VOGONS

First post, by Dos Game Player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I just downloaded the ADF files for Lemmings2 from Atomic Cabbidge. I started it up and it got to the DMA Design screen then the screen goes black and it says

SOFTWARE ERROR!

in a flashing red box.
I can't renember the rest.
What am I to do?

(Notes:
I am booting (virtually) from the ADF to a default ECS setting in WinUAE)

Reply 1 of 10, by Waylander

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your default settings are probably wrong if you goto this website

http://www.back2roots.org/Docs/Howtos/Configs/

gives you a list of different configurations that work with most games, if you create all these setups and save them on UAE. then try them out 1 at a time you should find the right configuration for your game.

Also the site has lots of top games such as DArkmere a classic RPG/Adventure game! 😀

Reply 2 of 10, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for bumping an old thread (you probably solved it by now), but you should always check out to see if games have a WHDLoad package (not only does it allow you to run floppy games from HDD, but it can fix bugs and allow older games to run on newer hardware e.g., OCS WB1.0 games on an A1200 with WB3.1)

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 3 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

gotcha! another fellow amigan! You will also find a 3rd one, Amigaz that is lurking here 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 10, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha! Yeah I spotted the name somewhere =P I'm new here, was a little sad that Vogons only had PC and MAC sections, but its ok coz the Amiga underground is absolutely MASSIVE. I came here for DOSBox support mainly, I'm taking a crack at the experimental PSP port of it... because i'm bored with the PSPUAE emulator and it being nowhere near fast enough 😜

EDIT: BTTR is an alright site, but the ultimate Amigame database would be the Hall Of Light so I suggest bookmarking it.

Lemmings 2: The Tribes on Hall Of Light -
http://hol.abime.net/875

Lemmings 3 is good fun (All New World of Lemmings or Lemmings Chronicles in the US) - and the Amiga port kicked-ass-all-over the MS-DOS conversion 😉

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 5 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
danielc wrote:

Lemmings 3 is good fun (All New World of Lemmings or Lemmings Chronicles in the US) - and the Amiga port kicked-ass-all-over the MS-DOS conversion 😉

It did? How so?

Reply 6 of 10, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well... I only say that because I'm an Amiga fan, and naturally have to think it's better in some way =P

Well even though the original was on the Amiga, the PC-DOS port was actually not too bad. I remember seeing many games where the PC port had horrible graphics compared to Amiga (Flashback, Mega Lo Mania, Sleepwalker) but Lemmings 3 was pretty identical - It was done well.

The PC version probably was actually better, the only reason being that it was assumed PC users had a harddisc to install to. But I remember trying to run it in both WinUAE and DOSBox, finding the Amiga version to be more functional on a modern machine (but harder to set up).

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 7 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would like to see some Amiga screenshots of Flashback to substantiate those claims. Mobygames has screenshots from just about every other of the game's many ports, but not from the Amiga version.

Reply 8 of 10, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try it yourself through emulation. Both Lemmings 2 and Lemmings 3 as well as Delphines' Flashback were all originally created on the Amiga, the Sega Megadrive/Genesis versions are also usually good because it has a similar architecture (68000 CPU), but the MS-DOS floppy version of Flashback was lacking in some areas - it's a port, and a bit of shovelware. Screenshots look similar between the both, but the motion on the PC was just yukky (you'll see it if you try yourself) - probably because PC's had immature blitting techniques and the Copper Hardware on Commodore's systems really helped with that fluidity. Apart from that, there's one reason why Amiga version of Flashback is the only one worth playing - the amazing MOD soundtrack by none other than Raphael Gesqua 😄

The graphics on MS-DOS port were OK, probably because it was only ECS on Amiga and the PC port was later in 1993 (when PC games started getting better).

Sorry... I didn't mean to turn this thread into a "Reasons why I think Amiga gaming is so much better than MS-DOS" rant =\

EDIT: Even though screenshots wont show the fluidity/FPS superiority of the Amiga version, you can see some here http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=414

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 9 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The sound in Amiga games really does "poop" all over the MS-Dos alternatives!! and quite a few games looked better too... but i am just another Amiga fan! I do enjoy Dos games too.....