VOGONS

Dreamcast Emulation...

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Further to the CD/DVD info, there's a bunch of people working on creating patched CD drive files that do read DC discs natively. They claim to have had a degree of success and there's no real reason to think otherwise, so in the long run it's possible you want need to mess about with ISOs and the like.

Reply 21 of 25, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sweet! where could I find out more info Targaff?

---"Nothings Impossible!!! It Can Be Done!!! It's Just A Damn PC!!! Show It Who's Boss Man!!!"---

Reply 22 of 25, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GD-ROMs are 1GB CDs effectively with the data more tightly packed onto the disc which is why normal drives can't read them (they only read a tiny text file area).

There are claims around the other emulator (Icarus, see above) that it might read GD-ROMs, but also there are claims that you would need to install some firmware drivers for your CD-ROM to do so which might break it!!!

All rumours at the moment though.

Ice

Reply 23 of 25, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

waxxxz: As Virtua said, most of it is hearsay and gossip currently. I tried to find the info from when I read it, but it wasn't where I thought it was and I wouldn't have a clue where to start. There was a link to the thread in the Retrogames forum at one point, but it appears to have expired and is no longer listed there.

The firmware claims are essentially correct, however - the work I saw being discussed was modifying cd drive firmware (apparently there really aren't that many different versions around) to support it.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 24 of 25, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Modifying firmware of CD/DVD ROM to read Dreamcast 1 GB CDs seems a pretty ugly thing to do. I know that there are modified firmwares e.g. for region free DVDs, but this type of change would be far more drastic than that.
I would be very unwilling to ever try this on my own mechanic... It is very easy to make a CD/DVD ROM unusable in this way.
It is also hardware dependend thing, so after changing CD/DVD it would be necessary to look for a new firmware.

Mirek

Reply 25 of 25, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man, When Dreamcast made there system they put some thought into the whole, it's only going to work on my console and nothing else kick thats for sure. 😒

I did do research and got a lot of the same, about how unstable it would make the driver & possibilities for a burnout. From experience, burnouts suck big! Having to replace the damn CDRom is no walk in the park thats for sure! 🤣

It looks as if D.C Emu is going to be quite a task to accomplish! 😢

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

---"Nothings Impossible!!! It Can Be Done!!! It's Just A Damn PC!!! Show It Who's Boss Man!!!"---