VOGONS

Return to Zork

Topic actions

First post, by OI812

User metadata

Hi all, hopefully all of the great minds here can help me with my problem. I've tried searching for help - in forums and with google - to fix my Return to Zork problems but with no luck. So here it goes:
1. No Sound - When I start the game, it says No Sound Driver Resident (I do get music though)
1.a. Right before the game starts I see it say something about LOADHIGH, but it goes to fullscreen so fast I can't read what the whole message is, hope that helps somehow.
1.b. When I exit the game it says Sound Driver isn't in memory.
2. Animations go at 1000mph
3. No music at Fool's and Hero's Memorial, though I remember that from when I played it back in '93
Now, I've tried many differnt combinations when running Install.exe and it's always the same; music, no sound, and super-fast animations. And I did try Inferno's RTZ on XP guide to the letter! No difference, it's got to be with my sound card me thinks. I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2. My comp is a Dell XPS 3.0ghz, 1024 ram, Radeon 9800pro (not that the video card affects it) but anyways, can someone help, or point me in the direction of someone or something that will explain how to get this working correctly? Thanks a bunch.

Josh

Reply 1 of 15, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How are you installing and running the game?

As far as #3 is concerned, I know that much of the music was redbook (if your install supports it, otherwise it falls back to MIDI in most cases)... SAPUCDEX should solve this.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 15, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In 2.1.0 there is no option to run without the Launchpad (it's integrated) unless you go into a DOS shell and type "dosdrv".

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 15, by OI812

User metadata

I have 2.0.4 it says that's the newest release on the website? So there's a new one? 2.1.0?

Reply 5 of 15, by Guest

User metadata

HA! I just found it, duh! right there in front of my face, ok I'll try that and let you know what happens.

Reply 6 of 15, by OI812

User metadata

OK, so I just install 2.1.0 and there's no difference. I still have the No Sound Driver Resident appear as the game starts and when I exit the game it says Sound Driver Isn't In Memory. And the animations still go really fast.

Reply 7 of 15, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't say there was going to be a difference. I was just commenting on the fact that there is no longer that option.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 15, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game works for me with vdmsound.
But i had no sound (only music) in dosbox.
rtz.bat looks like this:
@echo off
C:
cd \
LOADHIGH DRIVERS\SBLASTER
MADE RTZ -M:DRIVERS\ADLIB -O -X
DRIVERS\SBLASTER u
As dosbox does not understand "loadhigh" command, I have deleted that parameter and the game works fine in dosbox now.

The line without "loadhigh" should look like this:
DRIVERS\SBLASTER

Reply 9 of 15, by OI812

User metadata

So that .bat you posted doesn't work for me, BUT when I took the word LOADHIGH out, it did work in dosbox, kinda. The Tele-Orb and many other videos don't play, a little text shows up saying it can't open file yadayadayada.pmv but the sound effects worked! Dosbox is really slow though and the music sounded crackely - worse than VDMS - so I wish I could just get VDMS to work. I just don't understand why it would say No Sound Driver Resident when I start the game. Here's what my .bat file looks like:
@echo off
C:
cd \RTZ-CD
DRIVERS\SBLASTER

DIR D: > nul
MADECD RTZCD -O -X -L -M:DRIVERS\ADLIB -P:D:\ -F
DRIVERS\SBLASTER u

Reply 10 of 15, by OI812

User metadata

I finally got it working well in Dosbox. It's amazing what reading the readme.txt can do! Thanks for the help anyways.

Reply 11 of 15, by K

User metadata

i can't seem to get the dosbox to detect my cdrom drive. everything's working fine 'cept when it comes to the movie sequences. wat's the command line that u guys normally use?

below is wat i typed in:
dosbox c:\rtz\rtz.bat -t cdrom

i have a feeling i'm missing out some stuff..

Reply 12 of 15, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use the following:
mount c c:\
mount d d:\ - t cdrom

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 13 of 15, by K

User metadata

i still can't get it to work...
wat is the full syntax line that u type in?

i've tried dosbox c:\rtz-cd\rtz.bat mount e e:\ -t cdrom
still doesn't work...

Reply 14 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try
dosbox c:\rtz-cd\rtz.bat -c "mount e e:\ -t cdrom"

It's in the readme (the -c part)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 15 of 15, by K

User metadata

it's kinda lagging, more so during the transition cut-scenes..otherwise, i've got it working!! thanx a huge bunch guys...