VOGONS

First post, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey folks, I cant seem to get VDMSound to run MC2 without it giving me a blackscreen on startup. You cant "alt-tab" or use winblows shortcut keys on the blackscreen either so it requires a reboot. The game runs fine when I dont use VDMSound (minus the sound). Are there any particular settings I should change in VDMSound for it to work properly? Or maybe a previous version? I'm using the latest version of VDMSound 2.1.0 and running Windows XP. Cheers!

System specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Asus A7V333-X
512mb ram

Reply 2 of 7, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE: I managed to get Magic Carpet 2 running but only with music. It seems that it doesnt like the Soundblaster cards avaliable with VDMSound. For it to run I selected Roland instead. I tried all the different sound blaster options including changing the IRQ but no luck. Although Soundblaster 16 will drop you back to the desktop instead of freezing your computer all together. Also I noticed the mouse cursor doesnt move when you run MC2 with VDMSound. Another problem to solve if I manage to get the sound working. DOH!

Reply 3 of 7, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm, still up shit creak without a paddle... I would appreciate any feedback someone may have to get Magic Carpet 2 working with VDMSound. I tried using SoundFX 2000 (another soundcard emulator) and it worked about twice before the black screens on start-up returned.. It probably has a logical answer but it's seems pretty damn illogical to me 😜

PS - I would recommend VDMSound over SoundFX 2000 anyday 😀

Reply 4 of 7, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I have made some progress. I have managed to get Magic Carpet 2 running in VDMSound with music and no sound. The hangs were occuring because of a conflict between "autoexec.nt" and "config.nt". So I went into the application properties and removed the link to them. But, with one problem solved there is quite often another that pops up. Now when I load Magic Carpet 2 it says there is not enough memory to play the sounds. That seems kind of strange considering I have given 64megs of XMS and 64megs of EMS in the VDMSound configuration file. EMS emulation seems to be fine because it works with a lot of other games that require it. If anyone knows a work around for this please let me know.

Here are the instructions for those other folks out there who are having difficulties:

1. Right Click the main executable file "netherw.exe" and click properties.

2. Click the "Program" tab then the "Advanced" button

3. Delete both the "Config" and "Autoexec" lines and press "OK".

That sound take care of the black screen at start up.

Reply 5 of 7, by FluffleS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mr_zen256, i've been trying to get MC2 to work with VDMSound 2.

My problems are very hard to isolate. I have managed to get both midi and blaster sound to work, both with and without VDMSound.

My system:
Windows XP
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
ECS K7S6A [SiS745]
Philips PCI Soundcard
1024MB DDR/333 memory @ 133MHz (DDR/266)
GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB

What happened several times is that using VDMSound after I started MC2 was using up all my memory (2000MB including swap), Windows XP gave a warning "Virtual Memory too low". When i closed the DOSbox the memory shrank till 119MB. 😉

I think this is a bug of VDMSound, as i can't see how a DOS program could use 2GB of memory.

The midi works with VDMsound, but the digital sound doesn't. Well, only one out of 40 times, quite random to me, without changing the VDMS-configuration on the .exe. When i enable digital sounds (Soundblaster classic, SB Pro or SB 16/AWE) i get a message on top saying "Error: not enough memory for sounds". MC2 continues but without digital sound (only midi).

I may point out that MC2 doesn't seem to use EMS memory, only XMS. MC2 requires 16MB of XMS memory for high resolution mode, and 8MB for low resolution. But maybe digital sound requires some. But 32MB / 64MB really really ought to be enough.

I don't know where the problem lies. Too bad, this game is really cool. BTW, i have it running now without VDMSound, but the digital sound is quite choppy (skips parts). Well at least it works, but i've had it working perfectly with VDMSound once, so it really should be possible. I'll analyse the log.

Reply 7 of 7, by FluffleS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why robertmo? Or were you talking to zed, cause this topic is rather old.

While MC2 is DOS, VDMSound is a windows program. If it has problems/bugs it could crash XP.