in Europe/US as the NEC TREK computer system.
The latest release runs on Windows 3.1+Win32s, but there's a problem with the video.

Issue seems to be on the Windows 3.1 side, in GDI/WinDIB. We saw a similar issue with vMac before.
Just to be sure, I used an unaccelerated SVGA driver and different colour depths, as well.
On European Windows XP, it runs as expected. NT 3.51 failed (no luck w/ MSIME32).

If you're on Windows 9x or an older Windows NT operating system that's not Japanese,
you may need the WINNLS dummy DLL or the real thing (WINNLS.DLL, IMM.DLL)
See https://otakuworld.com/index.html?/toys/utils.html

The emulator can be found at http://p6ers.net/mm/pc-6001/

It emulates the basic PC-6001 (32KB),-which basically has no software support-,
as well as the more popular PC-6001 mk2 and successors: PC-6001 mk2SR, PC-6601 and PC-6601SR.
A floppy drive for the PC-6001 Mk2 seems to be emulated, too.

Specs of the basic model (PC-6001)
NEC µPD780 CPU (Zilog Z80 clone),
16 KB RAM (32 KB max expansion)
AY-3-8910 3-voice PSG
ROM Cartridge connector
cassette tape interface
2x joystick port
parallel printer connector
composite video output, RF modulator output

It supports four screen modes; 32x16 characters with 4 colors,
64x48 pixel graphics with 9 colors, 128x192 graphics with 4 colors,
and 256x192 graphics with white and green colors.

Edit: Demonstration of different video modes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbEVbHwsB6I

640px-NEC_PC-6001_no_brown_seat.jpg
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NEC_PC-600 … _brown_seat.jpg

NEC TREK pictures: http://www.blackdiamond.co.za/incomp/nectrekpix.html

PS: I've attached an archive containing the versions on the aforementioned website.
In addition, replacement files for the BASIC interpreter and the character font are provided (BIOS files).

I hope that's okay - to my understanding, these are free remakes of the originals (GPL license etc).
They're merely usable for getting basic emulation of the original PC-6001 going, also.
That being said, I'll remove them on request, of course. There are no bad intentions.

I've merely attached them, because they're really hard to find.
It requires lots of patience and traveling across Japanese language websites.

Attachments

• ip6_a.png
    Filename
    ip6_a.png
    File size
    57.34 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Emulator running on Windows 3.1 w/ Win32s (both Japanese)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • ip6_b.png
    Filename
    ip6_b.png
    File size
    63.96 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    File license
  • ip6_c.png
    Filename
    ip6_c.png
    File size
    50.66 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    File license
  • ip6_d.png
    Filename
    ip6_d.png
    File size
    76.55 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    iP6 on Western/European Windows XP SP3
    File license
  • Filename
    ip6win_basic.zip
    File size
    544.78 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File comment
    iP6 for Windows w/ interpreter and font
    File license
Last edited by Jo22 on 2023-11-17, 08:33. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 321 of 331, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's hard to imagine how anemic a lot of these old computers really were in terms of raw hardware performance if they can be emulated so well on such old hardware. It's so impressive to see all of this hard work by so many talented people.

This was also the era of experienced ASM programmers, so I would imagine that so much if this code is very tight for the era, and this is what helps so many of them run as well as that do.

Reply 322 of 331, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi Kahenraz, nice to see you again! 😃

Kahenraz wrote on 2023-11-17, 04:54:

It's hard to imagine how anemic a lot of these old computers really were in terms of raw hardware performance if they can be emulated so well on such old hardware.
It's so impressive to see all of this hard work by so many talented people.

I know, right?! 🙂
The 8 and 16 Bit microchip era (including 16/32-Bit era) was kind of special here, in some way or another.

At one hand, you could build/fix things on a kitchen table at home, while simultaneously the hardware was capable enough to be used in daily life.

That's also why, say, Amiga people used to be so enthusiastic, I think.
With a soldering iron, a few wires and a stack of books about programming/hardware design, everything seemed possible.

The power was in the hand of the user, there was a feeling of being independent and creative.
And it wasn't wrong, I think. The 16-Bit era had a lot to offer.

Believe it or not, I managed to get the GBC game Shantae to run on an 10 MHz 80286 PC with VGA graphics.
I used no$GB, if I remember correctly.

_
Generally speaking, the trick was (is) to take "shortcuts in emulation".
Because of the hardware limitations of the time, developers/programmers had to get creative. 🙂👍

Many earlier emulators thus used tricks, that could be enabled, to enhance performance.
Playing with the timings and skipping certain parts were two of them.

On the other hand, many accuracy fans didn't quite like that approach (they even existed back then).

Even though all the hackery was an optional feature, most of the time (tricks could be disabled in emulators often, in favor of clean/more compatible emulation).

_
Back in the later 90s, games had been widely patched/tricked to work well in emulators.
And as time went on, this ended up in the extreme.
At some point, the resulting binaries did end up as being incompatible with real hardware.

Ok, in principle, that wouldn't have been so bad if the internet wasn't the way it was.:
Instead of distributing patches and games separately, the retro fans started sharing pre-patched binaries.
Which merely ran in emulation. Or worse, on specific type (& version!) of an emulator.

That's about (roughly) when emulators got internal patching ability, I believe, to at least also partially prevent modified binaries from spreading.

The whole re-dumping scene started roughly at that time, too.
People had an increasing interest in preservation of "clean" (unaltered) binary images.

That's when the header formats had been improved, as well, I believe.

There was an increasing desire not just being able to play old games or run old applications,
but also preserve the original experience.

That finally ended up in very sophisticated emulators such as BSNES, which were *very* demanding.
And not ideal for casual playing, maybe, but rather great for studying/research.

These emulators were primarily designed to be cycle exact and to mimic the internal working of the real model.

It was essentially no longer traditional emulation at this point, but an evolutionary step torwards mimicry.
The FPGA movement contributed to this, as well, maybe.

Anyway, I'm speaking under correction here. That's just my current, personal point-of-view.
So I hope I'm not getting quoted here. 😅

Emulator developers, cr*ckers and sceners are more competent to make a proper statement here.

This was also the era of experienced ASM programmers, so I would imagine that so much if this code is very tight for the era, and this is what helps so many of them run as well as that do.

Yay! Makes me remember my father's ring binders!
He's got collected a lot of 8-Bit era listings, mainly containing Z80 assembly (not sure if Intel or Zilog Mnemonics, though).
Anyway, if there's an interest, I can post some photos! 😃

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 323 of 331, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's hard to imagine how anemic a lot of these old computers really were in terms of raw hardware performance if they can be emulated so well on such old hardware. It's so impressive to see all of this hard work by so many talented people.

I got "calibrated" to emulation being possible on about 4-6 times the clock speed on the host system, with it managing about 95% compatibility.... that it seems to take 20-100 times the clock to get that last 5% these days really ticks me off.... and the size... holy crap... I'm not sure it could be any larger if it was a lookup table of every instruction combo result.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 324 of 331, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a similar experience with N64 emulators. They would run just fine on my old Vanta and some Pentium processor for Mario 64 back in the day, but it took years and many Ghz to manage the last bit of compatibility and speed needed by most games.

Reply 325 of 331, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-11-17, 15:56:

I got "calibrated" to emulation being possible on about 4-6 times the clock speed on the host system, with it managing about 95% compatibility.... that it seems to take 20-100 times the clock to get that last 5% these days really ticks me off.... and the size... holy crap... I'm not sure it could be any larger if it was a lookup table of every instruction combo result.

I hope you guys don't mind if I join that discussion. 🤓
Personally, I remember that at one point, factor 10 was a vague rule of thumb, too.
It was somewhat convenient as a number to tell beginners about emulation.
That way, they got a feeling for complexity of the vintage systems.

So they understood why an 1GHz Pentium III was needed to emulate, say, an 386/486 era PC.
Or why a 10 MHz AT (and up) was needed to emulate a humble C64 at 1 MHz.

But things have quite changed for the worse since the days of ZSNES and small, quick C64 emulators.

That's why a few years ago I got a bit angry over BSNES and its wasteful use of resources..
While my basic opinion hasn't changed, I do try my best to tolerate such nitpicking emulators by thinking of them as neat research/debugging tools.

Their accuracy is really helpful to troubleshoot certain things, to emulate the complete hardware of things like Super Gameboy adapter or the Satellaview.

But playing games on them? Casually? I really don't know. It somehow doesn't feel right to me, not sure how to explain.
(In my head, a scene of Bill&Ted playing their precious guitars very badly shows up.)
Even if the raw processing power was there, I would kind of feel guilty to torture/abuse any modern computer that way.
I can already hear the cooling fans "crying"..

That being said, if these highly accurate emulators would use the GPU shaders to run heavy emulation code, it would be different, maybe.
- GPUs are using some kind of parallel computing (many simple units performing tasks),
so the load is spread evenly across the GPU.

But that's just me, of course. Anyone is free to use what he/she/they feels comfortable with. 🙂

//My video channel//

Reply 326 of 331, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update. Found some remarkable online gallery with fan art related to video game classics.
You can find it here. It's a Japanese site. I've found it while browsing for emulator utilities.

Attachments

• oekaki-shantae8.png
    Filename
    oekaki-shantae8.png
    File size
    21.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    sample, fan art
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 327 of 331, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update. I'll try to be on-topic again, soon.
I'll do some more testing with the PC-6000 emulator and also show you that Z80 emulator.
Hope that's okay. Sorry for being a bit too chatty at times, also..

//My video channel//

Reply 328 of 331, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update. Got some games going for the PC-6001 emulator.. Classics like Mappy or Hurry Fox. ^^
Unfortunately, I can use cassette format only so far. Haven't figured out how to read P6 RAM images or load from diskette.

Problem is, there are different BASIC interpreters for each "mode" and I don't know how to use diskette command.
I'll check for the manual or see if I can find anything helpful online..

In the mean time, if you like, please have a look at this article.
It's about getting floppy drive (Gotek) to work.

https://www.leadedsolder.com/2021/05/18/mr-pc … -drive-fix.html

//My video channel//

Reply 329 of 331, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update. I've decided to use OS/2 with ODIN for taking screenshots, to keep the 90s experience intact.

However, I've faced some trouble here. I couldn't get Japanese OS/2 Warp 3 to work properly in Virtual PC.

Also, installing what felt like 30 fix packs (all in Japanese) or so felt like a nightmare. So I gave up on that idea.

Then, I thought about installing Japanese OS/2 Warp 4, with the latest fix packs included.
Installation was no problem, but ODIN failed to launch. Because, the HPFS driver in that OS/2 Warp release didn't work.

But HPFS was needed to access the D:\ partition were ODIN was installed (ODIN wants long filenames so HPFS was needed; C:\ uses FAT).

*sigh* So I'm a bit stuck here. Sorry for the delay.

//My video channel//

Reply 331 of 331, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-12-17, 10:24:

You could try using your phone with Google Translate to read the Japanese language dialogs.

Thank you, that's a really good idea. ^^

//My video channel//