VOGONS

First post, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hi all,
recently (around the release of the 2.1 beta) I could not make the Ultima Underworlds to work correctly. Both Uinstall.exe and Uw(2).exe refused to work without crashing.
After many hours of fruitless testing I found out that the whole problem was that my PATH variable had gotten too long...
I don't remember the exact length, but feel free to try out yourself.

I did not post that as a reply to any of the Underworld threads as at first glance no one had run into this problem/solution.

Any idea where to record this finding for later use?

[Edit] Oh, the "with or without" in the topic means that the problem is not actually VDMS related but I found it while using VDMS...

Reply 1 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Dominus After many hours of fruitless testing I found out that the whole problem was that my PATH variable had gotten too long...

Odd. I came across this multiple times in Win9x, but not XP.

Reply 3 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Dominus first time for me ever.

I should clarify that I have come across the error, but not from running Ultima VIII. The primary culprit seemed to a lot of the early Win9x titles that required pathways be set up for individual programs. You combine that factor with Windows default to install programs in "C:\Program Files\", and a total of 255 characters available for all pathways...