VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Try game first. Then try latest patch.
2. Try APCOMPAT.exe,2000/XP Compatibility Shortcut,2000/XP ACT's.
3. Reduce Acceleration. D3D/Sound
4. Try different executables. For install/running.
5. Do not use the shortcuts. If game doesn't work. Go to the game directory.
6. Affinity. Freezes/sound problems on dual-processor systems.
7. Play with game options. Disable/Enable Audio/Graphics options
8. Try different video modes. OGL/D3D/Software
9. Change desktop color. 256 color,16bit,32bit
10. Mix 'n Match files. CD ver works but floppy doesn't? Find similar files and swap,
Game looks similar to another game? Swap the files.
11. Do not install DirectX. During game install do not check the install DirectX option.
Always install DirectX Seperate.
12. Try switching to Full-Screen or Window. May fix speed issues or graphics problems.
13. Download any Codecs that the game may need.
14. Game doesn't work at all? Try emulation.
15. Look for Alternatives. Freeware version or new executable for the game.
16. Game doesn't install AT ALL? Try extracting with Winzip/Winar or Installshield

extractors.
17. Email Company and complain....but make it civilized....barely.
18. Check NTCompatible.
19. Check Company's website.
20. Check Vogon's.
21. Use an Administrator Account to Install the Program
22. Log Off All Users Except the Account That Will Install the Program
The Fast User Switching feature is new to Windows XP, and because of this, most older

programs were not designed to support this feature. If you have multiple users logged on to

the computer, log everyone off except the account that will install the program.
23. Uninstall/Reinstall the game
24. Try different installation levels. Either install ALL of the game or the minimum

possible.
25. Copy all of the files off of the CD to the HD to verify that the files are not corrupted.

You can use programs for this but this is the simplest solution.

Just thought I'd throw this out. I'm going to assign what order a user needs to go through (the #'s don't really mean anything right now) and I'm going to flesh it out and add descriptions and links...but for now does anyone have anything else to add and whadya think of the list so far?

Remeber this list is JUST for Windows games. Gonna put my DOS list up later.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

1. Try game first.

Genius! Why didn't I think of that?

Then try latest patch.

This reminds me. Would be nice if we had a patch database or a link to one, like:
http://www.patches-scrolls.de/

Unfortunately that's about the only one I can think of...Other places like games domain have let all their "old stuff" fall into a state of disrepair. I you have an older game, you might have a real hard time finding patches you need because nobody else cares about it anymore.

This is especially true for "homemade" patches, and sometimes they are even more desirable than the commercial releases.

4. Try different executables. For install/running.

I've heard that some games run fine under 2000/XP, but won't install. Apparently you need to install it under Win9x, then copy over all the files.

6. Affinity. Freezes/sound problems on dual-processor systems.

http://www.affinity-sensors.com/
Wow, you have Bio-Sensors hooked up to your computer? Cool.

9. Change desktop color. 256 color,16bit,32bit

Don't forget Compatibility mode. It has options to force 640x480 mode and 256 color displays (and only for the duration of the game).

14. Game doesn't work at all? Try emulation.

Including "other-system" emulation. Should also add "Good luck".

15. Look for Alternatives. Freeware version or new executable for the game..

Source ports, like JDOOM, remakes like "Star Control II" by "Toys for Bob".

17. Email Company and complain....but make it civilized....barely.

Don't forget to add, "fat chance".

...but for now does anyone have anything else to add and whadya think of the list so far?

Hmm...needs salt. Actually it's a good start.

All we need now is for people to actually to refer (and use) Vlad's Database. I don't see how he can keep his sanity answering the same questions over and over and over and over and...

I mean how many times have we seen "Monkey Island", Sam'N'Max, Indiana Jones, Duke Nukem 3D, and DOOM.

Much rather give these people a link to the database than type yet another long-winded description about BUILD,VESA, and how Cli2Nop is not a "magic bullet".

Reply 2 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nicht Sehr Gut, as far as your response to bullet four was concerned, you can get software to install fine on Windows 2000/XP as long as you use the coveted Application Compatibility Toolkit.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, There is no reason whatsoever to install a game in another OS and then copy the files to 2K/XP. Every install error that I have encountered have been fixed by the 2000/XP Compatibility Shortcut Layer or the Application Compatibility Toolkit.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

Yep, There is no reason whatsoever to install a game in another OS and then copy the files to 2K/XP. Every install error that I have encountered have been fixed by the 2000/XP Compatibility Shortcut Layer or the Application Compatibility Toolkit.

Was referring to comments from NT-Compatible that I'd seen.
So are you telling me that there isn't a single program out there that can't be installed under XP? That sounds like a money-making bet. Heh.