VOGONS

Common searches

Cannot enable EMS under Win2K...

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by NStriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I posted about this a long time back on the original forums (Bravenet), but perhaps someone's found something out since then. Prepare for a longwinded explanation... 😉

I cannot, for the life of me, get EMS under Win2K. I used to just think it was something funky up with my hardware, my motherboard in particular, but that wouldn't make real sense since DOS is just emulated under Win2K. I decided later that, despite my reasoning, it had something to do with my RAID card (Promise Fasttrak 100). Trying to get EMS in true DOS mode (booted from a second hard drive) was a headache, as my RAID card's BIOS took a huge chunk of UMBs, leaving little for the page frame and TSRs.

Since then, I've done a massive overhaul of the system. The only things remaining from the old one are the floppy drive, monitor, and keyboard. The OS has been completely reinstalled several times (still Win2K) but I'm still using a RAID array (new drives and new RAID controller though). Still, no EMS under Win2K. And now the new RAID controller (Highpoint 374) takes so many darn UMBs in true DOS, I can't even allocate a page frame, let alone load anything high.

It's my current guess that Win2K is trying to emulate what the machine would be like in DOS, and there are just no UMBs free for EMS. I could be utterly wrong, of course. Either way, I've tried every iteration of the EMS command in config.nt I could think of. I've moved the base segment and alt registers to no avail. I've tried Launchpad with no further success. 🙁 Can anyone give me any hope, here, and shed some light on this?

Should it matter, I've got a P4 2.4GHz on an Abit IT7 (onboard Firewire, USB 2.0, LAN, and Highpoint RAID), 512 megs of PC3000 DDR, an Acoustic Edge sound card, a USR Modem, and a GeForce 4 4200. Lots of power, but I miss my EMS needin' DOS games! 😀

Reply 1 of 117, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm... sounds like a similar problem as this guy...
http://groups.google.com/groups?thr...Dd%26filter%3D0
http://groups.google.com/groups?thr....news.dfncis.de
http://groups.google.com/groups?thr...Dd%26filter%3D0

Well...
If you had a EPOX EP-8KHA+, the problem was apparently fixed by EPOX...
http://www.tweakers.net/meuktracker/1187

But since it's an ABIT IT7... I dunno...

We've had a guy already with a similar problem, which never got resolved:
showthr...?s=&threadid=19
showthr...?s=&threadid=45

Are you using the most up-to-date BIOS: ABIT IT7 BIOS ID 9W, BIOS compile date: 7/02/2002 (HPT 374 BIOS Version 1.21)?
http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webj...+%2F+IT7E&#Bios

Hoping the other moderators can help here...

I, of course, recommend you contact ABIT (http://www.abit.com.tw) or HighPoint (http://www.highpoint-tech.com/) tech support. Perhaps if a new BIOS comes out for the ABIT IT7 using the HPT 374 BIOS Version 2.31 (not sure if that's possible or if it will), it may fix the problem, who knows...

Reply 3 of 117, by NStriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the links, Stiletto, but all of the long ones seem to have been truncated and bring up error 404s. I suppose if I wasn't feeling kinda lazy, I could hunt down the pages you linked myself...

The EPoX link worked, though, and I see what you're talking about there. That's the exact error I get when using EMM386 to get EMS, so it may be a similar issue (though they're entirely different chipsets). I've got all my updates (I'm something of a driver and BIOS nazi), so if it's an issue with the Abit board, they haven't fixed it yet. I have a copy of QEMM 9, but it didn't seem to be having much more luck than EMM386, but I have to admit I didn't play with it much, because the memory count it does on every boot was getting annoying (it slowly counts to 256megs twice over each time).

Reply 4 of 117, by NStriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No problems on your end with the RAID, eh Snover? Dang. Well, there goes that theory. I am pretty sure it's the RAID's ROM that's eating all the UMBs in DOS, but I guess that doesn't explain Win2K.

The only constant between all of my Win2K installs has been my sound card (forgot that I kept that, too) and the CD I've been installing Win2K from. Somehow I doubt it's the sound card, and I don't think I've got a bum Win2K CD.

Sorry, I'm not gonna buy a new motherboard just to test it out, though. 😁 I'm beginning to think it's just me. EMS and me don't get along, or something.

Reply 5 of 117, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I dunno, dude. It's just S-T-R-A-N-G-E. Perhaps my embedded RAID loads through the VIA chipset and interfaces directly with the mobo, bypassing the need for extra UMB usage. That said, I don't use EMM386, I use whatever VDMSound uses to get EMS. That said, when I run mem, I've got enough memory for a 619Kb program. 😁

In case you're somehow interested:

C:\WINNT>mem /c

Conventional Memory :

Name Size in Decimal Size in Hex
------------- --------------------- -------------
MSDOS 12256 ( 12.0K) 2FE0
KBD 3280 ( 3.2K) CD0
HIMEM 1248 ( 1.2K) 4E0
COMMAND 3648 ( 3.6K) E40
FREE 112 ( 0.1K) 70
FREE 634640 (619.8K) 9AF10

Total FREE : 634752 (619.9K)

Upper Memory :

Name Size in Decimal Size in Hex
------------- --------------------- -------------
SYSTEM 180208 (176.0K) 2BFF0
MOUSE 12528 ( 12.2K) 30F0
MSCDEXNT 464 ( 0.5K) 1D0
REDIR 2672 ( 2.6K) A70
DOSX 34848 ( 34.0K) 8820
FREE 832 ( 0.8K) 340
FREE 95984 ( 93.7K) 176F0

Total FREE : 96816 ( 94.5K)

Total bytes available to programs
(Conventional+Upper) : 731568 (714.4K)
Largest executable program size : 633824 (619.0K)
Largest available upper memory block : 95984 (93.7K)

1048576 bytes total contiguous extended memory
0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
941056 bytes available XMS memory
MS-DOS resident in High Memory Area

(I did a little manicuring to keep it from stretching the site out 😀)

That said, I'm assuming you're trying to get stuff running from within the Windows 2000 command shell?

Note: running from COMMAND.COM instead of CMD.COM yields 4.1Kb less "total bytes available" and 4.2Kb less "largest executable program size". This appears to be caused by having two "COMMAND" running in conventional memory (the second is 4.1Kb). Don't ask me why "largest executable program size" is 4.2Kb less while the second COMMAND is only 4.1Kb...guess that's Microsoft Math.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 117, by NStriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I was talking about EMM386 under true DOS (which I have on a seperate hard drive).

I've got enough conventional memory under Win2K to run most stuff, and I know how to disable CD-ROM extentions and stuff to get more.

But wait a minute, there, Snover... Mem isn't reporting that you have any EMS, either. It's all XMS. Have you actually tried running an EMS game? My mem is coming up with a similar report, and all EMS games are reporting no EMS available.

Maybe I'm just trying the wrong games. Where's my Master of Magic CD? Hmm...

Reply 12 of 117, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NStriker wrote:

Well, I was talking about EMM386 under true DOS (which I have on a seperate hard drive).

If you're using DOS then I suggest UMBPCI.SYS. As far as I can tell it should be compatible with your motherboard's chipset.

It's at :

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/umbpci_e.html (Most recent release)
or
http://members.aol.com/axcel216/umb.htm (Axcel's more detailed page)

If you need EMS, then I'd follow AXCEL216's tips.

Reply 14 of 117, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

I was under the impression that this was EMS under W2K, as per the subject. :p Wrong?

If you look carefully at his quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
...was talking about EMM386 under true DOS (which I have on a seperate hard drive).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which says to me, Dual-Boot (or perhaps, access-from-DOS-floppy boot).

Reply 15 of 117, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NStriker wrote:

Thanks for all the links, Stiletto, but all of the long ones seem to have been truncated and bring up error 404s. I suppose if I wasn't feeling kinda lazy, I could hunt down the pages you linked myself...

Colin: Messageboard bug?
All the links worked when I initially posted it. Then I went back and edited something - and then they apparently all broke.
(So it seems, the board truncates long URL descriptions but keeps the long links. And then when you go and edit, it swaps the URL desc. into the link. Unnerstand?)

I'll fix the links later.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 16 of 117, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That doesn't make sense.

Testing...1...2...3...4...
http://www.longlink.nowhere/long1/link1/long2 … longenough.html

No mate, I just did several different edits and the link remained intact. Perhaps you did a copy-paste of the HTML-outputted material accidentally?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 117, by NStriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if I got confusing. Sometime I get a little long-winded and use a few too many commas. 😁

I am talking about EMS under Win2K, but was also mentioning that I was also having difficulties under actual DOS.

Yeah, it's a dual boot, but I did it in an odd way so that I could use NTFS on my C drive (Win2K) and FAT32 on my D (DOS). I literally change the boot drive in my BIOS when I want DOS.

Last edited by NStriker on 2002-08-14, 06:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 117, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NStriker wrote:

Unfortunately, my darn sound card has never worked terribly well in real DOS, but it does alright from a DOS box under Win9x (also on my D drive).

Place it in your CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\whatever\UMBPCI.SYS

If it comes back with something like:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
UMBPCI c't 11/95 - Siering/Schapers/Stiller
V3.40 - support for new Intel/VIA/ALI/SIS chipsets + P2 - Uwe Sieber 06/02
Using xxxx-xxx
Intel i845E w/AGP found
Program installed
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're probably good to go. One other note, you can use it with Windows9x, but place "LocalLoadHigh=0" under the [386Enh] group in your SYSTEM.INI file. This will prevent Windows from gobbling up most of the UMB's. EMS memory takes a little more setting up.