VOGONS

First post, by Timreid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm new to VDMsound and may have some dumb questions (how to use launchpad?) so I'll get right to it.

I'm running a P4 2gig
256MB ddr sdram
P4VMM2 motherboard with VT8751chipset
Integrated AC 97 sound
Integrated S3 Savage4 video
XP Pro SP1

I'm playing Quest for Glory I (remake) from the Anthology CD.

I have two main problems:
Digital sounds always go into endless loops, ie door closes constantly while in screen, old man still snoring in the background even though he's awake, etc...

Color always inverts at centaur's farm until some action is taken such as talk to centaur, color also occasionally inverts in other screens but not with any regularity.

any suggestions ?

btw, I have the game set for SB16 both music and effects.

Thanks,
Timreid

Reply 1 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GoSierra.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 10, by Timreid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, didn't work. 🙁 I emailed the author for suggestions. Any more here?

Thanks,
Timreid.

Reply 3 of 10, by Timreid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My email to the author came back undeliverable... I think I'd like to try and figure this out for myself😕 ? I don't know alot about programming these games but would like to learn. Any suggestions on where to start?

Timreid

Reply 4 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Timreid Integrated AC 97 sound
Integrated S3 Savage4 video
XP Pro SP1

Just so you know, integrated audio and video have a poorer record when it comes to old DOS games compatibility.

I'm playing Quest for Glory I (remake) from the Anthology CD. I have two main problems: Digital sounds always go into endless l […]
Show full quote

I'm playing Quest for Glory I (remake) from the Anthology CD.

I have two main problems:
Digital sounds always go into endless loops,...

1st, try Sierra's updated 16-bit sound driver:
http://ftp.sierra.com/patches/pc/sb16drv.exe

Note that this still might not fix your sound problems, most Sierra games are "speed-sensitive" and that's where this sound problem comes from...

Color always inverts at centaur's farm until some action is taken such as talk to centaur, color also occasionally inverts in other screens but not with any regularity.

Haven't heard of this one. Taking a wild guess, I would think it's related to limitations of your display chipset.

any suggestions ?

Well try using the quick search option at the top of the page (use keywords like "quest glory") and read up on earlier posts before making your own.

Having said that, most of that data is now in this thread.

Also, DosBox is a possibility since it only requires a 286. Just remember two things:
1) Read the README file that comes with it and...
2) DosBox success with Sierra games is almost as spotty as "native" operation.

btw, I have the game set for SB16 both music and effects.

Sometimes it helps to use the 8Bit emulation modes instead.

Reply 5 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut Also, DosBox is a possibility since it only requires a 286.

I tried the VGA "Quest for Glory" and found that it has that same, intensely annoying, "looped sound" problem. Patched driver, updated driver, patched updated driver, original driver...all either produce looping audio, cannot initialize, or produce no audio at all.

Fortunately, QFG1-VGA supports the Disney Sound Source, and DosBox supports this quite well. Choose the DSS for speech/digital audio and MIDI for music and it should run fine.

BTW, before any Sierra fans get too excited...this is NOT a universal sound fix for Sierra games in DosBox. King's Quest V's DSS does not work with v0.58 of DosBox.

Reply 6 of 10, by Timreid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, DOSbox works great with QG1 remake, was able to finish the game. I'm now playing QG2 (replaying entire series) in Dosbox, I'm set to soundblaster and the sound I get is good but I don't seem to be getting much. Is that the game or do I need to reconfigure?

Timreid

Reply 7 of 10, by Timreid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I went back and read the readme on the SB16 patch and the problem I'm having with qfg2 is what it is supposed to fix. I've got the patch in the game directory but I don't think the game is using it. Any way to find out? Think gosierra might help?

Reply 8 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There aren't many digitized sounds in QFG2. IIRC, there's the genie laughing in the intro and a few fire sounds here and there and that's about it.

Realizing that Space Quest 3 was from around the same era, I played around with some drivers and found that there are a few digitized sounds in it as well that you don't hear with the included adlib/soundblaster driver. That was a long time ago though.

Reply 9 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I tried the VGA "Quest for Glory" and found that it has that same, intensely annoying, "looped sound" problem. Patched driver, updated driver, patched updated driver, original driver...all either produce looping audio, cannot initialize, or produce no audio at all.

What drivers did you try? I seem to remember that there was a Thunderboard driver in QFG1VGA that had better compatability for SB clones - maybe that would give better results?

Reply 10 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Timreid Thanks, DOSbox works great with QG1 remake, was able to finish the game.

Ok, was that using DSS in DosBox? Want to make sure that the SB looping bug wasn't only in my DosBox...

I'm now playing QG2 (replaying entire series) in Dosbox, I'm set to soundblaster and the sound I get is good but I don't seem to be getting much. Is that the game or do I need to reconfigure?

If you're getting them at all, then it's probably working. Earlier Sierra releases didn't have a lot of continuous digital audio. That came later.

Originally posted by Timreid I went back and read the readme on the SB16 patch and the problem I'm having with qfg2 is what it is supposed to fix. Think gosierra might help?

Ok, is this running in XP? or in DosBox in XP?

If it's in DosBox, a SoundBlaster16 patch won't be of much help as DosBox doesn't emulate a SoundBlaster16 (only 8-bit audio).
If you're running it in XP (with or without VDMSound), it might work. Like I said, Sierra titles aren't consistent...they seem to act differently from game to game.

Try the original sound driver. If it doesn't work, try GoSierra on it, if that doesn't work, try an updated driver, if that doesn't work, try GoSierra on the updated driver. If all that fails, go back to DosBox and try for the most basic Digital audio you can find.

BTW, they are nowhere close to releasing it, but Tierrais in the process of creating a VGA remake of QFG2. They have finished their KQ1 and KQ2 remakes.

Originally posted by HunterZ What drivers did you try? I seem to remember that there was a Thunderboard driver in QFG1VGA that had better compatability for SB clones - maybe that would give better results?

Don't recall the Thunderboard ever working for me in DosBox, but in the case of QFG1-VGA, it's not an option anyway.