VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

RITTY uses an ISA (only) SoundBlaster card to decode teletype audio signals from a radio receiver. This program runs under DOS. Unfortunately, new computers like my Compaq have built-in PCI-compatible sound "cards", and RITTY's author is unwilling to r ewrite the program because of software piracy (basically he's very PO'd).

It seemed that VDMSound might be magic answer, but it doesn't work with RITTY. I have all the right DLL files and the DOS messages are as they are supposed to be.I'm running Windows XP.

Is there anythi ng I can blindly try, not knowing what causes the problem in RITTY?µ

Reply 2 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Programmers like this really need to stop being so shallow. There is always going to be piracy. Period. Even when Palladium takes over our existance people will still be circumventing it. There are three things that programmers can do. One, they can do what this guy is doing and refuse to update their software, two, they can GET OVER IT and help paying customers, or three, they can learn how to do good copy protection (a la Glidos). Seems this is a pretty niche program anyway, which is why I imagine if there was any copy protection at all it would probably not have been pirated. (Usually crackers only go for high-profile utilities.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered RITTY uses an ISA (only) SoundBlaster card to decode teletype audio signals from a radio receiver.

I think there may be an NT-Related problem. When I ran this in Virtual-PC (running Win95), it appeared like the image below. When I ran it in XP, (with or without VDMSound) it was missing all the markings/designators that appeared in Win95. Is there some way of making the program to play a sound sample without hooking it up to any other programs or hardware?

Reply 4 of 5, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep in mind that currently VDMSound does not support wave-in. So there is no point for now.
V.

Reply 5 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by vladr Keep in mind that currently VDMSound does not support wave-in.

Good point. I had kind of presumed he knew this and was just using it for listening. Then again, I'm not entirely sure what the program is doing. I got lost in the documentation pretty quickly.

Virtual PC seems to be the only way to start it up properly. Running it in Bochs gives me the same results as running it natively in XP (I don't believe there is "audio-in" support in Bochs, but it is enabled in the Control Panel).

I think that Virtual PC has "audio-in" support, but I don't see any way of getting audio into the emulator.