VOGONS

First post, by ViLe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Few weeks ago i got an old pentium 2 350 mhz 128 ram computer and i installed windows XP in it. i installed VDMsound on it and found out that launchpad doesnt work. On 2.0.4 version i can play games with good sounds but when i try 2.1.0 or VDMsound launchpad for vdmsound 2.0.4 every game crashes with a this kind of a error:
picture from it

What can i do?

Reply 2 of 14, by ViLe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well thanks for the link but i'd like to know why games work on 2.0.4 but not on lauchpad/2.1.0!

Sorry if thats told in that thread but my mother tongue is finnish, if that's told in there could someone pinpoint that for me, i would be very happy 😀

Reply 3 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Deard god, Windows XP on a P2?! With 128MB RAM?! Do you enjoy having things run like total shit? Reload that thing and put an older Linux distro or Windows 98SE on it.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 14, by ViLe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Somehow i knew this response 😁 but, i have windows 98 in it and Xp, too. XP is there because i and my bro wanted a computer what is suitable for net-surfing (and playing old great dos games) while my little sisters play somethin like sims 2 (CANT STAND IT, IT SUCCCKKKKSSS!) and they play it a lot. But, when we first installed 98 we found out that the monitor we have in the computer couldnt be set to 75 herz on 1024x768 so it flickered a lot on 60 hz. we installed XP and in it we can put 75 hz on 1024x768 so thats the reason (Btw XP starts much more faster than 98, dunno why and it works incredibly great even with so slow comp.). but so on, there is a sound blaster 128 on that computer and its midi sounds suck in dos-games, especially on Lamborghini American Challenge and i wanted to play it on vdmsound and now i can play it but its kinda slow, and i like to play with options 😉

Sorry for my english.

Reply 6 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ViLe wrote:

Somehow i knew this response 😁 but, i have windows 98 in it and Xp, too. XP is there because i and my bro wanted a computer what is suitable for net-surfing (and playing old great dos games) while my little sisters play somethin like sims 2 (CANT STAND IT, IT SUCCCKKKKSSS!) and they play it a lot. But, when we first installed 98 we found out that the monitor we have in the computer couldnt be set to 75 herz on 1024x768 so it flickered a lot on 60 hz. we installed XP and in it we can put 75 hz on 1024x768 so thats the reason (Btw XP starts much more faster than 98, dunno why and it works incredibly great even with so slow comp.). but so on, there is a sound blaster 128 on that computer and its midi sounds suck in dos-games, especially on Lamborghini American Challenge and i wanted to play it on vdmsound and now i can play it but its kinda slow, and i like to play with options 😉

Sorry for my english.

There's no way in hell W98 could startup slower than XP. Your W98 installation must be utterly cluttered/hogged. I don't understand it. W98 is a pretty lame excuse for an Operating System, but it needs A LOT LESS resources than XP.

As for the 1024x768x75Hz thingie, blame your W98 drivers (or monitor type is set incorrectly - Try selecting Plug&Play monitor). They probably suxx big time. Did you upgrade them?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, M$ did a lot of work to decrease boot times in XP. Win98 boots incredibly slow, especially on older systems (5 minutes on my mom's highly tuned install on a PII-450 with 128MB of PC100 RAM)

Reply 8 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ViLe: No, I'm sorry, you fail at computers. Please sell your computer and buy a WebTV. No. I'm serious. You installed XP because the monitor wouldn't display above 60Hz? Did you even bother to check that the monitor drivers weren't loaded as "Default Monitor" (which limits to 60Hz) before coming up with such an assinine solution?? Honestly, end-users drive me fucking insane with their broken logic. If there was lots of static on your TV and you were using an antenna, would you go and buy a new one without trying to adjust the one you'd got already?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 14, by ViLe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aww snower, shut up. I could swear that i know more from computers than you. I have builded my computer and builded a computer for 2 of my friends, my uncle and my godmother and i have played with computers no w 8 years, i'm my class's most nerdy guy. The problem is that Windows 98 does not want to let me put 75 hz on WITH ANY DRIVERS I TRY AND I CANT FIND DRIVERS FOR THIS MONITOR CUZ ITS PROBABLY 10 YEARS OLD!!!!! Even when i put from adapter settings the "optimum" setting it wont work. Setting the monitor to plug and play does not help anything, and i believe that it is not a plug and play monitor. When i put 640x480 on 98 it works on 75hz. But, on XP it DOES NOT LET ME INSTALL ANY DRIVERS and i cant install any drivers that could tell to windows what refresh rates to use at the resolutions so i can put on 200 hz to monitor but i swear it should broke down. So STFU about this monitor shit , i have tryed everything, i know. And back to my problem. It was that on sound blaster 128 midis suck in old games but i'd like to play those and on my other computer those work with vdmsound and i want it on this computer (DONT SAY PLAY THOSE IN THAT OTHER COMPUTER 😠 ) .

I could also try the VDMsound alpha for 98, if u can give me a link, thanks, because by searching the forum i didnt find any working links.

Sorry if this isnt very clear 😀

Reply 10 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've fixed over 3000 computers in the last 2 years and have run this site for over 3. I've been working on computers for the last 13 years of my life. I think I win-- but this isn't a pissing contest. If the monitor is that old, drivers would already be built into Windows, you just need to look for them. If it's 10 years old, it may not support Plug 'n' Play, and so you might need to manually choose the monitor drivers so that the computer is not using the "Default Monitor" driver which provides only very basic support. The only way a monitor is stuck at 60Hz in one OS and not in the other is if the OS can't figure out the monitor's supported rates and doesn't want to destroy it by allowing refresh rates that are too high.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can either alter the .INF for the monitor to get the refresh rate that you need or use a 3rd party program to modify the refresh rate.

Don't know what kind of video card you have and the non-specifc video card optimization utilities I used a long time ago I can't remember the names for....but if your playing Sims 2 on a 350mhz computer then your probably using an PCI Nvidia card so if you have the Dets installed, then you should be able to specify a custom refresh rate....and if you are using an NVIDIA card then you SHOULD at least be using the drivers that came on the CD and if your not then I don't know how in the hell your playing the Sims 2. **COUGH** BULLLSHIT **COUGH**

And XP on a 350? Wow. Just....WOW. I've got XP installed on my Parent's K63-400 and every time I use it I feel like bashing my head into the monitor. I even tried Sims 2 on it for my sister and playing it was like watching paint dry....except not as fun.

Every couple of months I have to restore the image I made of this POS to squeeze some more speed out of it since it seems to slow down over time (Alot slower than Windows 98 thank god).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just tell Windows' broken refresh rate support to go f*ck itself with refresh rates and use utilities like PowerStrip (http://www.entechtaiwan.com/) to force it to do what I want.

I don't have to do that on my current monitor because I made a custom INF file by hand (the original manufacturer/vendor, Cornerstone, seems to no longer exist, and I guess my model of monitor is too rare to have INF drivers on the 'net).

Reply 13 of 14, by ViLe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Snower, u win and i lost okay.

My sisters play sims 2 on my newer computer, not on this 350 p2. And again, in Xp when theres no driver installed and you cant install any drivers i can set the refresh rate to 75 and it works, dunno why. In 98 it installs this plug and play monitor or something other driver and it doesnt work. Powerstrip didnt work because it didnt recognize anything kind of monitor and when i tried the "do your own monitor driver" thing or somethinglikethat and i put on 75 hz the monitor looked like changin the resolution (going black and on again with new refresh rate) but when it came back on there was that 60 again, no any help from that program.

No on seems to want to help me with my VDMsound problem 🤣

Reply 14 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't need to tell powerstrip to make a driver - you tell powerstrip itself to change and lock the refresh rate. It talks directly to your video card, bypassing Windows completely.