VOGONS

Common searches

Windows Glide Games List

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 60 of 84, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"non-restrictive Windows desktop protection." Uh-huh. Just like DRM is a non-restrictive Intellectual Property protection.

Get to be friends with the network admin and see if you can get him to bump up your space on the network. (That's what I did at my school, mwaaha.)

And, look, I'm sorry I'm acting like such an elitist arse, but I worked extremely hard to get EVERYTHING on that fucker XHTML1.0 compliant (it's not easy, especially with fucked up things such as the <label> tag which I've never seen before in my life but apparently is necessary for text in forms that isn't surrounded by a <td>), and as such, it's SUPPOSED to work, and SHOULD work, and there is no reason for it to NOT work, in IE. W3C validates ALL PAGES -- add, modify, list, delete, and all the other static pages that exist -- XHTML1.0 compliant, it runs properly in Mozilla (and ergo Netscape 7 (*shudder*) and, *sigh*, AOL 8 (*shudder,shudder*)).

Oh, yeah, the CSS2 is spotless, too. Not even a WARNING from Jigsaw.

Sidenote: Did you know that AOL takes out the ability to block popups for its Netscape releases? How fucked up is that shit?! That's one of the best features and they've ripped it out.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 61 of 84, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

And, look, I'm sorry I'm acting like such an elitist arse,

I wasn't really thinking you were being elitist, so much as we could accidently make this site seem elitist.

but I worked extremely hard to get EVERYTHING on that fucker XHTML1.0 compliant (it's not easy, especially with fucked up things such as the <label> tag which I've never seen before in my life but apparently is necessary for text in forms that isn't surrounded by a <td>), and as such, it's SUPPOSED to work, and SHOULD work, and there is no reason for it to NOT work, in IE. W3C validates ALL PAGES -- add, modify, list, delete, and all the other static pages that exist -- XHTML1.0 compliant, it runs properly in Mozilla (and ergo Netscape 7 (*shudder*) and, *sigh*, AOL 8 (*shudder,shudder*)).

I understand only too well. In my real work, we have this program that must run under about five different operating systems. It all worked well, and then when we got to Symbian OS, we found we couldn't have any non-const global variables (not one); that's not a bad thing if you design in an object oriented style, but when you have existing code to port, it's a killer. Then there was Palmos in which you couldn't have static initialisation of pointers. Both these OS's have next to no standard library support either. Still, these problems then become the challenge. It can be very interesting finding clean ways to cope with the bad work of others.

Going back to the games list: could I have a look at the PHP? If maybe there was a fix that would keep IE happy without breaking the XHTML compliance. If there is, you are probably about 100 times more likely to find it than I am, but I'd be interested to have a look.

There's also the removal of the Glide column and the addition of the "Requires Glidos" column.

Reply 62 of 84, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Get to be friends with the network admin and see if you can get him to bump up your space on the network. (That's what I did at my school, mwaaha.)

You don't understand. In the LOVELY Windows XP lab, it transfers any files stored in your profile across the network. And saving/installing files locally is difficult, you may not use the same PC all the time. So more space and more stored files == much LONGER booting time. In the Linux lab, we don't have that problem but I'm sure the Mozilla we're using is not beta. And it's not open much, whereas the Windows XP lab is open 14 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Glidos wrote:

Going back to the games list: could I have a look at the PHP? If maybe there was a fix that would keep IE happy without breaking the XHTML compliance. If there is, you are probably about 100 times more likely to find it than I am, but I'd be interested to have a look.

There's also the removal of the Glide column and the addition of the "Requires Glidos" column.

I would be interested in seeing this attempted.

Perhaps the PHP wizards would know how to help...
http://www.2113.ch/phplab/phplab.htm

Then again, their messageboard is frequented by lamers searching for cracks, etc. I wouldn't publish the URL to OgliDev there. But they do come highly recommended by me.

Reply 65 of 84, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Here please, kthx.

That doesn't list game engines, like Nicht's list. We should strip all engine-related info out and start a new thread.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 69 of 84, by Unregistered

User metadata

Well, I know this thread is a little past it's born on date, but in response to the gentleman who commented on FFVII for the PC, I can offer the following, as I happen to own the game:

Officially, the game supports an EXTREMEMELY limited set of accelerators.

Voodoo
3Dfx Voodoo2
3Dfx Voodoo Rush
3Dlabs Permedia2
ATI Rage Pro
Intel I740
Matrox G200

Are the only ones STILL listed as fully supported. Other than that, it requires just a 2MB Vid Card.

My personal experience helped me to formulate the following conclusions:

1.) The Software Rendering Mode Sucks beyond all logical or reasonable thought.

2.) SUPPOSEDLY, it has DirectX support, but I failed to see almost any noticeable difference or improvement over the software rendering.

3.) It supports Glide, but as you can see, only in limited amounts. The Voodoo Banshee cards are billed as not-supported.

Oh, and officially, Win2000, NT, and XP are all not supported. This actually just means they will not support you, but I have installed and run this game on an XP Pro System.

Reply 70 of 84, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

>.< Who left this thread open? 😜
Good information, but yes, put on something a bit dated. The PSX version of FFVII is FAR better. I put somewhere in VOGONS information on the ePSXe plugins you need for it to run properly. It's worth it. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 71 of 84, by Z_God

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FF VII does not support Glide.
It supports Voodoo cards through Direct3D. The reason that compatibility is so low is because it uses 8-bit palleted textures. It took a very long time for NVidia to release a driver that supports this with their cards (only Geforce and higher I believe, not RivaTNT).
FF VII works great with my Voodoo Banshee though.

The PSX version is indeed much better, especially the music if your midi hardware sucks (or do not have any midi hardware at all).

Reply 73 of 84, by Guest

User metadata

Here's a word from the peanut gallery: In my experience, until D3D support got good enough in video boards and in DirectX itself, glide always looked better and ran smoother on any game that supported both, which is probably why games used it at the time.

I loved glide =) It always just worked, no fuss, no messing with drivers. 3DFX unfortunately didn't keep up in the 3D market, but they sure did know how to make a stable driver/peice of software. Maybe it was because it was more simple, who knows. But there was never even a thought about switching drivers if your machine crashed.

Reply 76 of 84, by The_Nephilim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SOrry EF2000 v2.0 will NOT work with glidos. get a 3D FX card. do a search for it in glidos General I posted about trying to get this to work with Glidos!!

here is the post:

EF 2000 v 2.0 3dfx

Last edited by The_Nephilim on 2004-11-06, 04:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 78 of 84, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Starting to refocus again on glide in my compatibility list. So far have 1500 games on the list so I should be able to verify if the games listed in this thread have glide support or not. I'll only be doing verification of the games in the list, after that I'll work on identifying the video API's used on my list that aren't in the above list.

Hopefully it'll still be usefull, I'm wondering for how much longer the older DX D3D modes will be supported by MS particularly DX6.

So far on my list (only full games tested) DX used by games:

3 DX2
7 DX3
7 DX4
35 DX5
83 DX6
87 DX7
135 DX8
38 DX9
430 NA

The good thing is that a Glide Wrapper is only required for 10 games out of 1500, and only 80 games (mostly Windows) out of 1500 do not work. I guess we'll see when DX 10 comes out. I don't see Ddraw/D3D being phased out any time soon but it's possible that DX 10 may introduce some incompatibility that may make Glide Wrappers even more usefull for those old DX6/DX7 games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline