VOGONS

First post, by Masamune

User metadata

I'm just wondering.. since I yesterday installed Winxp on a unused disk I had.
In Win2k I could run the game smooth in 1024x768 with sound, but of course the game would crash within 4 minutes.. usually just around 30sec.
In Winxp, the game really laggs in 320x240, even without any sound. Seems like the game speeds up and down.. from slow motion to almost normal speed.

I'm gonna install Winxp again on one of my fast disks later today, since the disk I chose were an old 13gb ata66 hd. I assume some of the speed problems is because of that, since Winxp ran much slower in normal use than I have ever experienced on my machine.

But, I'm still wondering how a disk could impact performance that much.. So I'm want to know if it will be slower anyway?

Specs:
Xp-m @ 2,5ghz
Abit nf7-s v2.0
1024mb corsair ram
128mb 9800pro

Reply 1 of 3, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have XP Pro, and It runs ok at 320x240 with low enough quality sound enabled. It's not as smooth as I remember it from the dos/win98 days. Using a higher resolution kills the performance for me, though I can probably edge the sound quality up more without it lagging too much.

I can't imagine the speed of the hard drive effecting the performance of the game..but I could be wrong.

Oh yeah, did you sign the petition for a Blood source code release? It's linked to in my signature. It'd be greatly appreciated if you did 😀

Reply 2 of 3, by Masamune

User metadata
sirlemonhead wrote:

I have XP Pro, and It runs ok at 320x240 with low enough quality sound enabled. It's not as smooth as I remember it from the dos/win98 days. Using a higher resolution kills the performance for me, though I can probably edge the sound quality up more without it lagging too much.

I can't imagine the speed of the hard drive effecting the performance of the game..but I could be wrong.

Oh yeah, did you sign the petition for a Blood source code release? It's linked to in my signature. It'd be greatly appreciated if you did 😀

I sure did, also tried forcing a lot of my friends/fellow idlers to signing, and posted a thread about it on an ATI forum. Don't know how many actually did.

Regarding my speed problem, with my 120gb instead, windows ran at normal speed, but Blood seemed almost the same. But I found out that winxp didn't like the "enable basic vesa support" in the vdm shortcut. In Win2k it seemed to improve performance, but not in xp.

So now it runs acceptable in 800x600 with sound at max settings, except mixing rate at 22 khz, since 44khz caused a disturbance in sound quality.
It's a little slower than Win2k, but that's expected from a slower OS.. 😉

Now I have another not so serious problem, I can't get more than 60hz. My force through control panel works in everything else.. but just not Blood.

EDIT: I noticed the amount of signatures had risen from 57 (when I signed some days ago) to 87. So it seems I may have influenced a number of them afterall.. 😁

Reply 3 of 3, by Masamune

User metadata

Can't seem to find a fix for my refresh rate problem.
Although I read about Radedit being able to force 85hz.. How exactly does this work? I tried loading my current gigacube XT bios, but I just got the message "this is not a valid ATI bios".