VOGONS

First post, by derelict

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get Realms of the Haunting working with VDMSOUND. I'm using the current beta version of vdmsound which is distributed in this group. When I try to launch REALMS.BAT via launchpad, it fails with:
Error: Unable to locate ICONS.ALL on CD-Disk1

I've added the following line to VDMSound properties/Dos Environment:
lh=c:\windows\system32\mscdexnt.exe
but it makes no difference. I've tried putting the CDROM in both drives with no effect.

First, am I correct in my assumption that what it is telling me is "I can't find the cdrom" ??

Second, if so, what else must I configure to make this work??

Reply 1 of 3, by derelict

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

further note: I also finally noticed the "enable low-level cd-rom support" option on the first page of the VDMSound configuration screen!! (I think my screen font is a little too small), so I enabled that and deleted the mscdex entries that I put in 'DOS Environment', which are probably redundant.

Unfortunately, I still get the same failure when I try to start the game.

Several other posters say they've gotten this game running under VDMSound with no problems; obviously I'm missing something simple here. I hope someone here can help!!

(BTW, I've gotten ROTH working under DosBox with no problems, but it's a little jerky in keyboard response, which is why I'm trying VDMSound as well).

Reply 2 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try running the installer on the CD-ROM using VDMSound and reinstalling the game. It's possible that it doesn't know where to find the CD due to having been installed in a different environment.

Also, check for patches on dlh.net.