VOGONS

I'm drunk

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Just thought i'd let you know that i've come to this forum twice and twice norton has picked up two viruses from the popups.

Reply 1 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are exactly 0 pop-ups here, friend. Run Ad-aware on your computer, and consider getting a browser that doesn't suck. When it comes to virus scanners, Norton is by far the shittiest.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is way off-topic for this forum... But since you (Snover) seem to have tried various virus scanners, can you recommend a few as alternatives to Norton? Preferably ones that are free for non-commercial use. Also, specifics on why Norton sucks would be interesting to read 😉

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

/me puts the snover hat on:
Moving...

/me puts the snover hat off:

Mmm need to practice more.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Just thought i'd let you know that i've come to this forum twice and twice norton has picked up two viruses from the popups.

Unless Norton stated "I have detected a Virus in your browser's pop-up window, and that pop-up window was caused by http://www.vogons.org" I think I can safely say you have jumped to conclusions.

I also have Norton's and have never received such a warning, certainly not from Vogons.

Basically, 1 of 2 situations are happening here:

1) You've been visiting sites that have been plopping down cookies that continue to be active long after you left their site and you're incorrectly presuming that Vogons is causing them.

2) *cough*troll*cough*

Reply 5 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apparently CJB.NET also has started doing pop-ups that are infested with virii (well, not virii, but malicious JavaScript code). So, chances are that you came from ntvdm.cjb.net. I wouldn't know, I use a browser that doesn't suck which automatically blocks pop-ups.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Apparently CJB.NET also has started doing pop-ups that are infested with virii (well, not virii, but malicious JavaScript code)

Went back to the "old forum" at CJB.NET with an "unsecured" IE 6 and let numerous pop-ups appear. Still nothing. Sounds like he just needs to clean up his system and tighten up the security.