VOGONS

First post, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I would like to ask what would you recommend for emulating Final Fantasy playstation games. I have PSX vesions of FF1, FF2, FF4, FF5, FF6, FF7, FF8 and I am planning to buy FF9.
I know that there are FF1-FF6 for NES/SNES, but just now I want to use PSX versions.
What emulaters (VGS, ePSXe,another) are the best for each game? And also which plugins for ePSXe are the best (there are a lot of them, giving various results).
I looked a bit on net, but usually found just some bits and pieces of information. Waxxxz018 wrote in another thread on this forum that he has all these games and runs thems without any problems. So if you could give some details here about what you use for these games ...

Edited: I now noticed that there are some plugins recommended in Waxxxz018 post ... Sorry, I overlooked it. Nevertheless I would be interested in any usefull information concerning running these games...

Mirek

Reply 1 of 4, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ePSXe is THE emulator...

Video Plugins:
- Pete's OpenGL2: Nvidia FX / Ati Radeon. Painfully slow in any other card.
- Pete's OpenGL: Almost any Nvidia card and some ATIs.
- Pete's DirectX: Any video card, but maybe Pete OpenGL would work better.
- Lewpy's: Got a Voodoo? This is your plugin.
- SoftGPUs (there are at least 2 plugins): Any slow computer (700 Mhz or less). 2D games works better with these plugins.

Audio Plugins:
- Use internal audio. If internal audio fails, get Eternal or Pete's plugins.

CD Plugins:
- Use internal CD plugin. If this fails, get Pete's plugin.

CAUTION: ePSXe requieres a carefully reading of readme files (of emulator and plugins). Failing to do so may result in bad graphics, stuttering sound and some other problems.

If you can speak spanish... vete a http://www.meristation.com y podrás encontrar un tutorial muy bueno sobre este emulador.

Reply 2 of 4, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Merik!!!

Nice to see a fellow FF fan!!! 😁 Sorry it took me a little while to reply to ya as I've been cleaning the ol' house the past couple of days as it was way past due! 🙄 😉

ePSXe = The Bomb!!! 😀

Zup's got the right idea about the GPU plugins as they depend on your videocard majorly. Petes/Peops drivers have special fixes in them for some of the FF games. What type of Videocard do ya have?

For a really awesome SPU I suggest Eternal SPU, it has great potential with Square games! 😁

My plugin is set at...

Audio Divice = Direct Sound
Buffer Size = 64
Audio Out Method = SPUAsync
Async Mode = Smooth

(These are my settings you might need to adjust yours to your Soundcards needs. As Zup put it, this is the tricky part as it's difficut sometimes to get great clear sound on some games, try different adjustments until ya get it.)

There is a special fix for FF8, FF9, & other Square games also in this SPU.

For a CDR plugin Peops CDR is great as it has a Auto-Detection on the Read Mode so ya don't have to fudge with it too much, which is helpfull! It also allows ya to .PPF patch your games with fixes from the net!

I don't know if your Europeian or American so I can't really recommend any patches but here is a site that has patches for U.S, Europeian, & Japanese games. It's MegaGames.com , check it out!

If your really hardcore & would like to bring the actual PSX controller to your PC instead of your keyboard, check out Titanium PS-PC USB Converter through this link. You can get it there or on Ebay and it works flawless!!! Most great if ya love the PS controller!

If ya have any more questions please ask as I am always down to help a fellow FF Fan!!! 😁

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

---"Nothings Impossible!!! It Can Be Done!!! It's Just A Damn PC!!! Show It Who's Boss Man!!!"---

Reply 3 of 4, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thank you. I was able to make FF1,2, 4-8 work quite well (I am still waiting before my copy of FF9 comes). I have european English versions of these games.
The only problem I remember just now is the readability of fonts in some games (it is readable, but fonts look like they were missing occasionaly some parts of letters etc.). I will try a few different plugins. My graphic card is GF 2 MX (old, but good enough for somebody who does not play 3D shooters).
So far I have played two Final Fantasy games (FF III on NES and FF Mystic Quest on SNES). Now I am thinking about which one to start (probably FF7 which is said to be the best).

Mirek

Reply 4 of 4, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In reply too(probably FF7 which is said to be the best).

It is definitely in my biased opinion 🙄 , the best Playstion FF game, for it's time the graphics were amazing and the story was far beyond solid! Great choice! Just remember these couple of lines though if you've never played it!

1.)Just remember it's only a story, don't be a big baby (like me 😊 ) & get all emotional at some parts! 🤣

2.) If ya beat all the Ultimate Weapons let me know!!! I've only taken one , the Emerald Weapon. All I have to say is Knights of the Round and the Triple Cast Materia (I think I spelled that right, it's been so long since I played it last... 😕)

3.)Remember to check into the side quests right when ya can because if ya pass some of em' up ya don't get to do them later! Bammer! 😢

4.)Be prepaired for sleepless nights.... 🤣

5.)Have Lots of FUN!!!!! 😁

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

---"Nothings Impossible!!! It Can Be Done!!! It's Just A Damn PC!!! Show It Who's Boss Man!!!"---