VOGONS

Svga?

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Does VDMS work with games that use SVGA?
Every game I've tried with SVGA has failed to start at all or has run very slowly. Is there some certain configuration setting that would make it work?

Reply 1 of 38, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VDMSound is a program designed for sound compatibility, not video compatibility. In any case, make sure you've got "Enable basic VESA support" enabled in the Launchpad, and try using SPEEDSET.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 38, by Unregistered

User metadata

Unfortunately, it didn't work any better. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Reply 3 of 38, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What game, exactly, are you trying to run?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 38, by Unregistered

User metadata

This most recent testing I did with System Shock CD. It was very slow and Speedset didn't help at all.
Other games I've tried before include Tie Fighter CD, Crusader and few others I can't remember now, with similar success.
Of course I can always use lower resolution on some games if it's an option, but it would be nice to play with SVGA.

Reply 5 of 38, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, think your confusing SVGA with VESA and some other things:

System Shock CD - Gonna have to go back and look but I could have swore that SS didn't have VESA...I always played it Lores.
Tie Fighter CD- What's the issue here? Are you sure that your ver supports Hires?
Crusader - Doesn't work at all under NT.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 38, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember that I got my copy of SS (diskette) to work once on my old 9x box, but that the video was so bad I couldn't bear to play it after the pure genious of SS2.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 38, by Unregistered

User metadata

Yes, I'm probably confusing things here. I always thought SVGA meant higher resolutions, 640x480 and such.

System Shock CD has an option to set the resolution up to 640x480.

Tie Fighter CD, I think it didn't work at all when I tried it, assumed it was because of the higher resolution since it was similar problem to other hires games I tried.

Reply 8 of 38, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*cry* Someone send me an ISO of SSCD!! 😁

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 38, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

Hmmm, think your confusing SVGA with VESA and some other things:

VESA and SVGA are lot like using AFFECT or EFFECT in English, almost the same, yet different.
Layman's terms: VESA is the specification that lists "legitimate" SVGA screens. You can have a SVGA screen that doesn't conform to VESA standards. But if you have a VESA screen, it's always SVGA.

System Shock CD - Gonna have to go back and look but I could have swore that SS didn't have VESA...I always played it Lores.

The 1st release was lo-res only. The CD-release added the hi-res option.

Reply 10 of 38, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

*cry* Someone send me an ISO of SSCD!! 😁

*cough*underdogs*cough*

Reply 11 of 38, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

VESA and SVGA are lot like using AFFECT or EFFECT in English, almost the same, yet different.
Layman's terms: VESA is the specification that lists "legitimate" SVGA screens. You can have a SVGA screen that doesn't conform to VESA standards. But if you have a VESA screen, it's always SVGA.

The 1st release was lo-res only. The CD-release added the hi-res option.

I thought VESA was more of the CRTC (video-card) standard than an actual screen standard. 😀 So I'd say SVGA defines a certain range of resolutions (hard-coded), whereas VESA defines a more or less generic way of specifying resolution, colour depth, refresh rate, video memory layout, etc. and actually query the video card if it supports these modes (though Nicht may also be right, because I do not know if VESA also covers the monitor side, e.g. newer monitors that can be queried, I think, about supported refresh rates).

V.

Reply 12 of 38, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vladr wrote:

I thought VESA was more of the CRTC (video-card) standard than an actual screen standard. 😀 So I'd say SVGA defines a certain range of resolutions (hard-coded), whereas VESA defines a more or less generic way of specifying resolution, colour depth,...

I just _knew_ somebody was going to do that 😜
That's why I said "Layman's Terms". I knew I wasn't going to remember the _exact_ definitions, so I was just trying to word it so the average computer user might have a chance at understanding the basic concepts and move on.

If we were to really get into it...I don't think _anyone_ has a true/full understanding of the terms, as I have seen them used interchangeably in computer documentation over the years.

For the casual user, I think we should just say they're the same thing. Trying to explain how they're not the same just similiar just confuses people more.

Reply 13 of 38, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VESA is the display mode/standard. SVGA is the actual high-resolution. Any questions?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 14 of 38, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

VESA is the display mode/standard. SVGA is the actual high-resolution. Any questions?

Well that's kind of what I was saying, but I'm all-too-aware of the way the definitions "bleed" a bit beyond their boundaries.

I wouldn't invite questions on it though... IIRC, Some manufacturers listed some display modes as VESA for their early SVGA cards when the actual video mode was SVGA, but not technically VESA. This helped spread confusion because the only way a standard can work is if everyone agrees to it and they don't distort the definition. IOW, yeah, there are still questions about SVGA/VESA; it's just that most aren't worth the time to ask anymore (IE: What's Hi-Color?).

Reply 15 of 38, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I just _knew_ somebody was going to do that 😜

Sorry, sorry, didn't mean to be an a$$ about it. 😁
V.

Reply 16 of 38, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vladr wrote:

Sorry, sorry, didn't mean to be an a$$ about it. 😁

No, it's fine. I just didn't want to see the discussion spread out of control like a brushfire in the summer. Besides, you're the programming guy. Were it not for people like you we wouldn't have much to discuss here.

Reply 17 of 38, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Well that's kind of what I was saying, but I'm all-too-aware of the way the definitions "bleed" a bit beyond their boundaries.

Have you guys checked out labs.google.com recently?
http://labs.google.com/glossary?q=VESA
http://labs.google.com/glossary?q=SVGA

Find your definitions quickly and easily!

Stiletto

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 18 of 38, by Unregistered

User metadata
Stiletto wrote:
Have you guys checked out labs.google.com recently? http://labs.google.com/glossary?q=VESA http://labs.google.com/glossary?q=SVG […]
Show full quote

Have you guys checked out labs.google.com recently?
http://labs.google.com/glossary?q=VESA
http://labs.google.com/glossary?q=SVGA

Find your definitions quickly and easily!

Thanks for the info Stiletto, but a quick reading of the output for VESA kinda makes my point about the "bleeding definition".

Nicht Sehr Gut
(Apparently I posted this while I wasn't logged in ?!)

Reply 19 of 38, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Besides, you're the programming guy. Were it not for people like you we wouldn't have much to discuss here.

Yeah, without him there'd be no bugs to bitch about 😉

Seriously, though. Are there any cards that support VESA but not SVGA and vice-versa?

Yes, it’s my fault.