VOGONS

exeption error in NHL95

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hi,

I am very newbie to this VDMSound thing. Ive been trying to play NHL95 and couldnt get sounds or gamepad to work.

So i downloaded this VDMsound + update 2 & lounchpad and it helped a bit. Now my Gamepad is emulated as a joystick, BUT I get error when trying to get SoundBlaster work.

The startup in dos prompt, when typing DOSDRV works fine, it tells me that loading was succesfull. The NHL95 starts well, and when using VDMsound I dont get error message when calibrating joystick(which I got before). The problems start when Im trying to choose some other sound than 'no sound'.
Gravis Ultrasound, the game says that cant find, thats normal. 'No sound' works fine. MT-32 is found in the game, but no sound can be heard. When I try to choose either SoundBlaster or Adlib it throws me into Windows, gives an error sound and these messageboxes appear into screen:

When choosing the SoundBlaster from Soundmenu -> error message is this (The thread number is different every time: 3308,220,2290 etc):

-----------------------------------------------------------
An execption occured in thread 3500 (Adlib Playback).

(no description available)

Do you want to continue?

yes | no
------------------------------------------------------------

When choosing the Adlib from Soundmenu -> error message is this (The thread number is dfferent everytime as above.):

----------------------------------------------------------
An execption occured in thread 1640 (Adlib Playback).

(no description available)

Do you want to continue?

yes | no
----------------------------------------------------------

My system is:

Windows Xp pro + servicepack 1,
Logitech Wingman Cordless,
Logitech cordless desktop,
Athlon Xp1900,
Asus A7V333,
1024Mb,
Acoustic Edge

What should I use for the hockey.exe that runs the NHL95 as compability options?
So far I have been trying WIN95, WIN2000 and yes for all those display settings. Should I just let those be as they are and let the VDMSound do the emulation?
All the ini settings for VDMSound are as they are initially set.

Zan

P.S. I cant use launcher for VDMsound 'cause my windows is a bit weard. I dont get the option to right click menu, as I don't have the 'open with' -option anymore. Maybe this is reason for not working environment, a bit of confused XP?

Reply 2 of 6, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try http://listen.to/gusemu for GUS emulation.

Don't know about the error you get. Try the attached EmuAdlib.dll though, see if it fixes the problem.

Cheers,
V.

Reply 4 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*gak*
This again...
showthread.php?threadid=938

From what I've seen, a dual-boot or emulation of the console version rank high as solutions.

Reply 5 of 6, by Unregistered

User metadata

(Not Zan)

Gra. I thought I searched before posting. Oh well.

That third-party programmer... I wonder, if he's such a fan of the NHL games, why he doesn't write a compatibility fix?

*wonders* Can the ACT have an impact on DOS programs?

Reply 6 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ACT isn't really for VDM. There are a *few* VDM fixes but they are almost all for WOW and not DOS progs.

ACT is pretty much just a program with tons of shims for different API calls.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline