VOGONS

Common searches

Windows Glide Games List

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 84, by Unregistered

User metadata
Glidos wrote:

I think a column saying "Requires Glidos" would be helpful, otherwise people will download OpenGLide and fiddle around for a while before realising. I'm thinking we still mark Glidos games as working with OpenGLide, but just tick the "Requires Glidos" box aswell if it's a DOS program.

Great idea! I was about to recommend it myself.

... Note that "Supports Glide" MUST be a requirement, so is it necessary to have a checkbox for it? We don't want games on this list that don't support Glide.

... what about the more confusing situations, Colin? Like "DOS Game, Windows patch adds Glide support in Windows", "DOS Game, Windows patch adds Glide support in DOS".... hmm... Should we add a "Glide (DOS)" and "Glide (Windows)" field even though we'd be adding a "Requires GliDOS" column?... Should there be a comments field, like Vlad's database?

Reply 41 of 84, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

😀 😀 😀

http://www.3dgw.com/scripts/game.php3

Colin - It's PHP. Hack it, reverse-engineer, grep out the Glide games, upload to OGliDEV. Or do some sort of solution like Vlad did using Mobygames and those abandonware s.e.'s.

I'm assuming it only includes what APIs were supported with what games out-of-the-box rather than with patches/unofficial hacks, too. So it may not be totally complete/accurate. But it's a start.

[Off-Topic] eVoodoo has a relatively new support forum.
http://www.emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=61

Reading it gave us a few other targets.

I liked MacLeod's comment about WHY you might want to support miniGL/3dfx ICD/WickedGL/MesaFX:
"eVoodoo + WickedGL/MesaFX can solve i740, i810, i845 some problems with OpenGL" So he's working around OpenGL issues using his Glide-Direct3D wrapper and the Glide-using OpenGL drivers. Still, good idea for compatibility testing.

Also note the horrible lack of a frontend for OpenGlide. 🙁

Fabio, Paul - I think you guys should get together with MacLeod and compare notes. Hell, maybe eVoodoo and OpenGlide could combine to become two different forms of the same wrapper. (shades of The Player Project? http://mrpowers.com/Projects/Player/index.html). Then again, too many cooks MAY spoil the broth. eVoodoo could become DirectGlide (since Khalid Shaikh's not using the name right now...) But those are just ideas.

Reply 42 of 84, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*cry* WHY did you have to find a link like that? That's really irritating! There's no way I'll be able to extract stuff from it, BTW ... you're really over-estimating my efficacy with PHP. I suppose I could ask the guy for a flatfile of the database, but even that would be a pain in the ass to go through and sort.

I wanted the list to be REALLY simple. I suppose I could do some rewriting of the add/modify stuff to have other options like that, but it would take some work (aesthetically as well as technically). In the short-term, I could move and replace the "Glide" bit with "Needs GliDOS," but I think I need a more long-term solution. Though, as long as things are added in multiples of two, there isn't a big problem 😉

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 43 of 84, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

*cry* WHY did you have to find a link like that? That's really irritating! There's no way I'll be able to extract stuff from it, BTW ... you're really over-estimating my efficacy with PHP. I suppose I could ask the guy for a flatfile of the database, but even that would be a pain in the ass to go through and sort.

By the time it gets to our browsers, its just a HTML table; not that hard to parse to get the flat file database.

I wanted the list to be REALLY simple. I suppose I could do some rewriting of the add/modify stuff to have other options like that, but it would take some work (aesthetically as well as technically). In the short-term, I could move and replace the "Glide" bit with "Needs GliDOS," but I think I need a more long-term solution. Though, as long as things are added in multiples of two, there isn't a big problem 😉

Getting rid of "Glide" and adding "Needs Glidos" seems fine to me. Can't see we need much more, although it would be nice to be able to link to a notes page for each game - stuff like "This game runs ten times to fast unless you use Speed set"

Reply 44 of 84, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

By the time it gets to our browsers, its just a HTML table; not that hard to parse to get the flat file database.

Come to think of it, I have a nice text editor that would make it very easy to turn the html table into a CSV style table. I can do that if it would help. I could drop the non-Glide games, and do any sorting you want at the same time.

Reply 46 of 84, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't add a game. Internet Explorer (yes, I know) renders the add-a-game field as such:

Attachments

• add.png
    Filename
    add.png
    File size
    6.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 47 of 84, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorting by "OpenGlide Compatibility" caused some weird alphabetizing error. Why are Lewpys PSEmu Pro GPU plugin, Kings Quest VIII: Mask of Eternity, Grand Theft Auto 2, and Glide64 N64 GPU Plugin BEFORE 10th Planet?

Stiletto

Reply 50 of 84, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Uh, that's how it's supposed to be, friend. What exactly isn't working?

Err. That's not a cropped image he posted. It really looks like that, as opposed to the Mozilla image I've posted.

Attachments

• mozilla.gif
    Filename
    mozilla.gif
    File size
    3.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 53 of 84, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Dude. It's XHTML compliant. Any problems you are having are not my fault. Go complain to Microsoft. (As if they'd do anything about it)

I'm sure that is true, but it would be nice to support the vast number of IE users. They wont swap browsers just to access this site.

Reply 54 of 84, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well setting up Mozilla is actually easier than IE. I like the way I can unzip the main file (I always get the zipped non-installer version) and just run mozilla.exe.

In any case, maybe this is his "IQ test" before allowing you to post changes to the listing (IE:If you're not running Mozilla, you are dumb).

Reply 55 of 84, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mozilla does sound very good for web browsers, but it sounds like a nitghtmare for web content developers because it can make a web page look great although it isn't IE compliant.

I've probably got a strange view from working in the computing industry for years. Noone I work for ever wants a correct program; they want something that works.

Reply 56 of 84, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

...because it can make a web page look great although it isn't IE compliant.

Heh. Does Microsoft get to declare the standard for everything? I understand your point but flip it around and why isn't IE more "Mozilla compliant".

Noone I work for ever wants a correct program; they want something that works.

That is one interesting quote...

Reply 57 of 84, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Heh. Does Microsoft get to declare the standard for everything? I understand your point but flip it around and why isn't IE more "Mozilla compliant".

Because Microsoft are complete and utter B$%*£$S. I wish Mozilla could win the battle, but I think by fighting IE we just hurt ourselves and might make this forum elitist, which goes against the idea of trying to help people.

Having said that, I do have a lot sympathy for Colin's view; it is such a pain to create a correct program and then find it doesn't work with some idiots excuse for a browser.

Reply 58 of 84, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

... hey, it's not my fault nearly all computer labs on campus use IE. those that don't, use Netscape 4.79. Either way, I'm screwed. It's not like I can easily install Mozilla. ...mmm, maybe I could install Opera. But the installation would be gone when I rebooted, thanks to this:
http://www.deepfreezeusa.com/

And I am NOT installing Mozilla in my CSCI account, I only gots 10 MB man...

hm, maybe I'll go to the Linux lab, they have some version of Mozilla there, maybe that would work. Otherwise, I can't. Someone else will have to add all the games mentioned in this thread and others.

Stiletto