VOGONS

First post, by beerslayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just installed VDMSound 2.0.4 and it seems to work fine, except that the DOS game Prince of Persia hangs at the end of the first level, as the gate to level 2 is opening and the sound of grating stone is playing. It hangs at the same place every time. Up to that point, sounds and music work great.

Has anyone out there experienced this same problem with this or any other game? Any ideas how I might be able to work around it?

(Note: I cannot seem to access the interactive compatibility list, but the alpha lists have no listing for PoP...)

Thanks in advance...

When correctly viewed, everything is lewd. -- Tom Lehrer

Reply 3 of 8, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried it on DosBox and it runs as perfect as if it were on the real thing..

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 4 of 8, by beerslayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, downloading DOSBox now...

However, I would still like to figure out why this hang occurs, in case I run into the same problem with some other game. I don't really understand how to configure VDMSound, so any suggestions for things to try would be extremely welcome.

Thanks in advance...

When correctly viewed, everything is lewd. -- Tom Lehrer

Reply 5 of 8, by rgriff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the same result with VDMSound -- it didn't like that grating sound. I then used DOSBox 0.61 and it works great. I usually try games with VDMSound first, then I go with DOSBox if I run into trouble. Rather than spending a lot of unnecessary time trying to tweak VDMSound to work with a game, I opt to go with what works.

Reply 6 of 8, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nothing personal, but I see dosbox as a much better alternative for old dos games than vdmsound or anyother emulators that might show up in the future... So far all games tested by me worked damn perfect... PoP 1 and 2 are also included...

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John