VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I've been working with computers for 20 years now. In an attempt to change the icon for the .vlp file (that saves the VDMSound Launch Pad settings) I've changed the file association for this extension somehow and I can't get it working again. Isn't Windows great?

Re-installing VDMSound and the Launch Pad didn't work, manually associating the .VLP files with the VDMSRun.BAT en .PIF files didn't work either.

What do I need to associate the .VLP file with to make it clickable again so that I can use it as a shortcut to run the associated applications with VDMSound?

Frank

Reply 2 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a similar issue when I installed CFI's "ShellToys" after VDMSound & it's GUI. What made it stranger was that when I used PowerDesk (OnTrack's Explorer-tool Replacement) I was still able to use and create the shortcuts. I had presumed it had something to do with NT's "file handling" since PowerDesk was actually a Win9x tool.

IIRC, it took a full un-install of VDMSound and it's launcher, a scan of the registry make sure there were 0 references to VDMSound, and then a new install to correct it.

Reply 3 of 3, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unregistered wrote:

I've been working with computers for 20 years now. ... What do I need to associate the .VLP file with to make it clickable again so that I can use it as a shortcut to run the associated applications with VDMSound?

Frank

Ouch.

First you should not have needed to manually change the icon. Going to a .vlp file's properties and choosing "Change icon" should have done the trick. 😉

Now, since LaunchPad is a shell extension it doesn't quite follow the standard (simple) model. What i recommend you do is:
1) In the registry, in HKCR, erase the .vlp and vlpfile subtrees. Make sure they are gone. No need to unisntall or reinstall anything.
2) Open a DOS box. Go to the LaunchPad directory. Type:

regsvr32 LaunchPad.dll

It should all be fine now (no need to reboot or anything like that). The .vlp and vlpfile subtrees should be back. And don't touch them again, you shouldn't need to. 😀

V.