VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

This game runs, the sound works but it frequently crashes back to DOS. Without the update, it frequently bluescreened Windows or just crashed with no error. I'll try to get the error message.

Reply 2 of 4, by Mystiq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, it's going to be damn near impossible because this game is so crash-laden with sound effects enabled.

Windows 2000, SP2
AMD Thunderbird 1400MHz
Soundblaster Audigy 1 using Audigy 2 drivers (yes, works flawlessly)
not sure if you need the rest but:
ATI Radeon 8500

Common bluescreens are:
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (ha10kx2k.sys)
IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL (looking)

Othertimes it will go to play the intro movie, stop suddenly before any sound plays then bluescreen. Sometimes during gameplay it will crash back to DOS with an error and this is what I'm trying to get. And still more, Windows locks up completely randomly. I had no such problems with this game (jsut the occassional crash back to DOS but I'm not entirely sure this is the same crash back to DOS I got back in the day.

It's worth mentioning that my computer sometimes bluescreens on bootup with BAD_POOL_CALLER sometimes (not every day) and I have yet to find the solution to this. But no games give me this much trouble (hell, I've never bluescreened playing a Windows game).

Reply 3 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mystiq ...near impossible because this game is so crash-laden with sound effects enabled.

I'm going to presume that you were the "Unregistered" who started the thread due to the way you continued from the first post...

Windows 2000, SP2 AMD Thunderbird 1400MHz Soundblaster Audigy 1 using Audigy 2 drivers (yes, works flawlessly) not sure if you n […]
Show full quote

Windows 2000, SP2
AMD Thunderbird 1400MHz
Soundblaster Audigy 1 using Audigy 2 drivers (yes, works flawlessly)
not sure if you need the rest but:
ATI Radeon 8500

Hrmm. Interesting mix of hardware. Will have to find my MC2 CD and give this some testing. I did notice that it had 3 entries at "NT Compatible", all failures.

IIRC, the intro animation wouldn't play unless it detected an Intel processor. I tend to be suspicious about the Audigy, but that can be eliminated as a source of problems by setting audio to null (nothing, "No Sound Card", or similar). I also know that this game has VESA modes, but I think that then must be chosen (not default).

NOLFB may or may not be needed. Your card being a Radeon, it's probably not needed.

Common bluescreens are: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (ha10kx2k.sys) IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL (looking) Othertimes it will go to pl […]
Show full quote

Common bluescreens are:
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (ha10kx2k.sys)
IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL (looking)

Othertimes it will go to play the intro movie, stop suddenly before any sound plays then bluescreen.

*woof* This sounds like a lot more than a DOS game crash. I don't know of any DOS title that has been able to crash my XP. 2000 should be no different.

Windows locks up completely randomly. I had no such problems with this game (jsut the occassional crash back to DOS but I'm not entirely sure this is the same crash back to DOS I got back in the day.

Well "back in the day" you were running it on DOS or Win9x, I'm sure. You do know that there is no DOS in 2000? It's just a command prompt that is partially compatible with DOS.

It's worth mentioning that my computer sometimes bluescreens on bootup with BAD_POOL_CALLER sometimes (not every day)...

Honestly, this sounds like you have an OS problem. You might want to check with some fellow Win2000 users on this. (I'm on XP)

Reply 4 of 4, by Mystiq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have reason to believe it's a hard drive thing, the bluescreens as I've reinstalled Windows several times and changed all the hardware but the hard drive but aside from that...

The game runs just peachy if I disable digital audio and leave MIDI.

And yes I know DOS in 2000 is just a nice black box with a command prompt.

I have reason to believe it's more than my computer because as I've said, I get no such trouble from any other game, even the crash-laden Diablo 2 and Starcraft which has given me trouble when I've had motherboard troubles.

But, mind you, this game has always given me trouble when running it under Windows under 98. I used to have a dual boot with 98 about 3 years ago and much of the reason was this game (back then there were no DOS sound emulators).

Oh and NOLFB may not be needed but even with it, the game still corrupts my desktop display. 😒