VOGONS

First post, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys !

I checked the different subjects to know how to make run Blood under XP.
So, I managed to have a 800x600 resolution with NOLFB.

But sound is still a problem : even if I lauch the setup.exe with VDMS, it does not "recognize" any sound support and when I try to put any sound card, the setup.exe jut crashes...

Help !:D

It's too bad there's no patch like JonoF's Duke 3D port...

"Your clones are very impressive..."
- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 1 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen But sound is still a problem : even if I lauch the setup.exe with VDMS, it does not "recognize" any sound support and when I try to put any sound card, the setup.exe jut crashes...

Try running VDMSound with MsPacEm from here
It should autoconfigure and run with VDMSound easily. Does it?

It's too bad there's no patch like JonoF's Duke 3D port...

Well, I have high hopes for the WinBlood project, but I've noticed it's gotten rather quiet lately.

Reply 2 of 12, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Try running VDMSound with MsPacEm from here
It should autoconfigure and run with VDMSound easily. Does it?
Well, I have high hopes for the WinBlood project, but I've noticed it's gotten rather quiet lately.

Yes, VDMS worked with MsPacEm. But what am I supposed to do with it now ?

As for WinBlood, it' true that the project looks exciting, but "0.13"... Well, wait and see, so...

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 3 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen Yes, VDMS worked with MsPacEm. But what am I supposed to do with it now ?

The point is that you said

even if I launch the setup.exe with VDMS, it does not "recognize" any sound support and when I try to put any sound card, the setup.exe just crashes..."

and I wanted to make sure that there wasn't a problem with your VDMSound installation first. If it played the sound effects and music from Ms.Pac-Em then it's good to go.

So there are two things to consider:
1) Are you matching up the sound settings in BLOOD with those of VDMSound? IOW, did you choose an IRQ of 7, a "low" DMA of 1, a "high" DMA setting of 5 (only if the game supports it), etc...?

2) Did you read the "Problem Children" entry for BUILD games like BLOOD? If so, you should notice that near the bottom of that post that there is a bug when VDMSound 2.04 and the GUI Launcher are used together to launch a BUILD game. You need to use the "Brute Force" fix that I described there.

As for WinBlood, it' true that the project looks exciting, but "0.13"... Well, wait and see, so...

Right, it's based on a Win32 port of "Duke Nukem 3D" so most of the game's "mechanics" are in place, but BLOOD had features that don't exist in Duke3D, so those must be "added-on", that's what will take the most time.

Reply 4 of 12, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
The point is that you said and I wanted to make sure that there wasn't a problem with your VDMSound installation first. If it p […]
Show full quote

The point is that you said and I wanted to make sure that there wasn't a problem with your VDMSound installation first. If it played the sound effects and music from Ms.Pac-Em then it's good to go.

So there are two things to consider:
1) Are you matching up the sound settings in BLOOD with those of VDMSound? IOW, did you choose an IRQ of 7, a "low" DMA of 1, a "high" DMA setting of 5 (only if the game supports it), etc...?

2) Did you read the "Problem Children" entry for BUILD games like BLOOD? If so, you should notice that near the bottom of that post that there is a bug when VDMSound 2.04 and the GUI Launcher are used together to launch a BUILD game. You need to use the "Brute Force" fix that I described there.
Right, it's based on a Win32 port of "Duke Nukem 3D" so most of the game's "mechanics" are in place, but BLOOD had features that don't exist in Duke3D, so those must be "added-on", that's what will take the most time.

Yes, I put the right settings and then it crashed.

Now, I used the "Brute Force" fix, but I have a horrible sound, like with "pauses" and very low, in the sound effects... Howerver, music seems to be ok.

Apparently, the WinBlood project began very recently. I hope it won't take too long to have a "complete" release !

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 5 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen Yes, I put the right settings and then it crashed.

Don't test the sound within the SETUP program. Just make sure you give it the correct settings.

Now, I used the "Brute Force" fix, but I have a horrible sound, like with "pauses" and very low, in the sound effects...

Audio performance is not even close to that of DOS/Win9x. You have to scale back the number of voices and the quality settings to near the lowest levels. Do a Quick Search on BLOOD and you'll find that nobody gets gets high-quality audio with XP. It has to do with the way BUILD processes audio. Short of a "source port" or full-blown PC emulation, there is no fix for this. At least it doesn't have the reverb-bug problem.

music seems to be ok.

MIDI is processed differently so it doesn't have the PopF problem that Digital audio has. Make sure to leave your music set to MIDI, if you change it to SoundBlaster, performance will get even worse.

Apparently, the WinBlood project began very recently. I hope it won't take too long to have a "complete" release !

It stands a better chance than Infogrames releasing the source code.

Reply 6 of 12, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, even by decreasing sound quality to the lowest level, sound is a little better but it's still horrible.
Moreover, the game runs without sound, but crashes at the first screen with sound...

Hum, I wonder if I'm not going to wait for a *final* WinBlood to play again to Blood...

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 7 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen Well, even by decreasing sound quality to the lowest level, sound is a little better but it's still horrible.

Like I said before, it's one of the reasons I set up a dual-boot system with Win98.

Moreover, the game runs without sound, but crashes at the first screen with sound...

Ok, you lost me there... How can it play with terrible sound if it crashes at the first screen with sound?

Hum, I wonder if I'm not going to wait for a *final* WinBlood to play again to Blood...

It will probably take some time due to the small number of people working on it.

QBLOOD/Transfusion took ages and appears finished, but it has two disadvantages: #1) Presently it's only multiplayer #2) it's basically Quake with BLOOD textures and sound effects.

Besides the single-player remake will take ages presuming they complete it. Trying to make some of these 2.5D games into "true 3D" adds complexities to converting the Quake2 engine to a BLOOD-clone.

Once the WinBlood "mechanics" are worked out, all they need to do is port over the encrypted data files to something WinBlood can use and they're basically done.

Reply 8 of 12, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Like I said before, it's one of the reasons I set up a dual-boot system with Win98.

Hum... I should do the same.

Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Ok, you lost me there... How can it play with terrible sound if it crashes at the first screen with sound?

Oops !
I hear terrible sound by testing it in the setup executable. But when I launch the game with sound, it crashes at the first screen, while it runs ok if I lauch Blood with no sound.

Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
It will probably take some time due to the small number of people working on it. […]
Show full quote

It will probably take some time due to the small number of people working on it.

QBLOOD/Transfusion took ages and appears finished, but it has two disadvantages: #1) Presently it's only multiplayer #2) it's basically Quake with BLOOD textures and sound effects.

Besides the single-player remake will take ages presuming they complete it. Trying to make some of these 2.5D games into "true 3D" adds complexities to converting the Quake2 engine to a BLOOD-clone.

Once the WinBlood "mechanics" are worked out, all they need to do is port over the encrypted data files to something WinBlood can use and they're basically done.

You know what ?
The Win-Blood crew should seek for partners in Jonof's or in the Doomsday guys... 😉

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 9 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen Hum... I should do the same.

Easy if you install Win9x 1st, major pain if you don't...
I've just about finished a guide on how to install 98 after XP. Still trying to work out a few minor issues.

I hear terrible sound by testing it in the setup executable. But when I launch the game with sound, it crashes at the first screen, while it runs ok if I lauch Blood with no sound.

By chance, did you forget to apply the "Brute Force" fix for the BLOOD VLP shortcut? ...as that shouldn't be happening.

The Win-Blood crew should seek for partners in Jonof's or in the Doomsday guys...

That's an idea, but they're already in progress using the RancidMeat Duke port as a base. Besides, the changes they have to implement things like Voxels, etc...would probably break JonoF's interface anyway.

Give them time...and hope they don't give up.

Reply 10 of 12, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for being so long to answer but the dvd drive crashed on my computer...

Anyway...

1. About the dual boot XP/98, Win XP was already installed on my computer when I bought it. And a friend told me the same as you, that it's especially difficult to creature a dual boot in that case...

2. I did apply the "Brutal Force" fix and I have still have the terrible sound.

3. Why changes for Blood would break Jonof's interface ???

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 11 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen 1. About the dual boot XP/98, Win XP was already installed on my computer when I bought it. And a friend told me the same as you, that it's especially difficult to creature a dual boot in that case...

It is. I still consider it worth it since there are still way too many titles that just won't work properly with XP.

2. I did apply the "Brutal Force" fix and I have still have the terrible sound.

Never said it would sound good. In fact I've consistently advocated a dual-boot setup as the best option for BUILD games, and that still stands. You might try applying Cli2Nop on the game's executable as suggested by Matt Bovett. Make a backup copy of the EXE before you try hacking it. Different people get different results.

Otherwise, there's not much else you can do but lower the number of voices and quality settings.

3. Why changes for Blood would break Jonof's interface ???

Because JonoF's interface is for Duke3D. To make the Duke3D engine run BLOOD's maps means major changes to the Duke3D "engine". Odds are, that would break the interface.